• Jun 3rd, 2011 9:39 am
Tags:
None
May 21, 2008
921 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa

mkv playback on Xbox360

I am trying to stream mkv files (720/1080P) from win 7 PC to Xbox360. I am using ethernet to connect Xbox to router and then to PC. I was able to run most of the movies fine but not the HD movies. So I download the DivX pack.

Now I can play the HD movies on xbox too but it stutters a lot. I am using on board video of PC for HD playback..do you think that's the problem. But if I play the same movie on PC itself it plays fine.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
12 replies
Aug 24, 2010
227 posts
45 upvotes
I never got my xbox 360 to play mkv files...They dont show up
Mar 2, 2011
321 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
I use Tversity with Divx pack. 1080P HD, it is really smooth. But the only problem is fast forwarding/rewinding. It takes some time for the transcoder to resume playing.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
yanksingh wrote: I am trying to stream mkv files (720/1080P) from win 7 PC to Xbox360. I am using ethernet to connect Xbox to router and then to PC. I was able to run most of the movies fine but not the HD movies. So I download the DivX pack.

Now I can play the HD movies on xbox too but it stutters a lot. I am using on board video of PC for HD playback..do you think that's the problem. But if I play the same movie on PC itself it plays fine.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

if your pc is on wireless that would probably be the problem. I had the same problem when my pc was on wireless, but the problem was gone once i had a wired ethernet. Btw can you play the files without 1st going to windows media center?
May 21, 2008
921 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
bargain man wrote: but if you use windows media center then your xbox can play whatever media player can play on your computer
I don't think that is true. I was able to play all the HD files in media player on PC but not able to play on xbox.
May 21, 2008
921 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
bargain man wrote: if your pc is on wireless that would probably be the problem. I had the same problem when my pc was on wireless, but the problem was gone once i had a wired ethernet. Btw can you play the files without 1st going to windows media center?

I am using ethernet so speed is not the issue. Not sure what do you mean by last part?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
549 upvotes
Oakville, ON
It could be your router. When I first started streaming I had a crappy old Dlink router that was at least 6 yrs old and it would stutter when playing files with higher bitrates. I bought myself a Dlink DIR-655 (I think that's the model) and everything plays smooth and crisp at all times.

I also encode my mkvs to wmv-HD files which the Xbox360 will play no problem. I use TMPGEnc to encode my movies/tv shows.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1510 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
bargain man wrote: but if you use windows media center then your xbox can play whatever media player can play on your computer
No, because Windows Media Centre streams the file to your Xbox. It doesn't re-encode/transcode on-the-fly into a compatible format.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... ox_360.cfm
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
JPTN wrote: No, because Windows Media Centre streams the file to your Xbox. It doesn't re-encode/transcode on-the-fly into a compatible format.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... ox_360.cfm

well this has been my experience. I could not stream mkv files from my computer, but after installing divx 8 i could stream them in windows media center but still not in dashboard. Also there are two ways to play media on the xbox. 1 way is the go though the dashboard and then play whatever by going into libraries. another way is to hit the guide button and go to windows media center.
May 21, 2008
921 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
Got it working ..it was onboard video. I tried with dedicated video card and everything worked ...thanks all for your help ..cheers :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)