• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2011 7:28 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 19, 2001
68 posts
1 upvote

Scotia Bank Collection of Information

I went to be added to a family member's safety deposit box at Scotia Bank today (I deal with a different FI) and the person started asking me questions like how long I've been with my current employer and what I make in monthly income. I asked the person why they needed this information for a safety deposit box and they said it was mandatory as I was becoming a Scotia Bank client. I asked if they were going to hit my credit bureau and the person said "I don't think so". I told them to go and check and they came back saying no (I wasn't convinced they knew what they were doing). I said I refuse to provide this information and didn't proceed with making the safety deposit box joint. Is this standard procedure for Scotia Bank? Seems like way too much information. I wouldn't tell them all of this even if I was opening an account. Is there someone i can make a complaint to? I'm going to have my family member pull all of their business from Scotia Bank. I'm not impressed at all. :mad:
3 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
maybe he was making conversation and wanted to know more about you to tailor which other products he could sell you
"We don't have a soul... We are a soul. We have a body." ~C.S Lewis
Jul 19, 2001
68 posts
1 upvote
The person specifically told me it was mandatory information I provide.
Sep 4, 2010
374 posts
35 upvotes
No, it sounds like they were making a customer profile of you.

It does seem excessive. Maybe try again tomorrow (if you're willing...), and just refuse the employment info? The questions asked does sound like the standard stuff they ask everyone unfortunately.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)