Shopping Discussion

Rogers GRFF change? Can I get out of my contract?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2011 12:20 am
Tags:
None
May 21, 2007
71 posts
75 upvotes

Rogers GRFF change? Can I get out of my contract?

I saw on my last bill that the GRFF is being changed by rogers(a decrease) am I allowed to get out of my contract with this change in fees? I have been looking for details and you can supposedly get out of a contract when they change any fees, so I would think I would be able to do so.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
TerryTsang wrote: I saw on my last bill that the GRFF is being changed by rogers(a decrease) am I allowed to get out of my contract with this change in fees? I have been looking for details and you can supposedly get out of a contract when they change any fees, so I would think I would be able to do so.

Ah, no. You can't weasel your way out of a legitimate contract in this case. Even if any change in fees were a valid reason, attempting to void a contract when the change benefited you wouldn't get you very far.
May 21, 2007
71 posts
75 upvotes
according to canadian wireless law, if there is any material change in your contract you have 30 days to accept the change or you are allowed to exit the contract without any early termination fees. I am just trying to find out if this counts as a material change, since if it wasn't they would be allowed to jack up the GRFF and I would not be able to cancel my plan without paying the ETF.
Oct 17, 2009
131 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CWTA Code of Conduct

[QUOTE]
Protect our customers’ rights when we must change contract terms

We do not change the material terms of our contracts with customers, without giving them at least 30 days’ notice. In the case of such material changes that are unfavourable to customers, we either give them the right to terminate the contract without any additional fees for early termination, or allow them to remain on the unchanged contract. This does not apply to changes that are required by law or regulation or changes to those services and features that do not have a fixed term commitment.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt the CCTS will side with you on this one if you take it that far since Rogers lowering the grrf is good for you.

They did however, increase the prices of PPU texts and 411 calls not too long ago.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
TerryTsang wrote: I saw on my last bill that the GRFF is being changed by rogers(a decrease) am I allowed to get out of my contract with this change in fees? I have been looking for details and you can supposedly get out of a contract when they change any fees, so I would think I would be able to do so.

Why do people sign contracts they have no intention of carrying to term?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
You signed the contract. Honor your part of it as I am sure you expect Rogers to honor their part.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1176 posts
480 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Ah, no. You can't weasel your way out of a legitimate contract in this case. Even if any change in fees were a valid reason, attempting to void a contract when the change benefited you wouldn't get you very far.

That would be a funny conversation.

Hello Rogers, I would like to cancel my cell contract based on the recent change in fee's for my monthly bill

Okay, what's the change in fee's?

I'm getting charged less!

Jun 29, 2009
147 posts
11 upvotes
[QUOTE] according to canadian wireless law, if there is any material change in your contract you have 30 days to accept the change or you are allowed to exit the contract without any early termination fees. I am just trying to find out if this counts as a material change, since if it wasn't they would be allowed to jack up the GRFF and I would not be able to cancel my plan without paying the ETF. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]In the case of such material changes that are unfavourable to customers, we either give them the right to terminate the contract without any additional fees for early termination, or allow them to remain on the unchanged contract.[/QUOTE]

Even if it's considered a material change, which do you think rogers will choose: go back to charging you more money per month and keep you on until your contract expires? or let you cancel the contract with no penalties?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
4025 posts
17 upvotes
Dante19 wrote: That would be a funny conversation.

Hello Rogers, I would like to cancel my cell contract based on the recent change in fee's for my monthly bill

Okay, what's the change in fee's?

I'm getting charged less!

+1 if anything they will change it back up for you, dont do anything stupid.