• Jul 5th, 2011 9:41 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 5, 2011
186 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

TN LED panel vs. IPS LCD panel?

So which is better overall, a TN LCD panel with LED backlight or an IPS LCD panel?

I need a monitor for games and movies, but mostly for gaming.

I've read that IPS has better contrast, colour reproduction, viewing angle etc.

What about ghosting? And does LED backlight for the TN LCD panel make a big difference?
20 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Unless the LED is local-dimming (as opposed to edge-lit), it's a waste of money, IMHO. IPS has far superior picture quality as compared to TN, and I don't think ghosting is an issue any more, but read the reviews for the monitor you're considering before buying.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1908 posts
491 upvotes
IPS for sure. People have to realize that not all LED is created equally. Like JAC has said the typical LED screens are using cheap edge lit white LED, it's not gonna give you anywhere near the same quality of those high end LED screens that get reviewed that uses full array RGB LED. Big difference in quality and in price.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
JAC wrote: Unless the LED is local-dimming (as opposed to edge-lit), it's a waste of money, IMHO. IPS has far superior picture quality as compared to TN, and I don't think ghosting is an issue any more, but read the reviews for the monitor you're considering before buying.

Yeah and not all local-dimming LED backlit LCD screens are created equal too... Some have blooming issues because the array of local dimming LEDs are not each individual LED.

Look at it this way:
You get what you pay for.
Mar 5, 2011
186 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I am thinking of the Dell UltraSharp U2311H because it is on sale for $250 and it has Displayport and DVI-D so I can connect my PC and PS3 at the same time. Plus, the 24 inch U2410 model is double the price of the U2311H in the US, Cdn prices being even higher.

8ms response time won't have any effect on 60fps gaming, right?
Sep 26, 2008
820 posts
691 upvotes
Ghosting is still an issue with most IPS monitors. Some have the option to disable the processing to reduce ghosting and input lag, but at the cost of the picture and colour quality, which is the whole point of getting IPS to begin with.

Depending on the games you play, you'll be happy with any IPS monitor or require a 120hz TN.
May 27, 2007
16088 posts
4769 upvotes
Toronto
Cyberism wrote: I am thinking of the Dell UltraSharp U2311H because it is on sale for $250 and it has Displayport and DVI-D so I can connect my PC and PS3 at the same time. Plus, the 24 inch U2410 model is double the price of the U2311H in the US, Cdn prices being even higher.

8ms response time won't have any effect on 60fps gaming, right?

$249 is too much for the U2311.
it goes on sale very often at $239 or lower... so unless you really need it, then i would suggest waiting 1-2 weeks.

im using one now and its awesome compared to my crappy laptop screen.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
AcidBomber wrote: $249 is too much for the U2311.
it goes on sale very often at $239 or lower... so unless you really need it, then i would suggest waiting 1-2 weeks.

im using one now and its awesome compared to my crappy laptop screen.

A 23" monitor is WAY too small. I don't get why we have all these new physically smaller monitors with larger and larger resolutions...

That will just get people squinting more. The monitor needs to be PHYSICALLY larger!
Machine: AMD 7950X3D | Asus X670E-E | 64GB Corsair DDR5-6000 | 4 + 2TB WD SN850X NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 16 + 14TB WD Gold | Corsair 7000D | Corsair RM850x | Asus RTX 4070 Super | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win11 Pro 64-bit
Mar 5, 2011
186 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
What are you talking about? How is a 23" too small? I currently have a 28" TN panel and it is too big for viewing distance on my desk.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9283 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Cyberism wrote: What are you talking about? How is a 23" too small? I currently have a 28" TN panel and it is too big for viewing distance on my desk.

Having a 55" TV on your desk would be too big. There is no such thing as a consumer LCD monitor being too big.
Machine: AMD 7950X3D | Asus X670E-E | 64GB Corsair DDR5-6000 | 4 + 2TB WD SN850X NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 16 + 14TB WD Gold | Corsair 7000D | Corsair RM850x | Asus RTX 4070 Super | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win11 Pro 64-bit
Oct 13, 2003
240 posts
11 upvotes
Oversized Rooster wrote: Having a 55" TV on your desk would be too big. There is no such thing as a consumer LCD monitor being too big.

If the monitor is already at the back of the desk and you have to move your head to see parts of the screen then it's too big.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2921 posts
78 upvotes
With the need for composite ports, I guess U2311 is very good for it's price (when on sale). I'm also contemplating upgrading to IPS, but I can't stand IPS being so thick and big. It's chunkier than my current Samsung T220 TN panel.

