Computers & Electronics

Distributel Cable in Cambridge? Techsavvy in Cambridge? What speeds are you getting?

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2011 10:52 am
Apr 27, 2006
67 posts
2 upvotes

Distributel Cable in Cambridge? Techsavvy in Cambridge? What speeds are you getting?

Hi guys,

I've been trying to find someone who has signed up for Distributel cable in the Cambridge (Galt) area, to get an idea of the speeds you've been getting.
I signed up in Dec, and got some horrible speeds, so I switched back to DSL (which is bad, but tolerable...)

I'm told that the Distributel network congestion issues have been resolved, but would like to see some speedtests from any active Distributel cable users.

Anyone out there?

My other option is to switch to Techsavvy, since they have recently rolled out cable internet in Cambridge. Any speedtests for Techsavvy cable?

Thanks!

Usagi
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1467 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
I'd suggest you go with Teksavvy. Distributel (3web/Acanac) all share the same network and are notorious for having congestion issues on their cable network (as you experienced). Teksavvy has promised to stop signups if a POI nears capacity and is still pending an upgrade by Rogers. :)
Feb 10, 2008
500 posts
181 upvotes
Ottawa
Promises, Promises

I was an Acanac/3WEB Cable customer and had terrible congestion issues in Ottawa, they gave me a full refund after 2 months and I switched to Teksavvy who assured me there were no issues in my area with thier service due to them limiting the sign ups. Well they lied, not even 2 days after activation again I am experiencing lag and slow speed in peak hours and when I go tot he website magically now my postal code is no longer "serviced" even though I have invoice from a week ago and was activated less then 3 days.

So whatever they tell you isn't always the truth, they don't seem to really know what's going on and now I jumped from 1 sinking ship to another... awesome. All I can do is wait it out and hoep the upgrades come sooner than later as I'm out of options at this point.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1467 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
Stryk3r wrote: Promises, Promises

I was an Acanac/3WEB Cable customer and had terrible congestion issues in Ottawa, they gave me a full refund after 2 months and I switched to Teksavvy who assured me there were no issues in my area with thier service due to them limiting the sign ups. Well they lied, not even 2 days after activation again I am experiencing lag and slow speed in peak hours and when I go tot he website magically now my postal code is no longer "serviced" even though I have invoice from a week ago and was activated less then 3 days.

So whatever they tell you isn't always the truth, they don't seem to really know what's going on and now I jumped from 1 sinking ship to another... awesome. All I can do is wait it out and hoep the upgrades come sooner than later as I'm out of options at this point.

Could also be local node congestion. Are you using a docsis 3 modem? They stopped signups for one of the Ottawa POIs because its nearing capacity and is still pending an upgrade by Rogers.
Feb 10, 2008
500 posts
181 upvotes
Ottawa
chaos1105 wrote: Could also be local node congestion. Are you using a docsis 3 modem? They stopped signups for one of the Ottawa POIs because its nearing capacity and is still pending an upgrade by Rogers.

Yup it's node congestion, I'm on the St Laurent POI and it's in dire need of an upgrade. I'm using a 5101N modem it's not docsis 3 but it wouldn't make any difference as this modem is good enough for up to 30mbit and I'm only supposed to get 15mbit. They should not even have signed me up since according to them they were already saturated, but somehow TWICE now I've slipped through the cracks and been signed up anyways. Seems very odd since I see lots of people complaining they can't get signed up at all, yet I had no problems signing up and now I have to deal with slow connections in peak hours until this is all settled.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1467 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
Stryk3r wrote: Yup it's node congestion, I'm on the St Laurent POI and it's in dire need of an upgrade. I'm using a 5101N modem it's not docsis 3 but it wouldn't make any difference as this modem is good enough for up to 30mbit and I'm only supposed to get 15mbit. They should not even have signed me up since according to them they were already saturated, but somehow TWICE now I've slipped through the cracks and been signed up anyways. Seems very odd since I see lots of people complaining they can't get signed up at all, yet I had no problems signing up and now I have to deal with slow connections in peak hours until this is all settled.

There's a difference between local node congestion and congestion at the POI level. Local node congestion is the "hub" that serves your local area, in most cases a few blocks. A docsis 3 modem uses channel bonding and creates multiple paths, if you will, to the CMTS. So what I'm saying is it could be a localized issue as I dont see too many people on the dslr forums complaining.
Apr 27, 2006
67 posts
2 upvotes
chaos1105 wrote: I'd suggest you go with Teksavvy. Distributel (3web/Acanac) all share the same network and are notorious for having congestion issues on their cable network (as you experienced). Teksavvy has promised to stop signups if a POI nears capacity and is still pending an upgrade by Rogers. :)

I'm just a little gun-shy to switch without having any feedback/speed reports from current users. It is such a hassle to switch, get set up, and then find that you aren't any better off. :cry:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)