Computers & Electronics

best and simpliest way to wipe hard drive in Windows 7?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2011 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Mar 28, 2011
37 posts
Fort Mc Murray AB

best and simpliest way to wipe hard drive in Windows 7?

Wipe clean (so i can put it in my Mac), dont want to put format cause for some reason it makes you put Windows 7 back on when i put in the W7 disc. Is there no way to just wipe it clean from windows desktop itself?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
JiroPitalover wrote: Wipe clean (so i can put it in my Mac), dont want to put format cause for some reason it makes you put Windows 7 back on when i put in the W7 disc. Is there no way to just wipe it clean from windows desktop itself?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. You say you want to wipe it for a Mac, but then mention putting the W7 disc back in. What's your goal? There's no way for you to 'wipe' it from the desktop. Especially if you are trying to install it into another system.

If you want a fresh drive, then format. And of course it wants to reinstall when you put in the W7 disc. That's what it's for.

Please clarify your problem and goal and I'm sure you'll get your answer.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
64 upvotes
Burlington
If the drive is running your OS you would have to mount it as a secondary drive on another computer and format it that way.

Alternatively you would have to make a CD/USB boot disk with a program like DBAN that would allow you to format the disk while still residing in the computer chassis.
Banned
Mar 28, 2011
37 posts
Fort Mc Murray AB
TotallyKiller wrote: I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. You say you want to wipe it for a Mac, but then mention putting the W7 disc back in. What's your goal? There's no way for you to 'wipe' it from the desktop. Especially if you are trying to install it into another system.

If you want a fresh drive, then format. And of course it wants to reinstall when you put in the W7 disc. That's what it's for.

Please clarify your problem and goal and I'm sure you'll get your answer.

I just want to wipe the drive clean so i can put it in my mac and put OSX on. I tried putting my W7 disc in but it will automatically put windows 7 back on after you delete the partition.

Is there no way to just wipe it? i know with XP you could do this in DOS.
Banned
Mar 28, 2011
37 posts
Fort Mc Murray AB
Anathem wrote: If the drive is running your OS you would have to mount it as a secondary drive on another computer and format it that way.

Alternatively you would have to make a CD/USB boot disk with a program like DBAN that would allow you to format the disk while still residing in the computer chassis.

ive looked into DBAN.

1) can i burn the ISO to DVD instead of CD?

2) Will it remove the NTFS state from my drive? in other words, i run DBAN, it will still remain a NTFS drive after right?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3284 posts
70 upvotes
JiroPitalover wrote: ive looked into DBAN.

1) can i burn the ISO to DVD instead of CD?

2) Will it remove the NTFS state from my drive? in other words, i run DBAN, it will still remain a NTFS drive after right?

You can burn it to dvd
Is you wipe it, it's not formatted at all, so it's not ntfs anymore.
Banned
Mar 28, 2011
37 posts
Fort Mc Murray AB
new_vr wrote: You can burn it to dvd
Is you wipe it, it's not formatted at all, so it's not ntfs anymore.

ok so after i do this can i put it in my mac and that will format it as NTFS? or do i have to format it NTFS before putting Mac OSX on?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
Since you are going to put the drive into your own Mac, don't bother wiping or erasing it.

Just put it into the target machine then format then you are good to go.