• May 15th, 2011 9:44 am
Tags:
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes

2011 Census

Anyone done it?

The short form is only 6 questions; however, I accidentally clicked to complete the long form. I have no idea how many questions there is, but I am only 15% through and it is making me puke.
When I wanted to start over so I can pick not to complete the long form, it won't let me choose anymore, it just pushes me directly to the long form.

Ahh, going to call in on Monday to get it fixed so I can complete just the short one.
47 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
I did mine in about 2 minutes. Don't remember seeing a choice for long or short.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3922 posts
305 upvotes
1226 wrote: I did mine in about 2 minutes. Don't remember seeing a choice for long or short.

Yeah, I don't recall a choice either.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
No choice for me either.

I wouldn't be ticked off if I had to do the long form though. I'm an avid genealogist, so I understand how useful and how interesting the gathered information can be to future generations.
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
1226 wrote: I did mine in about 2 minutes. Don't remember seeing a choice for long or short.

You start out with short, then at the end they ask you if you want to be part of the historical statistics. If you click no, then you are done, but I clicked yes, so on with tons of questions.

I seriously almost puked, those questions are so personal and ignoring, I don't even know the answers to those questions. They asked the same questions again and again. Oh, and we have 8 people in the household,

I wish my relatives would just move out.
We can't charge them rent that is accordance with market rate. And they have access to all the foods we buy. One of them even ate all the good foods (usually expensive) and left the bad ones (not as tasty) alone. Each one of them owns 2 computers (1 desktop, 1 laptop), and a TV. Rogers is charging us over usage fee of $50 every month, and extra for terminals because they all wanted to watch the multicultural channels. That same guy even have his room light, TV and computers on 24/7 even when he is not home. I asked him why can't you turn off your electronics, he said that he is too lazy to turn them on and off.
His rent can barely cover the expenses inured, and he gets the bed room with his personal washroom where others don't.

I wish they would all move out. So I am exempted from all the responsibilities like doing their taxes for free.
Helped them apply for EI, passports, citizenship, etc... because I am the only one who knows English well enough to do so. If I kick them out, my dad will ***** at me, because he owns this house lol, but I paid the utility and property tax. More than half of my salary is used to pay for these expenses.

Gas bill $200/month
Water $500 per quarter I believe (don't know how often city of Toronto bill us, but each bill is over $500).
Electricity is like $600 per quarter
Home phone, Cable, Internet, is around $225/month
Grocery $160/week.
Property tax $4,200 a year.

They frequently complain about slow/disconnecting Internet connection. Well, what do they expect if they kept on PPS streaming. And using Thunder download manager.

This is the sole reason why I don't want to invest in a house for rental purpose. Look at all these expenses and things you got to put up with, not to mention R&M.

How do you guys do it? I mean I know you will save a lot of money if you rent to some one you don't know. But utility and property taxes can not be exempted. Do your renters pay for utility and property taxes? I don't know how things work outside of the Chinese community, but within the community, renters pay none of those. They only pay a fixed rent and they worry about nothing else. One good thing about renting to Chinese people is that they usually do not pay rents late. Renting to relatives is just plain wrong.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
You wonder why they cant link it with your annual tax return....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
ACC-Major wrote: You start out with short, then at the end they ask you if you want to be part of the historical statistics. If you click no, then you are done, but I clicked yes, so on with tons of questions.

I seriously almost puked, those questions are so personal and ignoring, I don't even know the answers to those questions. They asked the same questions again and again. Oh, and we have 8 people in the household,

I wish my relatives would just move out.
We can't charge them rent that is accordance with market rate. And they have access to all the foods we buy. One of them even ate all the good foods (usually expensive) and left the bad ones (not as tasty) alone. Each one of them owns 2 computers (1 desktop, 1 laptop), and a TV. Rogers is charging us over usage fee of $50 every month, and extra for terminals because they all wanted to watch the multicultural channels. That same guy even have his room light, TV and computers on 24/7 even when he is not home. I asked him why can't you turn off your electronics, he said that he is too lazy to turn them on and off.
His rent can barely cover the expenses inured, and he gets the bed room with his personal washroom where others don't.

I wish they would all move out. So I am exempted from all the responsibilities like doing their taxes for free.
Helped them apply for EI, passports, citizenship, etc... because I am the only one who knows English well enough to do so. If I kick them out, my dad will ***** at me, because he owns this house lol, but I paid the utility and property tax. More than half of my salary is used to pay for these expenses.

Gas bill $200/month
Water $500 per quarter I believe (don't know how often city of Toronto bill us, but each bill is over $500).
Electricity is like $600 per quarter
Home phone, Cable, Internet, is around $225/month
Grocery $160/week.
Property tax $4,200 a year.

They frequently complain about slow/disconnecting Internet connection. Well, what do they expect if they kept on PPS streaming. And using Thunder download manager.

This is the sole reason why I don't want to invest in a house for rental purpose. Look at all these expenses and things you got to put up with, not to mention R&M.

How do you guys do it? I mean I know you will save a lot of money if you rent to some one you don't know. But utility and property taxes can not be exempted. Do your renters pay for utility and property taxes? I don't know how things work outside of the Chinese community, but within the community, renters pay none of those. They only pay a fixed rent and they worry about nothing else. One good thing about renting to Chinese people is that they usually do not pay rents late. Renting to relatives is just plain wrong.

I'm glad I didn't get the long form...

