Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local

Home Theatre crossover help

Okay with my receiver, I can choose the crossover frequency of either 50hz vs 80hz, no in between. But I also have an option of setting speakers to large or small. My subwoofer also has a crossover in/out option.

my mains are rated down to 55hz
my surrounds are rated down to 60hz
my center is rated down to 70hz

Would the best thing for me to do is set everything to small. Then choose the receiver frequency at 50hz, and choose the subwoofer to crossover in at 70hz?

I have been using 80hz crossover out for a long time. But I am able to locate where the sound is with 80hz. I've recently tried giving it 50hz. Yes, when the sub plays, It's a lot cleaner with that deep uuummmphh feel, but I think I"m missing part of the bass cuz the speakers can't play it loud enough at that low frequency.

If I set the crossover frequency to 80hz on the receiver. Then set the fronts to Large with crossover in on the subwoofer. Can my fronts go down to 70hz while everything else at 80hz?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
never set it to large.

Large means: the speaker is full range. The receiver will redirect all the bass from the subwoofer to the large speaker. So you will LOSE some of the bass content that was supposed to be going to the sub.

80Hz is the safest bet. 50Hz is too low of a setting. You will have a hole in your bass response between 40-60Hz. Setting it to 80 allows the sub to blend well with the mains and gives your speakers some extra headroom.

If you can hear where the bass is coming from, it could be just an issue that your sub is poorly placed. Do the subwoofer crawl test to find the optimal location. Being able to hear where the bass is coming from is due to other issues.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Those that have the same equipment can comment from experience, if you include your hardware.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local
well i decided to move the sub closer to the screen and stick with 80hz to be safe.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1213 posts
91 upvotes
Kitchener
john widow wrote: well i decided to move the sub closer to the screen and stick with 80hz to be safe.

Go with warpdrive's advice and do the subwoofer crawl test first. If you are going to move it, it might as well be to the best spot for it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)