Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto

Kobo vs Kindle

I have looked at the other threads in this section that talk about ebook readers. I am looking to get one for my wife for our anniversary and I have a few months to make up my mind. So after reading some things I have it down to the Kobo wifi and the Kindle. While like that Kobo is compatible to download and read books from the library from what I understand there is a program that I can download on to her laptop to convert those ebooks into a readable format. Correct?

Over all how do the two compare? Speed of turning pages comparable? I will take any other feedback/opinions too.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1685 posts
1122 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
Kindle is much better hardware than the Kobo. Feels solid and is quicker.

And yes, you can download a program that will enable you to read epub books (format most libraries use) on your Kindle, but it depends on how tech savvy you are.
It's an involved process of stripping the DRM from the book, then converting it. Just an FYI, stripping DRM is illegal in the US, not sure if it is in Canada.
For non-DRM epub files, you can easily just convert it using a program called Calibre.

If you want to get a reader like the Kobo, but better made, look into the Sony Reader or Nook (although they are more expensive).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
kittypink wrote: Kindle is much better hardware than the Kobo. Feels solid and is quicker.

And yes, you can download a program that will enable you to read epub books (format most libraries use) on your Kindle, but it depends on how tech savvy you are.
It's an involved process of stripping the DRM from the book, then converting it. Just an FYI, stripping DRM is illegal in the US, not sure if it is in Canada.
For non-DRM epub files, you can easily just convert it using a program called Calibre.

If you want to get a reader like the Kobo, but better made, look into the Sony Reader or Nook (although they are more expensive).
I'm not that tech savy, but she is a bit more than I am. So using the Calibre program to convert to a readable file can be easy only if the ebook is a non-drm epub file but not if it is a drm file. Did I understand that correctly?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24228 posts
43256 upvotes
ONTARIO
D-Roc wrote: I'm not that tech savy, but she is a bit more than I am. So using the Calibre program to convert to a readable file can be easy only if the ebook is a non-drm epub file but not if it is a drm file. Did I understand that correctly?

Well, by default that is true. However there are plugins available for Calibre that will strip away any DRM a book has in seconds. Literally. All you have to do is import the book (drag and drop) into Calibre and the plugin will automatically de-drm the book.
Calibre is amazing. I use it all the time with my Kindle.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote: Well, by default that is true. However there are plugins available for Calibre that will strip away any DRM a book has in seconds. Literally. All you have to do is import the book (drag and drop) into Calibre and the plugin will automatically de-drm the book.
Calibre is amazing. I use it all the time with my Kindle.

Do you have a link to a safe site to get the program and the plug ins? Safe in regards to no viruses, etc
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16790 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
BobSagget wrote: Calibre software:
http://calibre-ebook.com/

DRM plugins/quick tutorial how to install:
http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2011 ... perplexed/

A quick question for Kobo ereader,except chapters online,is there anyway to buy ebook that I can read by kobo? I mean do I have to stick to chapters? for kindle,I assume I have to buy from amazon? Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
smartie wrote: A quick question for Kobo ereader,except chapters online,is there anyway to buy ebook that I can read by kobo? I mean do I have to stick to chapters? for kindle,I assume I have to buy from amazon? Thanks

There are a bunch of online stores that provide epubs that you can buy.

here's a site with some of the bigger ones.

http://www.epubbooks.com/buy-epub-books
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24228 posts
43256 upvotes
ONTARIO
smartie wrote: A quick question for Kobo ereader,except chapters online,is there anyway to buy ebook that I can read by kobo? I mean do I have to stick to chapters? for kindle,I assume I have to buy from amazon? Thanks

You can buy from any store that sells in epub format. You aren't limited to just Chapters. Same goes for the Kindle, it can also read .Mobi format so you aren't limited to the kindle store.
Hell, with Calibre you can convert quite easily between the two formats (and more).

I bought a few books from Nookbooks.com for my Kindle because they had a sale on and it was cheaper than Amazon.com. I stripped out the DRM and converted to .Mobi and within minutes had a copy on my Kindle. So you definitely aren't limited to just one store for either device.
Apr 19, 2007
801 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Sweet thread necromancy incoming...

I took a quick look at the kobo wifi and liked the screen but the font was a bit big, is that dependent on what is being read or is there a setting?
The kindle has text-to-speech which would help me immensely but where can you see one in person?

I'm looking here because I have reading issues and want to try reading more books.
In fact, I don't remember which book I last read or when. It's usually difficult enough that I don't bother so I haven't since who knows when.

Book store selection isn't important, I haven't even read the classic books yet so one step at a time I guess.
:)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
I too would like to know where I could see and handle an Kindle.
Feb 26, 2003
632 posts
79 upvotes
TheLazy1 wrote: Sweet thread necromancy incoming...

I took a quick look at the kobo wifi and liked the screen but the font was a bit big, is that dependent on what is being read or is there a setting?
The kindle has text-to-speech which would help me immensely but where can you see one in person?

I'm looking here because I have reading issues and want to try reading more books.
In fact, I don't remember which book I last read or when. It's usually difficult enough that I don't bother so I haven't since who knows when.

Book store selection isn't important, I haven't even read the classic books yet so one step at a time I guess.
:)

The size of the font on the Kobo can be changed with the navigation key while you are reading the book using the up and down function
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6622 upvotes
London
D-Roc wrote: I too would like to know where I could see and handle an Kindle.
I think either Walmart or Target stores in the US sells Kindles, so they would have display units
Apr 11, 2011
6 posts
Queensland
If you can afford it go with the Kindle, much faster hardware and extremely compatible.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
as a pure ebook reader the e-ink on the Kindle 3 is better than the Kobo. I have the Kindle 3 and can litterally read for hours with no eye strain or fatigue. Kindle has additional features that Kobo and others cannot touch. The 3g version has FREE internet access using Amazons 3g network. The browser is not meant for everyday browsing as it is cumbersome but at least it is there if you need it. Download Calibre and convert book and import into Kindle. I get the National Post sent to my Kindle every morning - automatically and for free.
Apr 19, 2007
801 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I do like the specs more, it's a little odd that you're expected to buy one (at least in Canada) without seeing it in person though.
Aug 20, 2008
766 posts
96 upvotes
I will pick one up in Baltimore next week.
Should I declare it once I come back home? If so, how much do you have to pay approx?
Jan 10, 2010
16 posts
I picked up a Kobo for myself yesterday and I'm fairly pleased with it. If you need/want the extra features of a Kindle, then definitely go for it. It does have a better screen (specifically contrast), among other things, but I found the Kobo's screen to be perfectly legible in direct sunlight as well as artificial low-light conditions. The Kobo serves well as a basic e-Book reader without fancy bells and whistles, and I liked being able to walk into a Futureshop to get one instead of dealing with shipping and/or driving south to get the Kindle.

Inputting my long, complicated, alphanumeric WiFi network key was a hellish ordeal without a hardware QWERTY keyboard. Luckily, you only have to do that once :lol: .
Apr 19, 2007
801 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered the Kindle (Wifi only) yesterday afternoon and received it about an hour ago with a total cost of ~$176 with priority shipping.
Oh god. I am in love with the screen.

fapfapfapfapfapfapfap

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)