Computers & Electronics

Macbook/Macbook Pro users - trackpad or mouse?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2011 5:19 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Mar 28, 2011
37 posts
Fort Mc Murray AB

Macbook/Macbook Pro users - trackpad or mouse?

Which do you use more? I generally hate trackpads and always avoided them cause they were a pain in the (you know what). Until I got a MBP and the trackpad on it is amazing. I find when Im out now I no longer have to carry around my cordless mouse cause the trackpad on macs are so good. For general use, I actually find the MBP trackpad is just as good as a mouse.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1521 posts
149 upvotes
Guelph
The touchpad on my MBP makes it's cost 100% worth it, it's absolutely fantastic. I actually bought a magic trackpad too for work using an external monitor. Mac trackpad = God lol.
Nom nom nom.
May 20, 2009
257 posts
1 upvote
Prairies
The unibody MacBook Pro trackpad is the best that I have ever used.

Unless gaming (it is a Mac after all), I find there is no need for a mouse.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Trackpad 100% of the time. I don't even know where my laptop mouse is.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Banned
Mar 28, 2011
37 posts
Fort Mc Murray AB
mmdc wrote: The unibody MacBook Pro trackpad is the best that I have ever used.

Unless gaming (it is a Mac after all), I find there is no need for a mouse.

Well id say photo editing or photoshop youre still better off with a mouse. Try doing video editing with a trackpad ha.

But overall I have to agree that the trackpad alone makes the cost of the MBP worth the cost. I got so sick of having to carry around my mouse with my PC laptop.
Jan 13, 2009
776 posts
12 upvotes
Trackpad by far, although I do have the Magic Mouse. Got it as a gift but never really got used to it compared to the trackpad, it might also have to do with the 13" screen, doesn't really need a mouse.

MB and MBP trackpads my personal favourite in terms of laptop computers on the market. I'd still take my 4 year old first-gen MacBook non-multitouch trackpad over any other trackpad today.

However, the Magic Mouse, while the multitouch is very useful, I find a bit un-ergonomic and uncomfortable compared to other wireless mice out there. Ironically, the most comfortable laptop mouse I've used is the Microsoft one with the BlueTrack (sp?) technology.
Sep 1, 2009
173 posts
12 upvotes
Trackpad 90% of the time for daily tasks. Unless I'm doing some intense work or something tedious than I would grab a mouse. The trackpad is very impressive
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Both. On the go I prefer the touchpad simply because its built in and works well. When Im working with Excel, its very annoying to use the trackpad to scroll around and modify graphs.
Banned
Mar 28, 2011
37 posts
Fort Mc Murray AB
Do you guys use the 2 finger scroll up/down and 3 finger swipe left/right to go back and forward between web pages alot? I find i use it all the time and no longer have to hit the browser back button or browser scroll bar ever. Same with the 2 finger tap to bring up the right click menu. Amazing features.

Any other great features on the MBP trackpad that are exclusive on macs?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1521 posts
149 upvotes
Guelph
JiroPitalover wrote: Do you guys use the 2 finger scroll up/down and 3 finger swipe left/right to go back and forward between web pages alot? I find i use it all the time and no longer have to hit the browser back button or browser scroll bar ever. Same with the 2 finger tap to bring up the right click menu. Amazing features.

Don't forget 4 up/down (windows/desktop). I'm lost without this. Oh and yes, I use the finger gestures a LOT!
Nom nom nom.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Trackpad all the way. It has the perfect texture for gliding the fingers on, and the multi-touch gestures are intuitive and easy to use. As I like to take my MBP away from the desk a lot I find using a mouse has become cumbersome.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1892 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Trackpad most of the time, mouse if I'm playing a game or doing something where I'd need to use the cursor a lot.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1521 posts
149 upvotes
Guelph
hondanation09 wrote: ignorant...the post asks a question...if u have nothing useful to add keep quiet.

Lol c'mon - for the quarter second it takes to see that picture it's a bit funny - I got a chuckle from it :P. And they did say an opinion after the image.
Nom nom nom.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2143 posts
1566 upvotes
Trackpad 100% of the time. Whenever I even have a mouse connected (rarely) I always forget it is even there and end up using the trackpad again out of habit.
JiroPitalover wrote: Do you guys use the 2 finger scroll up/down and 3 finger swipe left/right to go back and forward between web pages alot? I find i use it all the time and no longer have to hit the browser back button or browser scroll bar ever. Same with the 2 finger tap to bring up the right click menu. Amazing features.

I use the 2 finger scroll all the time... not so much the 3 finger back/forward. I haven't been able to get used to that one yet - years and years of clicking the back button is a hard habit to break.

2 finger click to bring up right click menu is useful.

A feature that I've had an issue with is the fact that Mac OS X absolutely sucks when dealing with multiple windows of the same application open, so I've set an "Expose" action so that when I put my mouse in the very bottom left hand corner of the screen, it automatically shows all of the open windows of that app.

Yes, 4 finger up for desktop and 4 finger down for all open windows is also extremely useful.
Sep 1, 2009
173 posts
12 upvotes
3 finger swipe up and down to go from the top of a page to the bottom is my absolute fav. Such a time saver.