With that said, do consider the new LED IPS panels. LG Just annoucned the E70 series for their new line of LED IPS monitor made for gaming. I'm just not sure what type of IPS panel they're going to use but I would assume e-IPS. The next thing to think about is price which no one knows at this point.

On the other hand as mentioned on another thread, there is the LG IPS236V which is already available on the market. The price is higher ~$285 - 300 and the panel is very close to that of Dell's U2311.

Based on reviews I've seen on youtube, the LG panel seems to have better viewing angles shown o camera (although theoretically they should have the same set of panels).

I can see that the LG montior also has deeper blacks and nice vibrant colour all with a thinner body.

The only issue that you may need to think about when considering the LG IPS236V is the fact that it doesn't swivel, pivot, rise up and down or rotate. The stand is pretty much fixed, potential warranty issues and the fact that it doesn't have displayport.

The IPS market is a little rocky at the moment and I would probably step back until the new LED IPS becomes stabilized with newer port support before making my purchase. I can save my money and live on my "high end" TN panel for a little longer.
My Feedbacks: My Heatware Ebay
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
I hope you understand that the U23H11 is 8ms response time NOT recommended for gaming. IPS panels are more or less uses strictly for photo editing and the like.

So ghosting may be an issues on an 8ms where as on a 2ms screen, you will see less ghosting.

Im not sure if they make 2ms IPS monitors, if they do, they must be really expensive.
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
I have an IPS and newer TN panels.

I have seen no real ghosting issues with FPS games.
IPS has great viewing angles even from below.
TN suffers a lot from that.

The colours are more true to the prints with an IPS.
I was surprised when I printed a TN panel photo and how different it was in print.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2921 posts
78 upvotes
@AKRAZ: Reviews show that there is very slight noticeable ghosting on the U2311, but nothing to worry too much about.

@CanadianKorean: Colour accuracy of your print is also determined by the type of printer you use and how many individual pigments of colour your printer contains to produce the most accurate colour. I do agree that TN Panels are far off when it comes to colour accuracy and viewing angles.

@ OP: If you are worried about gaming speeds I recommend the LG monitor as it's got an acceleration engine that can produce 6ms G2G speeds @ 14ms original.
My Feedbacks: My Heatware Ebay
Mar 5, 2011
186 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
What a coincedence. I was also looking at news of the LG E2770V yesterday. Maybe I should wait until December or January for a good deal on these IPS LED's from LG.
Aug 26, 2004
883 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
What are the recommended 23" IPS monitors and how do they compare to each other?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
sorry to bump this thread
I'm interested to pick up a IPS monitor but I'm by no means in a hurry (I can even wait until the end of this year)

the usage is primarily gaming, work/school word processing and surfing the web

I plan to upgrade my computer in a few months and I currently have a run-of-the-mill TN Viewsonic LCD 22"

I originally looked at 24" IPS with 16:10 ratios but they all seem to be out of my budget ($400+)

Obviously I came across the U2311H..apparently it goes on sale very often at around $220-240

I looked at my current TN panel and compared the specs are very similar to the Dell Ultrasharp...but every review says the colour accuracy blows any TN out of the water so I trust that.

So the three IPS monitors I'm looking at are

1. Asus ML239H
2. LG E2370V
3. Dell U2311H

The Asus is very new so reviews are limited. Pro's: 5ms,best price (barely over $200) and is basically using the Dell panel but revised. Con's: ugly bezel, POS stand

LG's stand apparently isn't as good as the Dell's...no Displayport ..and mixed reviews on ghosting even though it's 6ms and has gaming mode (very new monitor as well, limited reviews)

Dell seems to be great all around, but my biggest fear is the 8ms response time and ghosting in gaming. Some claims there's a little bit of ghosting which is why I'm still a little on the fence. Those that game on your Dell, do you notice any sort of ghosting at all?

I think the good thing about the Dell is that it's older and may be even cheaper in the next year or so...so people can pick up a 2nd set for multi-display setup/eyefinity. For multidisplay you must use displayport though, right? Which brings me to another quesiton, Does Nvidia have eyefinity's equivalent of native multidisplay support?
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
twitchyzero wrote: Dell seems to be great all around, but my biggest fear is the 8ms response time and ghosting in gaming. Some claims there's a little bit of ghosting which is why I'm still a little on the fence. Those that game on your Dell, do you notice any sort of ghosting at all?

I have a U2311h and i can tell you i barely notice ghosting. and i play a lot of different games.
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
I have two U2311Hs and when I play StarCraft 2, I don't notice anything different than my 2ms TN panel.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)