• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2011 2:05 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
35 upvotes

filing taxes after april 30th

Just a quick question, I filed my 2010 taxes already last month but I was planning on filing taxes i missed in previous years (2005, 2006). If I do not send them out by Apr 30th do I have to wait for next year during tax time again or can I pretty must send them out anytime throughout the year?

thanks
13 replies
Jan 16, 2010
566 posts
123 upvotes
You can file for previous years at any point during the year. However, if you had any income in any of those years, you can be subject to fines. In addition, in tax payable is subject to compound interest from the date the that you should have filed.
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
35 upvotes
thanks guys, yeah those 2 years i missed i only had tuition to claim (t2202a) and no income so I should be ok....

quick question for my brother, he just mailed out his 2010 taxes today and it might not reach the cra office by Apr 30th, he will not be owing and is expecting a return of about $800....any penalties or consequences if cra receives his return after Apr 30th?
Jan 16, 2010
566 posts
123 upvotes
enter wrote: thanks guys, yeah those 2 years i missed i only had tuition to claim (t2202a) and no income so I should be ok....

quick question for my brother, he just mailed out his 2010 taxes today and it might not reach the cra office by Apr 30th, he will not be owing and is expecting a return of about $800....any penalties or consequences if cra receives his return after Apr 30th?
They use the date it was mailed by; he will be fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
rasadam wrote: They use the date it was mailed by; he will be fine.

And even if he didn't make the filling deadline he'd still be fine since he is owed money.
Dec 1, 2010
239 posts
22 upvotes
S5 wrote: And even if he didn't make the filling deadline he'd still be fine since he is owed money.

Yes, April 30 is only the deadline if you owe money. (Right?)
Nov 8, 2010
963 posts
214 upvotes
lewin00 wrote: Yes, April 30 is only the deadline if you owe money. (Right?)
Mostly correct.

You only have to file taxes if you owe money or if CRA asks you to. So if you are positive you don't owe money and CRA hasn't asked you to do anything, then you have no legal requirement to file taxes.

But it would be stupid not to do it eventually.

If you do owe, yes April 30 is the deadline to avoid penalties and interest.
Mar 14, 2006
655 posts
28 upvotes
lewin00 wrote: Yes, April 30 is only the deadline if you owe money. (Right?)

If the government owes you money they would rather you not file at all. So no due date for you in that case.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2010
1090 posts
354 upvotes
enter wrote: Just a quick question, I filed my 2010 taxes already last month but I was planning on filing taxes i missed in previous years (2005, 2006). If I do not send them out by Apr 30th do I have to wait for next year during tax time again or can I pretty must send them out anytime throughout the year?

thanks

"Tax time" for those years were in 2006 and 2007 respectively. You're past the deadline for those, and past the deadlines to Netfile those (must mail) but you can file any time. If you owe them money there will be penalties for late filing, if they owe you, there won't be penalties.

Mailed in returns go based on the date of the postmark.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3208 posts
1526 upvotes
FlyingOctopus wrote: Mostly correct.

You only have to file taxes if you owe money or if CRA asks you to. So if you are positive you don't owe money and CRA hasn't asked you to do anything, then you have no legal requirement to file taxes.
But it would be stupid not to do it eventually.

If you do owe, yes April 30 is the deadline to avoid penalties and interest.

Virtually almost completely correct!

There are about a half dozen additional reasons that make it mandatory to file taxes, but the two most common and important ones are that you have owe taxes, or if the CRA requests you do so. The other reasons include having split pension income with a spouse, receiving WITB advance payments and wanting them next year, disposing of capital property or realizing a taxable capital gain, and if you have to contribute to the CPP for self employed earnings (and a couple of other reasons, all found under BEFORE YOU START on page 5 in the guide, or thereabouts).
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
35 upvotes
cheapskatescooner wrote: "Tax time" for those years were in 2006 and 2007 respectively. You're past the deadline for those, and past the deadlines to Netfile those (must mail) but you can file any time. If you owe them money there will be penalties for late filing, if they owe you, there won't be penalties.

Mailed in returns go based on the date of the postmark.

thanks guys, another quick question, after I file my 2006 2007 taxes, Will I have to amend 2008 2009 and 2010 taxes? or will my tuition credits from 2006 and 07 just be used towards my 2011 tax return
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
enter wrote: thanks guys, another quick question, after I file my 2006 2007 taxes, Will I have to amend 2008 2009 and 2010 taxes? or will my tuition credits from 2006 and 07 just be used towards my 2011 tax return

I cannot answer your question itself - but I can tell you that your tuition credits MUST be claimed as soon as possible, you can't carry them forward for 5 years if you have the ability to claim them.

Call the CRA and ask them. They must have increased their phone support because when I called this year (in April) I only waited a couple minutes for a live person.