None
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg

Splitting Ethernet Connection

Hello,

What is the cheapest/best way to split an ethernet connection?

I have a gigabit wireless router in my basement. One of the cables goes to my PS3. My receiver also takes internet but there is no cable run for it. What is the best way to split that connection into two so I can run both?

Note: I do not want to do wireless.

Thanks!
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
pswart wrote: Hello,

What is the cheapest/best way to split an ethernet connection?

I have a gigabit wireless router in my basement. One of the cables goes to my PS3. My receiver also takes internet but there is no cable run for it. What is the best way to split that connection into two so I can run both?

Note: I do not want to do wireless.

Thanks!

Does your router have ports in the back?
All you need is more network cables to go to the devices.
The main one goes to the WAN port, the splitting cables go into the numbered ports.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1297 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Buy a 4 or 5 port Gigabit switch. They can be found for about $50 or less.
On the cheap a 10/100 switch would work as well.
Bill
My blog
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2007
3648 posts
800 upvotes
yep, cleaner look would be to run an extra cable if you can, otherwise just plug the existing cable into a cheap switch and then your two devices into the switch.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
canadiankorean wrote: Does your router have ports in the back?
All you need is more network cables to go to the devices.
The main one goes to the WAN port, the splitting cables go into the numbered ports.

The problem is I'd have to get the wire down to the basement somehow...not an easy task.

Do they make 2 or 3 port switches? I was looking up devices and saw a 2 port splitter but it said you had to buy two and have one on each end. Do they make ones that I could just plug into like a normal switch (is the right term active switch?)

My house is wired with Cat6 and everything else is gigabit and I need to maintain the gigabit network.

Any recommendations on which switches to get? (I have a few instances like this in my house)
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
you could use a simple repeater, which is a wireless bridge and place the repeater right behind/next to your reciever.

or you could use powerline ethernet but it doesnt run at gigabit speeds, then again gigabit is overkill unless you transfer files frequently
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
pswart wrote: The problem is I'd have to get the wire down to the basement somehow...not an easy task.

Do they make 2 or 3 port switches? I was looking up devices and saw a 2 port splitter but it said you had to buy two and have one on each end. Do they make ones that I could just plug into like a normal switch (is the right term active switch?)

My house is wired with Cat6 and everything else is gigabit and I need to maintain the gigabit network.

Any recommendations on which switches to get? (I have a few instances like this in my house)

You pretty much have to connect a CAT5e/6 cable from the router to the gigabit switch. Something like this 5-port D-Link gigabit switch would work.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54870 ... omoid=1280

Connect one CAT5e/6 cable from a LAN port on the router to one of the switch ports. Then, connect CAT5e/6 patch cables between the switch's other remaining ports to your network devices.

Gigabit network is maintained. (by the way, Cat6 and Cat5e is gigabit so I'm not sure I understand that part).
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
lol i wonder how those work? theres no way to address an ip and to know who the packets are sent to lol
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
Tainger wrote: lol i wonder how those work? theres no way to address an ip and to know who the packets are sent to lol

Yeah, I don't know what those would be used for. Maybe connecting multiple computers together directly?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
DiceMan wrote: You pretty much have to connect a CAT5e/6 cable from the router to the gigabit switch. Something like this 5-port D-Link gigabit switch would work.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54870 ... omoid=1280

Connect one CAT5e/6 cable from a LAN port on the router to one of the switch ports. Then, connect CAT5e/6 patch cables between the switch's other remaining ports to your network devices.

Gigabit network is maintained. (by the way, Cat6 and Cat5e is gigabit so I'm not sure I understand that part).

Alright, that's what I originally thought...I was just hoping that someone would know of a 2 or 3 port version since 5 ports is overkill and I'm paying for extra ports which won't be used.

Thanks for the input.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
soul_taker wrote: I don't claim to know anything about ethernet or how it works. But would something like this work? I see them on DX and Focal for like $1.50 all the time.
[IMG]http://www.optimization-world.com/img/p ... ter_lg.jpg[/IMG]

Those will NOT work in any way whatsoever.

You need a switch.
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2599 posts
122 upvotes
they don't make 2-3 port switches, and a 2 port switch wouldn't even work.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Blueroom wrote: Buy a 4 or 5 port Gigabit switch. They can be found for about $50 or less.
On the cheap a 10/100 switch would work as well.
mariokarter wrote: they don't make 2-3 port switches, and a 2 port switch wouldn't even work.

That's your answer - A SWITCH

I'd get gigabit switch even if you're not using the speed (yet). If you're cheap, get 5-port then and you have 4 connections because one port has to be connected to the CAT5/6 leading to that room... best $20-30 you'd spend on.

All the other suggestions are plain wrong as indicated.

If you don't even have a CAT5/6 wire installed, then you may consider wireless or powerline solutions.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
ppl4golf wrote: That's your answer - A SWITCH

I'd get gigabit switch even if you're not using the speed (yet). If you're cheap, get 5-port then and you have 4 connections because one port has to be connected to the CAT5/6 leading to that room... best $20-30 you'd spend on.

All the other suggestions are plain wrong as indicated.

If you don't even have a CAT5/6 wire installed, then you may consider wireless or powerline solutions.

I'm considering this one:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=24754&vpn ... re=Netgear

Due to it's compact size.
Would the energy savings be noteworthy to go with a green switch?

This one is nice and cheap though:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/tp- ... 2a2b34en02

Does it matter if it is unmanaged?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1705 posts
61 upvotes
Windsor
Tainger wrote: lol i wonder how those work? theres no way to address an ip and to know who the packets are sent to lol
Those take advantage of the fact that 10 and 100baseT only need two pairs of wires, and there's 4 pairs in an ethernet line.. Far easier to put a cheap 5 port switch in.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
pswart wrote: I'm considering this one:

For your needs, not at all. Managed components tend to be aimed at business use and are more expensive. If the price was the same, I'd go for a green switch over not green but I wouldn't expect the energy savings to be noteworthy (I do have a green switch).

The D-Link at NCIX I posted above is green and fairly inexpensive at $29 for five ports.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
pswart wrote: I'm considering this one:

UNMANAGED and whatever cheaper the better.
These SWITCHES are not rocket science/cutting edge technology...stupid easy to use, literally it's just like splitting a cable. CHEAPER THE BETTER :) Get gigabit as the improvement over 10/100 is huge when it comes the time you take advantage of the speed.

I personally have an 8-port and 2 5-port white D-Link giga switches plus a Netgear I got from Factory Direct for $20. They all work great. I am sure all the newer ones are low energy consumption and 'green' so to speak. The D-Link can act up occasionally and not being kept powered on by my laser printer. I rearranged the cables/ports and they seem to work fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thank you to everyone for your help!