Personal Finance

Locked: Thoughts on the budget? Looks like an election....

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2011 11:10 am
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1753 posts
1902 upvotes

Thoughts on the budget? Looks like an election....

Any thoughts on the budget that just got released today? I'm reading along with a live cast, and looks like the NDP(Jack) said they would not be supporting the budget in the current form. Time for a spring election?
86 replies
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
29 upvotes
I'm pretty sure there will be an election. Pretty lackluster budget IMHO.
Mar 2, 2011
190 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
God, I hope not. If they defeat the gov't their going to regret it. What's te point? The Cons will have more seats then they do now.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2010
2021 posts
15 upvotes
Not too thrilled with the budget. Election here we come.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How would this election affect the market? :lol:
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Mar 2, 2011
190 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jon Lai wrote: How would this election affect the market? :lol:

It wouldn't. The biggest factors on the Canadian markets are all external....price of oil, price of USD, US monetary and fiscal policy etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1289 posts
255 upvotes
Montreal
An election? AGAIN!?! Arrghhh! :evil: > :(
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
1390 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
armyguy25 wrote: God, I hope not. If they defeat the gov't their going to regret it. What's te point? The Cons will have more seats then they do now.

Not according to Polls and not according to there many ftarded moves (hey let's spend 26 Million in commercials to let everyone know about our economic "action" plan).
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1473 posts
17 upvotes
No more election please. I'm voting against whoever triggers it. (You hear that Iggy and Jack?)
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
A certain political party is probably dead meat once the CMHC starts collapsing, so they better go into an election soon while they can still hang onto their position in the House of Commons.

I won't say which, as politics is off-topic, but use your imagination :P.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mattpiloto wrote: No more election please. I'm voting against whoever triggers it. (You hear that Iggy and Jack?)

None of them can trigger it by themselves so your point is moot.
Tons of things for sale!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
Trend in the past 3 elections has been for the Libs to lose a few seats, the Cons to gain a few and the NDP and Bloc to remain irrelevant, so I won't mind another. 2.5 years are up, we're due anyway.
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
it's a really big issue, haven't really dived into it but
i would draw attention to it's plan to increase funding for university research, i give that a thumbs up.

i'm kind of more concerned with if they will follow the lead to what the us are doing...
most of what i've read was a mess of political jargon and egos so haven't really cared to look into more...

but my overall impression, i see a strategy and i see what it tries to do, however like any plan you can find a billion flaws, a billion criticisms
for most people it's about trust and i would say people have little of that so ya let's waste more money on another election.

perfect, our system is just perfect.
"We don't have a soul... We are a soul. We have a body." ~C.S Lewis
May 10, 2005
900 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
a2vr6 wrote: Not according to Polls and not according to there many ftarded moves (hey let's spend 26 Million in commercials to let everyone know about our economic "action" plan).

Which polls have you seen? The conservatives are flirting with majority numbers now.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spud72 wrote: Which polls have you seen? The conservatives are flirting with majority numbers now.

With the margin of error accounted for?
Tons of things for sale!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
Spud72 wrote: Which polls have you seen? The conservatives are flirting with majority numbers now.

At best. At worst they're at the exact same numbers as 2008, making the election a huge waste of time and money. How does Mr. Layton justify voting against hundreds of millions pumped into the GIS system for low income seniors in favor of roughly the same amount of money spent on an election?

That being said, has anyone ruled out the Libs supporting the budget? They're about as ready to win an election as the Edmonton Oilers are ready to win the Stanley Cup!
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
May 10, 2005
900 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
Thalo wrote: At best. At worst they're at the exact same numbers as 2008, making the election a huge waste of time and money. How does Mr. Layton justify voting against hundreds of millions pumped into the GIS system for low income seniors in favor of roughly the same amount of money spent on an election?

That being said, has anyone ruled out the Libs supporting the budget? They're about as ready to win an election as the Edmonton Oilers are ready to win the Stanley Cup!

The Liberals said outright they wont support the budget.

I don't really see anything to gain by anyone but the conservatives. Nobody wants one, the country is doing OK and the biggest "scandals" the opposition has is the conservatives spending their own money in the last election (which was already OKd once, now it isn't, going to court again) and some ditzy minister who doesn't know if/what she signed anything.

Pretty weak.
May 10, 2005
900 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
Jon Lai wrote: With the margin of error accounted for?
When respondents were asked which party they supported, about 39 per cent said Conservative. Here are the results (percentage-point change from last month in brackets):

* Conservatives: 38.6 per cent (-1.1)
* Liberals: 27.6 per cent (+1)
* NDP: 19.9 per cent (+1)
* Bloc Quebecois: 10.1 per cent (+0.2)
* Greens: 3.8 per cent (-1.1)

# The survey involved 1,216 Canadians 18 years of age and older
# It was conducted between March 12 and 15
# Results are accurate to within 2.8 percentage points, 19 times out of 20
Remember margin of error goes both ways, it could in theory give the cons a 43% on the extreme. 40 is the usual number used for majority government. Of course, it could take more/less depending on specific ridings, but it's a good rule of thumb.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
Libs and NDP have absolutely nothing to gain, if an election is called. I find it to be ridiculously stupid on their part for not supporting the budget when they have nothing to gain. Like others have said, if the budget falls, and triggers a big waste of money in terms of election, tories will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Shame on you NDP/Libs.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
2043 posts
793 upvotes
Ottawa
Spud72 wrote: The Liberals said outright they wont support the budget.

I don't really see anything to gain by anyone but the conservatives. Nobody wants one, the country is doing OK and the biggest "scandals" the opposition has is the conservatives spending their own money in the last election (which was already OKd once, now it isn't, going to court again) and some ditzy minister who doesn't know if/what she signed anything.

Pretty weak.

I don't think the scandals have been "pretty weak". Usually, political scandals involve strictly personal mistakes that have little or nothing to do with politics. However, these scandals show that the Conservative Party has a history of dishonesty. The elections scandal is serious because it violates election rules which even the playing field for all parties. Not only did the Conservatives lie in order to go above the federal spending limit they also faked expenses at the riding level in order to obtain bigger refunds from Elections Canada. In order to not get caught once the investigation began they also lied to investigators and created fake invoices. Candidates who refused to participate in the deceit were punished by the party. Read more here.

The Bev Oda scandal also shows the the dishonesty within the Conservative government. She lied about who was responsible for deciding not to give an organization funding. The Conservatives did not want it to be known that the organization was denied funding for political reasons (it was criticized by the Conservatives for it's views on Israel). Oda lied about who denied the funding and the speaker of the house found that she was possibly in contempt of Parliament (a very serious charge).

There have been numerous other scandals involving the dishonest of the Conservative Party. I am welcoming an election so that the general public can be better informed about the seriousness of the scandals of the current government.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)