Computers & Electronics

Safe way to buy used computer parts on forums?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2011 9:33 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 16, 2011
379 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Safe way to buy used computer parts on forums?

ok, ive been building my computer and for some of the parts, gpu, power supply, ram, i will be buying online, craigstlist, kijiji, rfd.
What is the best way to buy incase they may be defected? Should i always test the gpu, psu, ram out on a computer to make sure its working before buying? im not much of a tech guy so i wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it unless u guys can tell me

thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2175 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Well, any good, reputable seller will include pics, defects (if there's any) and screen shot (CPU/GPUz, SSD/HD benchmark, Memtest, Prime95, etc), etc. If they dont, and the buyer asked - i usually have no problem complying if its reasonable.

However, not everyone is like that - so, if you can see the parts in working order (still in the computer) then its a much better way to see if its working or not.

I havent bought any PS, since i have no proper way to see if its working (unless its installed in the computer).

Just use common sense when buying stuff. On any stuff. Insist to see the items working first. Anything beyond that, its pure luck whether the seller is honest or not.
Apr 16, 2011
379 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Ironsmack wrote: Well, any good, reputable seller will include pics, defects (if there's any) and screen shot (CPU/GPUz, SSD/HD benchmark, Memtest, Prime95, etc), etc. If they dont, and the buyer asked - i usually have no problem complying if its reasonable.

However, not everyone is like that - so, if you can see the parts in working order (still in the computer) then its a much better way to see if its working or not.

I havent bought any PS, since i have no proper way to see if its working (unless its installed in the computer).

Just use common sense when buying stuff. On any stuff. Insist to see the items working first. Anything beyond that, its pure luck whether the seller is honest or not.

ah thanks, i see, only way to know for sure is to test it on a computer. pictures wont help much. I was afraid it may depend on luck...What if we were to go to a local computer store? will they be techy enough to give a straight answer?

i would like to hear other people's experience, good or bad, from buying on forums
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
Are you an experienced computer builder and troubleshooter? These two skills are really important when buying used parts.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Stay the heck away from anyone who claims any overclocking of components.

Don't pay too much -- its *used* stuff after all.

Ask to see the piece of hardware running.

Or just realize there's risk inherent in doing anything.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Apr 16, 2011
379 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
i dont like to buy really used items, i prefer to buy a few months old, with the original box and accessories, which they all do have for the parts im buying.
Im not tech savvy so im not experienced much. Guess ill have to see it running on a computer myself before buying or maybe ask a computer store?

PS: GTX 460 or GTX 465?? (no price difference)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
terren99 wrote: i dont like to buy really used items, i prefer to buy a few months old, with the original box and accessories, which they all do have for the parts im buying.
Im not tech savvy so im not experienced much. Guess ill have to see it running on a computer myself before buying or maybe ask a computer store?

PS: GTX 460 or GTX 465?? (no price difference)

Hmm, since you're buying different parts from different places, troubleshooting skills are essential if you run into a problem, even after seeing the parts in a working pc. You may run into compatibility issues as well.
Aug 28, 2007
727 posts
619 upvotes
Thorold
Buy brand new....

Kidding, just to add onto the advice, ask for original receipts from purchase and don't buy anything outside the warranty period. At least if something is fried, you'd have some chance to getting it replaced.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
terren99 wrote: ok, ive been building my computer and for some of the parts, gpu, power supply, ram, i will be buying online, craigstlist, kijiji, rfd.
What is the best way to buy incase they may be defected? Should i always test the gpu, psu, ram out on a computer to make sure its working before buying? im not much of a tech guy so i wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it unless u guys can tell me

thanks

You can ask for them to test it in front of you when you come to pick it up. This is what I do with the stuff I sell, eliminates scammers as well. Although some sellers might not like to invite strangers into their home to demonstrate the product. Also you can look for BNIB (brand new in box) items, although that doesn't really guarantee 100% because some sellers here have refurbished or RMA'd parts and never disclose it to the buyer and also there are chances of DOA items and you'll be S.O.L. since warranty isn't covered.
Jul 28, 2009
114 posts
2 upvotes
crowTrobot wrote: Although some sellers might not like to invite strangers into their home to demonstrate the product.

Then how is the buyer supposed to validate the item if they can't see the item they wish to purchase from the seller? Is the buyer supposed to take the sellers word that the items he is selling are in working order...? :facepalm:
Mechanical Keyboards: "The Hype Is Real!"
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Ask the seller their age before any negotiation. It seems BST is filled with little kids. The last two sales, which I though were final but were never completed since the seller had a change of mind on the agreed price. They stop replying to your pm's and then play stupid.
I have only attempted to make three transactions, but only one was a success. Frankly I am not going to attempt any further dealings on BST as it's a joke. Kijiji is a better place as far as I am concerned.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
trancewhiiz wrote: Then how is the buyer supposed to validate the item if they can't see the item they wish to purchase from the seller? Is the buyer supposed to take the sellers word that the items he is selling are in working order...? :facepalm:

Depending on the item, cost, and the seller, I would take the seller's word for it. I have been buying and selling on RFD for many years and the number of times that I received a defective product has been 5 or 6. Each time there was a problem, I worked with the seller to quickly resolve the issue.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
eldiablo wrote: Ask the seller their age before any negotiation. It seems BST is filled with little kids. The last two sales, which I though were final but were never completed since the seller had a change of mind on the agreed price. They stop replying to your pm's and then play stupid.
I have only attempted to make three transactions, but only one was a success. Frankly I am not going to attempt any further dealings on BST as it's a joke. Kijiji is a better place as far as I am concerned.

That seems like a narrow attitude.

There are some of us veterans that honour our agreements.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: That seems like a narrow attitude.

There are some of us veterans that honour our agreements.

+1. I think I have a pretty good rep on RFD and I always try to maintain a good relationship with everyone I deal with in a transaction.