Personal Finance

Capital One horror stories...should I be worried?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2011 8:28 am
Tags:
None
Oct 25, 2009
66 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Capital One horror stories...should I be worried?

I recently applied online for the Capital One World Aspire credit card and called today to check on the status of my application. They told me I was approved for a 10K limit and would be sending me documents through the mail. I am excited for this card because of the awesome benefits and points it offers (I've read alot on this card through RFD).

Should I be worried though? If you google Cap One theres a ton of bad reviews about them screwing customers over. I pay my purchases off as soon as I charge it so I always carry a zero balance...so I cant see how I would have a problem with them, right? I just got so freaked out after I did more research on various credit card forums...maybe the people who hate cap one are the ones who never pay off their balances or forget to pay and end up being sued by them

Please tell me I didnt make a big mistake signing up for the World Aspire CC! It does look like a great card, especially because I like to vacation and fly several times a year
5 replies
Aug 31, 2010
64 posts
6 upvotes
I don't have any problems with them for the past year....

I also just redeemed like 700$ worth of travel on the card...pretty good so far...

I think it's like Hyundai...used to be bad..not is pretty good :)
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
Some people complain when they get coffee that's too hot.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1154 posts
140 upvotes
YUL
I've sorted through those sites before when researching MBNA. 90% of the people who have issues are delinquent in some manner. Conversely, I had a MBNA card for almost 7 years with no issues and actually had several positive experiences with their customer service.

To me the complaints against AMEX are more worrying.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
CRAZYBUBBA wrote:
To me the complaints against AMEX are more worrying.

Very well said. AMEX doesn't care about longevity, spending etc when they want to stick it to someone. They are strict, have their policies and usually don't bend them. I'd be more worried about them as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I've had a cap 1 card for over 10 years. It hasn't been bad. Used to be my main card, now just secondary card.

The only thing that bothered me was that 1-2 years ago I had phoned to ask for a credit increase and they just straight out said they were not granting increases to anyone. No check or anything, just said they had a blanket policy in place and were not giving credit.

The other thing is (this won't affect most) that for some reason on At Home memberships, Cap 1 won't let them update credit card info resulting in me getting canceled, then every year they renew it only to be canceled a few weeks later because the info is out of date.