Computers & Electronics

Current Cogeco Customer wanting VOIP HELP!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2011 12:09 am
Tags:
None
Jul 27, 2007
147 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario

Current Cogeco Customer wanting VOIP HELP!!!

I currently have cogeco internet and basic phone. I am spending around 80 bucks a month for the 2. First off I want to know if its going to be worth my while to change to someone else. Secondly, I have it set up for cable internet and prefer the reliability and speed upgrade with my cable over DSL. I run a Dlink DIR-615 wireless N router for the wireless capability. Im brand new with this venture into the world of VOIP. Is it possible to have voip with a cable internet connection? If so, what would I have to add or modify from my setup to make this possible? Im hoping someone can help me with a step by step process of what Id need to do. Im open to leaving cogeco for both internet and phone, however id like to stay with the cable style internet for reasons stated above. My phone lines were converted when a cogeco tech installed the cogeco phone from the pre-existing bell setup. So is it worth it for me to possible make the change in internet and/or phone? I need long distance calling. How much am I looking at saving? Any help is appreciated.. thx
4 replies
Mar 22, 2010
59 posts
17 upvotes
Demeech wrote: I currently have cogeco internet and basic phone. I am spending around 80 bucks a month for the 2. First off I want to know if its going to be worth my while to change to someone else. Secondly, I have it set up for cable internet and prefer the reliability and speed upgrade with my cable over DSL. I run a Dlink DIR-615 wireless N router for the wireless capability. Im brand new with this venture into the world of VOIP. Is it possible to have voip with a cable internet connection? If so, what would I have to add or modify from my setup to make this possible? Im hoping someone can help me with a step by step process of what Id need to do. Im open to leaving cogeco for both internet and phone, however id like to stay with the cable style internet for reasons stated above. My phone lines were converted when a cogeco tech installed the cogeco phone from the pre-existing bell setup. So is it worth it for me to possible make the change in internet and/or phone? I need long distance calling. How much am I looking at saving? Any help is appreciated.. thx

I just did what your talking about.
first buy a linksys PAP2T-NA from ncix or similar online store. about $50
Set up an account at Voip.ms
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125417 nice how to second post down.
Port old number $25 if you want same number.
Jun 2, 2008
504 posts
62 upvotes
Demeech wrote: I currently have cogeco internet and basic phone. I am spending around 80 bucks a month for the 2. First off I want to know if its going to be worth my while to change to someone else. Secondly, I have it set up for cable internet and prefer the reliability and speed upgrade with my cable over DSL. I run a Dlink DIR-615 wireless N router for the wireless capability. Im brand new with this venture into the world of VOIP. Is it possible to have voip with a cable internet connection? If so, what would I have to add or modify from my setup to make this possible? Im hoping someone can help me with a step by step process of what Id need to do. Im open to leaving cogeco for both internet and phone, however id like to stay with the cable style internet for reasons stated above. My phone lines were converted when a cogeco tech installed the cogeco phone from the pre-existing bell setup. So is it worth it for me to possible make the change in internet and/or phone? I need long distance calling. How much am I looking at saving? Any help is appreciated.. thx

I did exactly what you are asking about. Read through this thread and you'll know everything necessary to venture into the world of self-administered VOIP.

voip-ms-did-sale-ont-que-878432/
Feb 9, 2009
18 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
I currently have Cogeco Internet with VOIP.MS. I changed from Bell Canada paying $80 a month to Vonage. Once the two years with Vonage was finished I move on for an additional cost saving, I went to VOIP.MS and I have never looked back. The savings I am realizing is unbelievable. I top up my account by making my payments through Paypal. Payments are made in US dollars. I can go into my account with VOIP.MS and make adjustments, look at, download and/or print any reports that I want. I would recommend VOIP.MS to anyone that is looking to lessen their cost of communications like I did (I was becoming phone poor).
I purchased my adapters from Canada Computers. Last September, I added another DID $4.95 USD/m for my daughter who started at a university in Toronto and lives in a residence. After I set up the internet for her at her residence, it costs us absolutely nothing to talk to her in Toronto from our main phone at home 100's of KM away and visa versa we talk as long as we want everday.
I cannot express how happy I am VOIP.MS. It's awesome. I must sound like a salesperson for VOIP.MS, let me assure you that I am not. I am just a very happy customer who always looks for the best deal.
PS. You might be like me at first, I had a tough start learning about VOIP but once I got through that initial learning curve I was fine. I was able to make adjustments to the adapters once I understood what had to be done. VOIP.MS Support was very helpful too. But mostly I learned myself you don't really have to be techsavvy just do some research or ask questions.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
or you can buy Magic Jack for about $40.Extra $10 for a Canadian number.