• May 1st, 2011 4:20 am
Tags:
None
Mar 5, 2011
186 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

HDD/SSD question

Can I install my OS on the HDD, and then only install software I want to load quickly (such as games) onto the SSD? Please be kind if this seems too obvious :(
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
You would want to install the OS on the SSD, and anything you want to open quickly on the SSD (programs/games).

The HDD would be for file storage (movies/music/documents).
Dec 12, 2009
636 posts
74 upvotes
That's an interesting question. The answer to that would be, it depends if the games and programs you need to load fast requires any loading from the operating system residing in your HDD. I feel like the HDD can still easily bottle neck the loading time. When you first boot up, not every bit of information of the OS is loaded into the ram from your HDD. So when the game or program calls for O.S. related things it will still have to be loaded from HDD most likely, so i'd say there is a bottle neck.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
The vast majority of users install the OS on the SSD (also frequentlt used apps if they fit) and secondary apps on the HD.
Mar 16, 2011
32 posts
4 upvotes
Canada
What you probably want to do is this:

OS goes on the SSD.

Then, fill the SSD up (but keep a bit of a cushion) with the games/apps you use most.

Hard drive gets filled with the rest.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Ideally, you would buy a SSD large enough to store your OS and programs. A HDD in the same system would be used for storage of larger media files such as video, photo collections, etc.

The new Intel technology coming out in the Z68 chipset, which allows the synergistic use of a HDD and SSD, might end up changing the overall approach.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)