• Mar 29th, 2011 2:24 am
Tags:
None
Sep 10, 2008
822 posts
28 upvotes
Waterloo

OCZ Vertex 2 drives slower than before?

I have heard people say that due to a manufacturing process change (25nm currently vs 32nm before?), the newer production OCZ Vertex 2 drives are significantly slower but OCZ has not changed the model number nor have they changed the advertised throughput.

I wasn't ever aware of this until about a week ago, but it seems unfair to advertise the old speeds on the new Vertex 2's. Apparently, the only way you can find out if you have the new revision or not is to actually benchmark it. You will know if you have the new revision because it will be much slower than the posted benchmarks on the web, and you will see less space on your drive. This thread is just a word of caution.

Thoughts?

Edit: Found a source:

http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_vertex ... d22vtxe60g
8 replies
Dec 23, 2006
801 posts
198 upvotes
Montreal
They've also done this with their USB thumbdrives. OCZ is a company to avoid at all costs. Dispicible practices. If you check their forums, it's all over...
358 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Except Intel is most likely getting out of the SSD business (at least making their own SSDs)... they already are outsourcing their high end SSDs to Marvell, their next line of SSDs will be from Sandforce.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
OCZ is fine from my own experience. They stand behind their products. They honour their MIRs.

I have 4 OCZ USB keys. One of them a 32GB Ralley2 three years ago. Failed after one year, RMAed it and got a new one. Got a 4GB, 8GB, 16GB Diesel USB keys - based on what I paid with MIR, I'm happy. If I wanted top speed would have gotten another Ralley2, or one of the top rated units for speed.

I got an OCZ Vertex 2 160GB a two months back (same time as this 34nm/25nm NAND sillyness). No issues. It is fast! I'm having a blast with it as a prototyping drive installing different OS and testing with it. I'm able to do 3 times the work in same amount of time!

I have an OCZ ModXStream 700W p/s. They were willing to RMA it when I complained about a slight sqeek when the unit was under load. I got a brand new unit. It powered an AMD X6 CPU and GTX 570 GPU both overclocked without a problem - I did heavy benchmarking during the OC testing, running LinX tests for 3 days or maxing out the GPU for several hours.

According to all the bad things on the OCZ forum, my systems should be a walking disaster and I wouldn't be able to get much work done.

We have to be realistic about computer stuff. After 6 months any piece of equipment is yesterday's news, and will be superceded by something faster.

I don't think OCZ is not ripping us off. The way they lower their prices (+MIR), they are helping us get great technology cheaper. (For that we should be happy!) :)
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local
I was questioning this myself. They now have a "new 16 chips solutions model"....The part # is the same except without the "e"

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58923&vpn ... Technology

It's a 25nm with a 32gb die instead of the 64gb or wutever....that thing is called. Theres a 60+ page forum thread about it on the ocz website somewhere and somewhere scattered in there, they compare the 32nm 32gb die vs the 25nm 64gb and 25nm 32gb die......I think I recall reading that the new 16chip solution with the 25nm bencmarks should be quite similar....or close enough that it shouldn't be of concern....

I bought one and i dunno wut to think...are my speeds good?

as ssd benchmark
read write
seq 183 mb 66mb
4k 12mb 37mb
4k-64thrd 74mb 64mb
acc.time .158ms .405ms
score 104 108
total 264....
this was when I almost first got it....
it seems each time i benchmark either gets slower cuz i take up more space or something so i try not to.

this is on a 60gb vertex 2 16 chip solutions.
Sep 10, 2008
822 posts
28 upvotes
Waterloo
john widow wrote: I was questioning this myself. They now have a "new 16 chips solutions model"....The part # is the same except without the "e"

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58923&vpn ... Technology

It's a 25nm with a 32gb die instead of the 64gb or wutever....that thing is called. Theres a 60+ page forum thread about it on the ocz website somewhere and somewhere scattered in there, they compare the 32nm 32gb die vs the 25nm 64gb and 25nm 32gb die......I think I recall reading that the new 16chip solution with the 25nm bencmarks should be quite similar....or close enough that it shouldn't be of concern....

I bought one and i dunno wut to think...are my speeds good?

as ssd benchmark
read write
seq 183 mb 66mb
4k 12mb 37mb
4k-64thrd 74mb 64mb
acc.time .158ms .405ms
score 104 108
total 264....
this was when I almost first got it....
it seems each time i benchmark either gets slower cuz i take up more space or something so i try not to.

this is on a 60gb vertex 2 16 chip solutions.

If I'm not mistaken, benchmarking too much isn't very good for the drive.

But on the other hand, with TRIM enabled, the speeds should still be similar, not getting slower.

Can anyone else perhaps confirm if what I'm saying has any validity to it?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
OCZ might make some decent products, but every product they sell is tainted with MIR. I can see that there are legitimate reasons for an MIR; if the retailer is not passing and price cuts to the customer, or to be flexible and run limited promotions without incurring the wrath of wholesale sellers who have large inventory of your products and now have to burden slimmer margins because of a recent promotion.

The first point, hardware resellers typically live on slim margins, less than 5%, to stay competitive in reselling computer hardware you have to pass the savings to the customer and work with high volume.

The 2nd point, OCZ has the exact same rebate 24/7 365 days a year on every product, they are not using the MIR for special promotion.

OCZ is just using a technicality to make their products look more competitively priced. They rely on a large % of MIRs not being sent or have problems, in order to pad their income.

There are people who are able to get the rebate 100% of the time, but that money you got through MIR should have been yours in the first place. Filling in forms, licking stamps, and calling them to get the money that is yours is just ridiculous.

OCZ is disingenuous at the very start with their prices and MIR games, I can only imagine that the rest of the company and it's products are also consistent with that level of deceit.

From my experience of my OCZ vertex 1, OCZ is indeed the worldcom/enron of the computer industry, I never got my MIR. I checked, and apparently the rebate was approved, and the cheque sent out, but I never got any cheque. When I went to check my rebate status, 4 months had already elapsed and they can not issue me another cheque. So basically, they have my $30. Add insult to injury, my OCZ vertex died within a year and took all my work with it, some of the work and files I will never get back.

I am not dealing with this pariah of a company ever again.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)