• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2017 11:11 am
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

Do you have the walmart credit card?

I don't but I do know someone who works at a walmart close by (in the family) and has been told if he doesn't get people to sign up he'll pretty much lose his job (they'll cut his hours back so much that he'll have to get another job).

Personally I have a visa, futureshop card and a decently sized LOC so I said I don't need another one nor do I want a WM card.

I just think that practice is pretty bad and most likely illegal from the labour laws point of view, and it's not that he's not asking if people want to sign up, everyone 98% say no...
20 replies
Feb 9, 2010
193 posts
108 upvotes
Aurora
XtremeModder wrote: I don't but I do know someone who works at a walmart close by (in the family) and has been told if he doesn't get people to sign up he'll pretty much lose his job (they'll cut his hours back so much that he'll have to get another job).

Personally I have a visa, futureshop card and a decently sized LOC so I said I don't need another one nor do I want a WM card.

I just think that practice is pretty bad and most likely illegal from the labour laws point of view, and it's not that he's not asking if people want to sign up, everyone 98% say no...

If you are hired to promote the card,and cant get anyone to sign up while others are able to do it, then it is a question of non performance( it might be a good idea to figure if you are suited for the job).But if you are hired for other reasons cashier etc,then that is your job , and part of it is to promote the card.They cant cut hours for that without other explanation.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
They aren't doing anything illegal.
XtremeModder wrote: (they'll cut his hours back so much that he'll have to get another job).
So they aren't firing him, they're just making life miserable. Which is common when working for a huge faceless corporation. Home Depot did the same thing to a relative of mine. They scattered his schedule and cut down his hours just enough to make getting a 2nd job impossible...but still not give him enough hours to earn a living.

(I have a Walmart mastercard. I didn't need it, but I can't say no to awesome cleavage.)
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
He's worked there long before the card came around. He's not really caring about finding another job but that's his problem, I just thought it was ridiculous when he told me this last night when I went to go grab a few things from there
Paulfistinyourface wrote: They aren't doing anything illegal.

So they aren't firing him, they're just making life miserable. Which is common when working for a huge faceless corporation. Home Depot did the same thing to a relative of mine. They scattered his schedule and cut down his hours just enough to make getting a 2nd job impossible...but still not give him enough hours to earn a living.

(I have a Walmart mastercard. I didn't need it, but I can't say no to awesome cleavage.)
Mar 14, 2006
655 posts
28 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: He's worked there long before the card came around. He's not really caring about finding another job but that's his problem, I just thought it was ridiculous when he told me this last night when I went to go grab a few things from there
This happens at many companies that deal with banks. Future Shop and Best Buy employees performance is based on how many extended warranties they sell. Marketers graded on how many clients they sign up for the services sell. The list goes on.

This is just part of the process of companies trying to make their employees more productive.
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
The employees are pretty much motivated to promote this card either at cashier or at the sign up stand.

I shop at Walmart frequently for my baby's things and I was promoted to this card every time I am at the cashier even though I already have it.
There is this one time, I took out my Walmart Mastercard and placed in her hand and she still asked me if I want to apply for Walmart Mastercard.

This card is not bad actually.
You get 1.25% at Walmart stores and 1% else where. And you can redeem your points at any Walmart store with increments of $5.
Unlike other cards where they give you the rebate next year January or when your point balance is high enough like in the $50 (MBNA SC) and $20 (PCF).

Here is what I would do with this card. Since it is 1%, I use this card everywhere I go especially at Walmart. Then use MBNA Smart Cash at Gas pumps and grocery.
The cheques for MBNA's Smart Cash just take too damn longto arrive. I like the idea of instant redemption at the stores.

If you don't shop at Walmart, then no need to get this card.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Is there a better free cedit card? Please let us know. I used BMO MasterCard with .5% cash back until this one came along.

I don't use it all the time. For small businesses that I feel good about, out comes the debit card or cash.
Jan 30, 2006
870 posts
303 upvotes
Actually 1.25% for walmart purchases just pathetic.
they could offer 3%. And it would be a little bit more interesting

Honestly saying walmart prices are not really competitive in Canada. We do shopping there from time to time but spend about maybe 5% of our shopping budget
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: no, not planning to get it in the near future. Maybe when they offer free $30 o first use? xD
When I got mine back in Oct/Nov I was given $25. But I had to use the card twice, once in a Walmart store and once somewhere else, to get the rebate. I applied in-store and I had the card in my hand 6 business days later.

The day I got it I went back to Walmart and bought a package of socks because one can always use more socks. And then I had the brunch special at a small local restaurant, which I do from time to time anyways. It took a couple days for the charges to push thru and hit my account, and the $25 rebate showed up immediately that same day.

Bam...$25 off the running shoes I needed to buy before I went on vacation.

I paid off the balance about a week later and the card now sits locked in my safe. I haven't used it since.

(They were pretty generous with the credit limit too.)

