Tags:
None
Apr 21, 2009
456 posts
160 upvotes
Tri Cities

help me build a media server/player with $150

Hi,
For all your computer experts. I need your help building a media server/player machine for $150 + tax (sata hdd drives, USB periperals and software costs are extra and not included in the $150). Is this even possible ?
typically I would use this machine to share all my media files so that the whole network has access to them.
I would place this machine at our home theatre room and use it a a media player connecting to the TV and the audio system.
possibly downloading torrents in the background while watching a movie.
It would also be used to browse the internet and play flash videos and the occasional flash games. (not a gamer)

requirements:
- it must have hdmi out
- support a minimum of 2 sata hard drives
- able to play smooth/skip free 1080p videos with DTS/Dolby digital audio out
- able to play smooth/skip free bluray ISO and possible supports 3D
- must be relatively quiet (very faint fan noise is acceptable)
- gigabit ethernet
- simple NAS functionality (I dont need raid) but I do need all the files available to the whole network at gigabit speeds
- ultra-low power consumption when only doing NAS functionality
- supports USB wireless keyboard, mouse, universal remotes, printer and external storage/hdd

I live in BC so I have local access to NCIX, memory express, futureshop, bestbuy etc. I can build the machine myself etc as long as no soldering is required, I am good to go.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
XBMC would be a great solution for you. You can just download it for Linux and not waste money on a Windows license. Spec-wise you can get away with one of those nettop PCs but from the gist of it you want more than just a single HDD solution.

Most HTPCs usually have room for 1 HDD and maybe a bluray player but it will be tight squeeze. I have the Zbox nettop with nvidia ION processor and can play BDrips with ease.
Oct 24, 2007
526 posts
241 upvotes
Not possible. A core i3 is $110 alone, + MB around $90.
Jun 23, 2009
175 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
I will give it a shot since I built a similar machine for the same purpose as yours:

AMD athlon X2 (CPU doesn't have to be too powerful)+ MB w/ HD4xxx hdmi out (w/ dxva, it can handle 1080p mkv DTS/DD) and heat sink <$100
2GB DDR3 ram $20
DVD drive $20 (Optional as I don't see you mention DVD or BR disc)
300 GB harddrive <$35
Cheap Case with 300W PSU $35 (use the PSU at your own risk)
I see you mention BlueRay ISO, so if you need to bit stream
DTS-HD/DD-HD you may need a better video card <$50 ( may be upgrade later with your current budget)

With no optical drive and discrete GPU, it comes to around $190 or cheaper
It does what you asked to do, and with XBMC you can handle 1080p mkv and save on OS(WIN) as linux also does smb for file sharing
Apr 21, 2009
456 posts
160 upvotes
Tri Cities
thanks for all the response.
One thing I am still struggling with is power requirements. What is the optimum CPU, video card, power supply combo that I can get that would fullfill my requirements but also uses very little power. maybe an atom cpu or something with low power motherboard with built in video card ?
I wont need a dvd/bluray drive permanently. Just initially to set everything up. I would just probably borrow the dvd drive from my main computer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)