Shopping Discussion

Locked: For the love of God please lock this thread!

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2011 7:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo

For the love of God please lock this thread!

Let my credit card at a large Canadian retail store over the weekend, couldn't find the card and started thinking back where I used it last. Called that store and they had it. I'm I unreasonable to think they should have called me and let me know I left the card with them???
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
53 replies
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
66 upvotes
With what phone number?
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Blvck_Scvle wrote: With what phone number?

My name is on the card.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
hagbard wrote: My name is on the card.

A name is not a number.
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
66 upvotes
Unless your name is composed of an area code as well as 7 additional digits, I don't see how that would be of any help.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes

your point?
Dec 16, 2004
860 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto

So they call the first person in the phone book with the same name as you??

My wife did have a hair salon call once when she left her card there but they knew her "personally" as she always goes to the same one and they had her phone # on file.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
I have to agree with the above posters.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
159 upvotes
is this a troll post? :facepalm:

did u call ur cc to cancel it or put it on hold?
images are not permitted in sigs
Dec 3, 2004
865 posts
2649 upvotes
If you want to complain, then complain to your CC company. They should have a system in place for retailers to report lost cards directly to them, for instance, you phone a number and option is "If you're a retailer and a client has left their credit card at your store, press 4". The retailer then enters the number, and then can leave a message stating where the credit card is. You get home, realize your card is gone, call your CC company, enter your info, and before connecting you to the lost/stolen department, it says "You have one new lost card notification". You can listen to the message, and go and claim your card.

For those of you who work at visa/mc/amex, take my idea to the top, and get yourself a promotion. It would save them tens of thousands of dollars alone in automating the process of lost/stolen cards.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
They don't put out phone books anymore or no one knows how to use Canada411? I have a pretty unique name, I'm not John Smith. I have left credit cards behind before, always got a call shortly after. Same with my wife. Not this time and given the stores rep, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
66 upvotes
hagbard wrote: They don't put out phone books anymore or no one knows how to use Canada411? I have a pretty unique name, I'm not John Smith. I have left credit cards behind before, always got a call shortly after. Same with my wife. Not this time and given the stores rep, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.
Don't be a moron.

If you found out that this unnamed store noticed you left a credit card behind and ended up handing it off to a complete stranger because they notified the very first person in the phone book that they found with your name, you'd be on RFD asking questions about what the best way to go about suing them is.

Stores are there to offer you their products. They're not there to offer insurance against forgetfulness and stupidity, which is what you seem to be asking for. It's not their job to keep track of your stuff. If you've received that service from a store before, consider yourself lucky that someone stuck their neck on the line by going above and beyond to provide you a service that could have just as easily resulted in thousands of dollars in unwarranted charges on your credit card.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
hagbard wrote: They don't put out phone books anymore or no one knows how to use Canada411? I have a pretty unique name, I'm not John Smith. I have left credit cards behind before, always got a call shortly after. Same with my wife. Not this time and given the stores rep, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

1. it takes an effort to find out your number. Even if they find a name that matches you, it does not mean that must be the right person. Many people does not have their name in the phone book regardless (such as you are not the one who ordered the phone line).
2. it takes an effort to call you because you may or may not at home.
3. they have better thing to do such as whatever the manager makes them to do.
4. you will come back one way or the other.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Jul 12, 2008
35 posts
2 upvotes
lol
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
Are you kidding me? You forgot your card, and you expect them to call you?

Suppose your name is John Smith. They call the first John Smith they find in the phonebook, and wammo..........some John Smith now has your card. Let the shopping spree begin!

Here's something you should consider...........pay cash.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
This happened to me at a wendy's before with my debit card (wasn't thinking) and when I went back this girl apparently forgot to give back 8 people's debit cards and 3 credit cards (how everyone including me forgot the cards is beyond me) but they just gave me mine back no problem.

Did they call me? no.

If I got a phone call saying "Hey I found your credit card come get it" would I take it possibly knowing its not mine? no, unless it was my actual cc # on the card, this is why they dont call because they can't be 100% who you are and don't want to get sued.
Aug 26, 2010
503 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
I've been paged at the Bay after stepping away from the cashier after a purchase. But they paged over the store-system for me to go to the service desk (which was the same cashier area). I wouldn't have expected them to call me since my name does not lead to any phone number that could reach me.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
also, another thing your card does not tell them is where you live.... i mean city/town (not full address) so for all they know you could be from kitchener visiting the GTA and forgot your card. so it would be pointless for them to grab a phone book or hop on canada 411. your last name might be a rare one but it might be one that is the same as one in another region.

they did the right thing to hold onto it... it's YOUR responsibility to remember where you let it and go get it. last time i checked no stores offer concierge service.

this is yet another posting that makes no sense. i think the real reason you posted this is because you most likely spent a fair amount of money at the store, got home and realized your forgot your card... now pissed off because it's costing you gas and time to go get it. you have nobody to blame but yourself....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
hagbard wrote: ........ unreasonable to think they should have called me and let me know I left the card with them???
Yes.
Your Mommy doesn't walk you to school anymore does she? At some point in time you have to grow up, start taking on responsibility and stop expecting other people to look after you.
Dec 28, 2007
791 posts
593 upvotes
Alberta
Most people don't list their full name in the phone book. I don't.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)