Also, you know the saying "you can lead a house to water but you can't make it drink"? They can make you do all that stuff for them, but especially since they don't understand it, they can't make you do it right. Especially those immigration forms, it would be such a shame if something got submitted late or had some errors in it...
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2497 posts
138 upvotes
Saskatoon
airmail wrote: You wonder why they cant link it with your annual tax return....

Maybe......

241. (1) Provision of information — Except as authorized by this section, no official shall

(a) knowingly provide, or knowingly allow to be provided, to any person any taxpayer information;

(b) knowingly allow any person to have access to any taxpayer information; or

(c) knowingly use any taxpayer information otherwise than in the course of the administration or enforcement of this Act, the Canada Pension Plan, the Unemployment Insurance Act or the Employment Insurance Act or for the purpose for which it was provided under this section.
Conquistador wrote: One other thing you should know for future reference. If it is on the subject of taxes, listen to ghostryder. He knows his stuff.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2002
2058 posts
38 upvotes
I also clicked Yes to the final and most important question #10, and I got the following final message:
"Your census questionnaire has been submitted. Your confirmation number is:"....

Question #10 is the most important question on the 2011 Census
ACC-Major wrote: You start out with short, then at the end they ask you if you want to be part of the historical statistics. If you click no, then you are done, but I clicked yes, so on with tons of questions.
It had nothing to do with choosing Yes for question 10. You were probably just randomly selected as one of five households to voluntarily complete the long form.
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
eBuddy wrote: I also clicked Yes to the final and most important question #10, and I got the following final message:
"Your census questionnaire has been submitted. Your confirmation number is:"....

Question #10 is the most important question on the 2011 Census

It had nothing to do with choosing Yes for question 10. You were probably just randomly selected as one of five households to voluntarily complete the long form.

So it's "voluntary"? I don't need to do it?
Cool, I will call in and tell them that.

I already got a confirmation number, then I click next, it takes me to the freaking long form starting from question 7.
Jul 18, 2009
679 posts
103 upvotes
I did the long form, and it took me less than 15 minutes. I did not find it invasive, it was just a few extra questions about employment and household expenses. There was a spot to click to link to my 2010 tax return.

Before I got to the long form, there was a spot to click "yes" to participate in the long form. Right after the confirmation number screen from the short form.
Oct 8, 2010
177 posts
34 upvotes
ACC-Major wrote: Anyone done it?

The short form is only 6 questions; however, I accidentally clicked to complete the long form. I have no idea how many questions there is, but I am only 15% through and it is making me puke.
When I wanted to start over so I can pick not to complete the long form, it won't let me choose anymore, it just pushes me directly to the long form.

Ahh, going to call in on Monday to get it fixed so I can complete just the short one.

At the bottom right hand corner of each page is a "CONTINUE" button to enable you to go to the next page to answer more questions. But then there is a "CANCEL" button at the bottom left hand corner. You may want to click the CANCEL to see if it will allow you to change your mind and NOT participate in the National Household Survey.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1025 posts
700 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm, interesting. No offense, but I really don't care about genealogy. I don't even know the names of my great-grandparents. No, none of them. Seriously. And I certainly don't give a damn about anyone else's.

But I do care about my own privacy and I find nothing appealing about some genealogist a century from now digging through my personal records.

I answered "no" to that question.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2304 posts
950 upvotes
Mercury048 wrote: Hmm, interesting. No offense, but I really don't care about genealogy. I don't even know the names of my great-grandparents. No, none of them. Seriously. And I certainly don't give a damn about anyone else's.

But I do care about my own privacy and I find nothing appealing about some genealogist a century from now digging through my personal records.

You can just answer "yes" one time and then there'll be a record of your existence at place X. Then just answer no for the remainder of your life.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
Mercury048 wrote: Hmm, interesting. No offense, but I really don't care about genealogy. I don't even know the names of my great-grandparents. No, none of them. Seriously. And I certainly don't give a damn about anyone else's.

:facepalm: You'll be dead, you know.

I realize you don't care because of some unknown fear that your privacy is being violated while you're rotting in the ground, or chilling in some urn somewhere. But your descendants might care...they're the only people who will be looking at your super secret personal life, you know. Genealogists don't just arbitrarily pick a name and think "hmmm, let's intrude upon this guys privacy today. This is fun! Let's see.....he lived at 123 Main Street. Dang. That was a letdown."

The only people who care about your info 90+ years from now are YOUR descendants.

*sigh* the paranoia of some people simply baffles me sometimes.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

Mine was also about 2 minutes long. There was no long/short choice.
- casual gastronomist -
Mar 1, 2010
447 posts
39 upvotes
airmail wrote: You wonder why they cant link it with your annual tax return....

You can link it to your annual tax return for the income questions. They ask for permission to do so based on your SIN or your Netfile information.

OP was selected for the National Household Survey, the statistically-inferior replacement for the long-form census.
Oct 2, 2005
611 posts
26 upvotes
philosofaux wrote: You can link it to your annual tax return for the income questions. They ask for permission to do so based on your SIN or your Netfile information.

OP was selected for the National Household Survey, the statistically-inferior replacement for the long-form census.

it makes no sense for the government to do census, when they already have our personal information from sin, heathcare, driver lisence, income tax. all they need is to put everything in one location. i think india and china are thinking to have a national database to store every person's information in one place
...making life simple without worry, without headache...
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
jiepie wrote: it makes no sense for the government to do census, when they already have our personal information from sin, heathcare, driver lisence, income tax. all they need is to put everything in one location. i think india and china are thinking to have a national database to store every person's information in one place

The employee working there that have access to these data will be so rich.
Getting credits left and right via identity thief.

I am sure a lot of people will want to work there lol.