Computers & Electronics

If they get the mjority they want... Private Browsing is gone in Canada!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2011 1:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes

If they get the mjority they want... Private Browsing is gone in Canada!

Privacy is going to be under attack! The ruling Conservative Party has vowed to introduce a bill that would provide unprecedented systematic interception and monitoring of Canadians personal communications.

First mention of bundling "lawfull access" (aka monitoring) and crime bills for passage within 100 days.
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Co ... story.html [vancouversun.com]

Link to Conservative platform containing the promise
http://www.conservative.ca/media/Conser ... 11_ENs.pdf [conservative.ca]
Search for "100 days"

Subsequent comments:
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/blog ... 126/10/10/ [michaelgeist.ca]

"The first prong mandates the disclosure of Internet provider customer information without court oversight. Under current privacy laws, providers may voluntarily disclose customer information but are not required to do so. The new system would require the disclosure of customer name, address, phone number, email address, Internet protocol address, and a series of device identification numbers.

While some of that information may seem relatively harmless, the ability to link it with other data will often open the door to a detailed profile about an identifiable person. Given its potential sensitivity, the decision to require disclosure without any oversight should raise concerns within the Canadian privacy community.

The second prong requires Internet providers to dramatically re-work their networks to allow for real-time surveillance. The bill sets out detailed capability requirements that will eventually apply to all Canadian Internet providers. These include the power to intercept communications, to isolate the communications to a particular individual, and to engage in multiple simultaneous interceptions."

PRESS RELEASE: Pirate Party to provide secure browsing services to protect Canadians from potential Conservative majority”
https://www.pirateparty.ca/uncategorize ... e-browsing.
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Your title sucks. Nobody knows what mjority means, or what that refers to, or what Privite Browsing means. Pls fix that.

Having said that, it is a troubling issue, one that might call for making this a minority government.
Jul 28, 2009
114 posts
2 upvotes
rageking wrote: Your title sucks. Nobody knows what mjority means, or what that refers to, or what Privite Browsing means. Pls fix that.

Having said that, it is a troubling issue, one that might call for making this a minority government.

Living up to your screen name. Easy fella, the guy probably just made a typo. God forbid that you've ever misspelled a word before. :facepalm:
Mechanical Keyboards: "The Hype Is Real!"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
trancewhiiz wrote: Living up to your screen name. Easy fella, the guy probably just made a typo. God forbid that you've ever misspelled a word before. :facepalm:

Forget the typo. What does majority refer to? What does private browsing mean? The title isnt helpful at all.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
I guess it takes an hawk eye to see the point you want to make. I wasn't able to find anything from what you said in the Vancouver Sun article and the search for 100 days in conservative platform returned nothing.
I don't have the time to continue searching so, if you have, please provide more precise links or details for the source of the problem
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
rageking wrote: Your title sucks. Nobody knows what mjority means, or what that refers to, or what Privite Browsing means. Pls fix that.

You must be in the mnority of those that can not read without all the letters...

http://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/l ... n-you-read

:razz:
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4603 posts
257 upvotes
Burnaby
rageking wrote: Forget the typo. What does majority refer to? What does private browsing mean? The title isnt helpful at all.

I knew exactly what majority referred to the moment I read the title. You do know it's election time right?

His title pretty much summed up exactly what he posted.

EDIT: I didn't even realize he mistyped "majority" until I looked back a second time and yet I still understood what he was posting, so you're definately in the MINORITY.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
gheart008 wrote: I knew exactly what majority referred to the moment I read the title. You do know it's election time right?

EDIT: I didn't even realize he mistyped "majority" until I looked back a second time and yet I still understood what he was posting, so you're definately in the MINORITY.

exactly the same thing that happened to me, completely missed the typo until rageking pointed it out.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: exactly the same thing that happened to me, completely missed the typo until rageking pointed it out.

You can cnt me in tht boat too. :razz:
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12011 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
gheart008 wrote: I knew exactly what majority referred to the moment I read the title. You do know it's election time right?

Exact same thing for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
Huh? You guys shd read the posts again. Rageking wasn't talking about the typo and he clearely stated that. It was about the meaning of the post, which I don't understand either. Instead of talking about that insignifiant detail why don't you and the OP post some more info about what is this about , eh?
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
arm2000 wrote: Huh? You guys shd read the posts again. Rageking wasn't talking about the typo and he clearely stated that. It was about the meaning of the post, which I don't understand either. Instead of talking about that insignifiant detail why don't you and the OP post some more info about what is this about , eh?

I guess if you have been living under a rock you might not know...

mjority and Copyright Modernization Act
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
Time to take the tinfoil hats off people and actually read what they want to do. The government is not out to get you. Please read the link and then do some googling yourself on this issue. You also nee dto realize that its hardly just the PCs that would do this... use your heads people.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Ahh, Michael Geist.. the man who says that streaming video leads to reduced traffic over internet backbones. I don't really believe much that he has to say anymore.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
TBH I'd rather the government have access to my browsing data then Bell or Rogers. It's not like they don't know everything else I do...so maybe if they bring in competition and take over last mile I can finally not have one of the 2 enemies looking over my shoulder. I'm willing to sacrifice.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
Ah, the intellect of this place. :) So, anything that sounds remotely bad, it must be time for the 'tinfoil hat' label. OP, no time to read up much on that but I will. Those issues are interesting and insightful.

As for the 'Government is not out to get you....' Yeah, the Government has NEVER done anything of harm to anyone or anything deceitful. Nah. As for controlling the internet or people's access of it. Of course not. The Government would NEVER EVER impose itself on people's freedoms. Never. :-0
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
arm2000 wrote: I may be living under a rock but you have reading problems. What have to do the links you posted with what I said?

Seriously? Do I really need to break it down?

Mjority is reference to a Majority government from the upcoming election. In case you didn't know Canada has a parliamentary government.
The conservatives have been trying to push through more DMCA like laws into the Canadian Copyright act and make it easier for the CRIA to get information from ISP about Canadians.

Which is the meaning of the post, to bring awareness to these issues.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
Ojam wrote: Seriously? Do I really need to break it down?

Mjority is reference to a Majority government from the upcoming election. In case you didn't know Canada has a parliamentary government.
The conservatives have been trying to push through more DMCA like laws into the Canadian Copyright act and make it easier for the CRIA to get information from ISP about Canadians.

Which is the meaning of the post, to bring awareness to these issues.

As I said: you have serious reading problems. My post was about ppl like you derrailing the discussion due to technical issues (such as misspelling) and posting genaral and vague info instead of focusing on the core of the problem.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
arm2000 wrote: As I said: you have serious reading problems. My post was about ppl like you derrailing the discussion due to technical issues (such as misspelling) and posting genaral and vague info instead of focusing on the core of the problem.
arm2000 wrote: Huh? You guys shd read the posts again. Rageking wasn't talking about the typo and he clearely stated that. It was about the meaning of the post, which I don't understand either. Instead of talking about that insignifiant detail why don't you and the OP post some more info about what is this about , eh?
Short memory?

You asked for more info, it was provided.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)