• Apr 9th, 2011 10:28 am
Tags:
None
Dec 12, 2010
179 posts
4 upvotes

Advice on headphones!

Hey guys, im looking to buy a new pair of headphones,

out of the 1) Sennheiser Over-the-Head Headphones (HD 428)
2) Audio-Technica Headphones (ATH-M35)
3) Sennheiser Headband Headphones (HD438)

which is better?
im looking for comfort, good sound quality, good build quality and noise cancellation

i also listen to trance and mainstream music

any help would be appreciated!! thanks!
17 replies
Jan 2, 2011
135 posts
12 upvotes
Get Audio Technica ATH-M50 and you will be in heaven.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1521 posts
149 upvotes
Guelph
I don't have any personal experience with any of those, but imo noise cancellation is not a good feature. Get a pair of headphones with better isolation and it'll work almost as well without that hiss (from the built in noise cancellation unit)..
Nom nom nom.
Dec 12, 2010
179 posts
4 upvotes
Wester004 wrote: Get Audio Technica ATH-M50 and you will be in heaven.

seriously? haha better than any of the sennhesiers?
do you have them?

and yea noise isolation was what i was referring to, like earbuds where it physically blocks out outside noise. i believe these do have it.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1521 posts
149 upvotes
Guelph
Well I'd look into reviews on each. First ask if they're closed, semi-open or open headphones. Closed is the best for blocking outside sound (isolation). Then presuming they're all closed then look into reviews (check headfi.org) for each phone and there's bound to be some reference to how well each isolates in the real world.
Nom nom nom.
Dec 12, 2010
179 posts
4 upvotes
bump! anyone else want to weigh in?

or any other suggestions for around that price?
Dec 12, 2010
179 posts
4 upvotes
Anyone know where to get the M50s in GTA?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1521 posts
149 upvotes
Guelph
apark17 wrote: Anyone know where to get the M50s in GTA?

eBay them from unique_squared (they're known to sell LEGIT M50s - there are a lot of fakes out there).

There is a store or two in the GTA but they charge quite a bit more..
Nom nom nom.
Jan 2, 2011
135 posts
12 upvotes
Sorry for a late response.

I've been using the ATH-M50 since ~September. I listen to them at work for 8hrs + Mon-Fri.

They are VERY comfortable with extended use - You won't get tired ears from sound or a sore head.

They are really good for any kind of music, I listen to a lot of metal and even a fair amount of rap, tons of alt/punk rock and they just sound fantastic all around.

At first they don't sound anything out of the ordinary but after 30 or so hours of burn in, they sound superb. This goes with a lot of headphones.

Got mine from B&H photo from the states at $110US paid for the air shipping around 40US to avoid duties and tax. So around 150-160$ CND compared to at Long and Mcquades they are 200$

Good luck, you won't regret. I'm considering another pair for backup.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
ATH-M50 are my defacto recommendation under $200. As above, order from B&Hphoto.com and save some money, or buy from Long and McQuade for $200

ATH-M30 are not bad either
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a big AKG fan (<3 my K501) but I haven't done any research in a looong time.

check www.head-fi.org

Sorry about your wallet :cheesygri
Jan 8, 2004
250 posts
7 upvotes
a side selection if you're not too picky but a lifetime warranty and unchanged design over 20 years for
Koss Portapros

I've a pair and they're pretty fine. I've had technic rpdj 1200s and senn hd280s - both decent headphones but for the price and warranty, I like the koss.
Sep 10, 2008
822 posts
28 upvotes
Waterloo
Audio Technica M50 or A700 are my recommendations below $200

Above $200?

Denon D2000, 100%
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5027 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
$200 for headphones...... Just get some grados at $90.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
hyperactiveme wrote: $200 for headphones...... Just get some grados at $90.

grados are open cans, its hard to use them outside. plus they aren't really good for the music OP is using it for.
Personally, I like Denons 1001. Cheap and nice sounds.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
hyperactiveme wrote: $200 for headphones...... Just get some grados at $90.

Grados are very love/hate sound. It's very "in your face" (soundstage = on stage) but excellent energy/fun sound. I never owned a pair, but they'd be a good compliment to many of the recommendations of this thread.

If you like that sound, the SR125 is a great set.

If you have some solid power going to the phones, AKG K701 would be my recommendation.
Dec 12, 2010
179 posts
4 upvotes
hey guys thanks for all your suggestions!

i wanted to go with the ATH- M50s but i didnt wanna buy it online, so i just went with the shure srh440s @ futureshop. They are cheap and heard some good stuff about them, so i went with em.
Probably going to burn them in tonight and give them a full listen tomorrow. Any suggestions on the burn in process?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)