• Mar 15th, 2011 11:31 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes

RAID1 over eSATA??

Currently running Windows 7 with all my documents, software etc off a 320GB HDD and have it setup as a RAID1 with a second 320GB HDD, this is fine and all if one HDD fails i can just replace the HDD and rebuild the RAID. I also have a 1.5TB HDD that i use to store all my Music, Videos etc. I was going to purchase another 1.5TB HDD and set it up as another RAID1, but these files i would not mind taking with me on a on the road so i want to make it external. I know i can get a USB External HDD and use software to mirror the drives but i want SATA speeds which brings me to eSATA.

I plan on buying a enclosure that has USB and eSATA slapping in a 1.5TB HDD and create a RAID1 using eSATA. So to the questions.

1.) Will it be hot swappable?
2.) Will i be able to take out the external HDD and use it on a say a TV to show pictures on a large TV via USB?
2b.) Will the RAID sync up?
3.) What if i add a new file to the external HDD? will the RAID get messed up?
3b.) What if i add a file to the drive that's in the PC and then plug in the external HDD? will the RAID get messed up?

Is this too much work? should i just buy a 1.5TB external USB drive a use software to create a backup(would prefer a mirror)?
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
jebise wrote: Is this too much work? should i just buy a 1.5TB external USB drive a use software to create a backup(would prefer a mirror)?

Yes, it's too much work. You can buy a USB or eSATA drive, it's not such a big deal. Use robocopy keep your drives mirrored, you can write a batch file to launch it and schedule it to run overnight within windows.

eSATA -- faster mirroring process (but it's overnight so who cares?)

vs

USB -- portability

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)