EDIT. I wanted to say: the Walmart MC website for cardholders looks eerily similar to the Chase credit cardholder website. Everything is identical, except the logos and such.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
ACC-Major wrote: T
This card is not bad actually.
You get 1.25% at Walmart stores and 1% else where. A.

The card is crap. Smartcash beats it's reward ratio, and on top of that, offers extended warranty, car rental coverage, purchase protection, and travel insurance... Walmart card has none of these.

I will not even look at a card that does not offer extended warranty and purchase protection, it's a basic requirement of a CC IMO.

I also see every cashier promote this card on every checkout ("is this purchase going to be on your Walmart rewards card today?"), but when I say "no thanks", they always stop there - I have never seen any "pressuring" to sign up, unlike FS/BB extended warranties. I have yet to see anyone actually sign up for the card at the checkout either, I doubt it is very popular.
EDIT. I wanted to say: the Walmart MC website for cardholders looks eerily similar to the Chase credit cardholder website. Everything is identical, except the logos and such.
It's not a Chase card, but it is possible Chase and Walmart are both outsourcing their CC websites to the same company or something.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
3648 posts
3043 upvotes
brunes wrote: It's not a Chase card, but it is possible Chase and Walmart are both outsourcing their CC websites to the same company or something.

The new PC Mastercard website also looks just like the Walmart one.

Do the cashiers still get in trouble if a customer already has the card (and therefore doesn't sign up for it again)? I got one for the $25, but stopped using it when Walmart started to count as a grocery store for the 3% Smart Cash.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
brunes wrote: It's not a Chase card, but it is possible Chase and Walmart are both outsourcing their CC websites to the same company or something.
Oh yeah. I figured that. I was just saying they look alike.

My guess is it's probably they both purchased their website software from the same maker.
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
bubak wrote: The new PC Mastercard website also looks just like the Walmart one.

Do the cashiers still get in trouble if a customer already has the card (and therefore doesn't sign up for it again)? I got one for the $25, but stopped using it when Walmart started to count as a grocery store for the 3% Smart Cash.

Walmart is a grocery now? Even those old non grocery walmart stores are now under the grocery header? Never knew.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
3648 posts
3043 upvotes
ACC-Major wrote: Walmart is a grocery now? Even those old non grocery walmart stores are now under the grocery header? Never knew.

No. Sorry to mislead you. But all the Walmarts around where I live are Supercentres (with groceries), and they all give 3% on my Smart Cash.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
1348 posts
98 upvotes
Brampton
I have the Walmart MC, I figured it was no different and inferior to the MBNA SC, so I wasn't too excited or motivated to use it. I figure before the walmart turned into a grocery store, I spent about $2000 a year at walmart, so I did it for the 1.25. And use my MC SC other places where I get the 3%. Where I get 1% at both locations, I use the Walmart card, just so I can save up and buy something decent, and then I'll never use it again. I'm at exactly 200.00 in reward points. I think at 250, I'll grab something and that will be the end of that. Been saving up since October and in December they even gave me double points if I used the card 5 times total. That was awesome.

Plus I used it to buy my ipads, and they declined the 3rd transaction because it was in the states, even though I called and stated that i was out of the country on this date and needed a preauth for that amount. They credited me the amount in rewards. That was really good CS on their part. So I got my MBNA % and walmart too.

MBNA has screwed me a few times on large or multiple purchases, and didn't offer me my rewards back. Just said, 'sorry' so take that for what its worth. I'd I've been a MBNA customer since 2002.
10 Years Registered on RFD, Was probably the best Lurker there ever was. And then I registered. Only took me 4 years...
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Vednar wrote: MBNA has screwed me a few times on large or multiple purchases, and didn't offer me my rewards back. Just said, 'sorry' so take that for what its worth. I'd I've been a MBNA customer since 2002.

Story time? :)
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
I got the FS card so I can defer large payments ($2000+) over a year or 18 months so I don't have to drop all that $ at once
brunes wrote: The card is crap. Smartcash beats it's reward ratio, and on top of that, offers extended warranty, car rental coverage, purchase protection, and travel insurance... Walmart card has none of these.

I will not even look at a card that does not offer extended warranty and purchase protection, it's a basic requirement of a CC IMO.

I also see every cashier promote this card on every checkout ("is this purchase going to be on your Walmart rewards card today?"), but when I say "no thanks", they always stop there - I have never seen any "pressuring" to sign up, unlike FS/BB extended warranties. I have yet to see anyone actually sign up for the card at the checkout either, I doubt it is very popular.

It's not a Chase card, but it is possible Chase and Walmart are both outsourcing their CC websites to the same company or something.
Feb 8, 2017
1 posts
I just got one last week. I am just not sure what are real benefits of the card. except the lady who sold me the card :P.

I followed, Walmart Credit Card Login guide to login into my account and it worked.

Update:
Walmart seems to have introduced a Mastercard version of the card as well. You can find the description here.
Last edited by iammatt on Feb 9th, 2017 5:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)