Tags:
None
Oct 24, 2010
462 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto

RBC Infinite Avion vs CIBC Aventura World vs BMO WorldElite

which ones better?

CIBC and BMO world cards offer travel cancellation but RBC doesn't..
but what else?

thx
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Depends what you want to use it for.

If you want to use it to convert to frequent flyer miles, then Avion has the edge since they have a reoccurring promotion where miles can be converted to British Airways at 1 RBC Mile to 1.5 BA Miles... Aventura can be converted to Aeroplan 1 to 1..

If you want to use it for other rewards, I tend to prefer Capital One Aspire or TD First Class or Amex Blue Sky (for low spenders) to any of the three you listed. Likewise, if you want to convert to Aeroplan or another Frequent Flyer program, the Amex SPG or Amex Gold Rewards would be my choice.
Oct 24, 2010
462 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
CorSter wrote: Depends what you want to use it for.

If you want to use it to convert to frequent flyer miles, then Avion has the edge since they have a reoccurring promotion where miles can be converted to British Airways at 1 RBC Mile to 1.5 BA Miles... Aventura can be converted to Aeroplan 1 to 1..

If you want to use it for other rewards, I tend to prefer Capital One Aspire or TD First Class or Amex Blue Sky (for low spenders) to any of the three you listed. Likewise, if you want to convert to Aeroplan or another Frequent Flyer program, the Amex SPG or Amex Gold Rewards would be my choice.

But AMEX gold or SPG doesn't have out of country medical insurance..
I would like to have travel rewards plus other travel benefits such as out-of-country medical insurance as well as trip delay/cancellation benefits.
I realize Capital one seems like a great deal, but I really can't trust its reliability. I also only carry one credit card with me.
Reyshel01 wrote: Cibc
why CIBC?

thx
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1154 posts
140 upvotes
YUL
markymark01 wrote: But AMEX gold or SPG doesn't have out of country medical insurance..
I would like to have travel rewards plus other travel benefits such as out-of-country medical insurance as well as trip delay/cancellation benefits.

AMEX gold has out of country medical asd well as trip delay and baggage insurance.
Oct 24, 2010
462 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
CRAZYBUBBA wrote: AMEX gold has out of country medical asd well as trip delay and baggage insurance.

Yeah, I was just about to edit my post.. Just looked it up..

how does it compare to other premium travel cards such as Avion, World and World Elite cards?
to me, it looks the same or better..

why is it so hard to pick one card? haha
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
markymark01 wrote: But AMEX gold or SPG doesn't have out of country medical insurance..
I realize Capital one seems like a great deal, but I really can't trust its reliability. I also only carry one credit card with me.

why CIBC?

thx

If you are only carrying one card, that rules out AMEX because of its acceptance. Lot of small retailers don't accept it at all.

RBC Avion is better than Aventura because of its BA miles promo. If that doesn't intrigue you then CIBC Aventura does the trick. Why wouldn't you consider TD First Class? if you don't mind me asking?
Oct 24, 2010
462 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
Deal Grabber wrote: If you are only carrying one card, that rules out AMEX because of its acceptance. Lot of small retailers don't accept it at all.

RBC Avion is better than Aventura because of its BA miles promo. If that doesn't intrigue you then CIBC Aventura does the trick. Why wouldn't you consider TD First Class? if you don't mind me asking?

oh, I just knew about RBC, CIBC, and BMO....how does TD compare to the 3 I mentioned?
and if I carried 2 cards, would Amex gold be one of the 2?

and if i were buying flight tickets, and booking hotels, which card should i use for the benefits?

thx

edit: I could only get the points calculator on BMO and TD.. it says 45,000 points for BMO is worth $800 and TD is only worth $225
but BMO travel coverage is much lower.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
markymark01 wrote: oh, I just knew about RBC, CIBC, and BMO....how does TD compare to the 3 I mentioned?
and if I carried 2 cards, would Amex gold be one of the 2?

and if i were buying flight tickets, and booking hotels, which card should i use for the benefits?

thx

While Aventura and Avion can offer higher rate of return they definitely have more limitations, TD First Class is consistent with its 1.5% return rate. You can book any travel using any agency or website and call TD Rewards to redeem your points. Each $ earns you 3 pts and 10,000 pts are worth $50. If you use tdtravelrewards to book flights then you can earn 3x the points which translate to 4.5% return. Points never expire and you can read about it here,

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/fir ... travel.jsp

I think if you are looking for a good backup then nothing beats AMEX SPG because it can offer tremendous rate of return for miles conversion or for booking hotels in Europe & Asia.

I hope this helps...
Nov 27, 2009
319 posts
25 upvotes
Get the AMEX Gold/SPG for your main credit card and the Capital One Aspire World as your backup.
With Aspire's anniversary bonus, you get the card for almost free which makes sense since this could be your goto card where they dont accept AMEX. For everything else use the AMEX. You can convert your points to Aeroplan/FF if you wish or just use it for travel credit.

You could also consider combinations like TDFC & Capitalone or CIBC/RBC with Capitalone. Keeping Capital One makes sense because it makes keeping two premium cards cost effective.
I am pretty sure they are reliable enough even though you cant walk into one of their banks...a lot of people are using it.
Oct 24, 2010
462 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
Musabbir wrote: Get the AMEX Gold/SPG for your main credit card and the Capital One Aspire World as your backup.
With Aspire's anniversary bonus, you get the card for almost free which makes sense since this could be your goto card where they dont accept AMEX. For everything else use the AMEX. You can convert your points to Aeroplan/FF if you wish or just use it for travel credit.

You could also consider combinations like TDFC & Capitalone or CIBC/RBC with Capitalone. Keeping Capital One makes sense because it makes keeping two premium cards cost effective.
I am pretty sure they are reliable enough even though you cant walk into one of their banks...a lot of people are using it.

and which card would you use when booking for flights or hotel?

the point calculator says that if you have 45,000 points, BMO one is worth $800, TD is worth $225, and Capitalone is worth $450...
and for all, you get 1 points for every $1 you spend...

is this right?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
markymark01 wrote: and which card would you use when booking for flights or hotel?

the point calculator says that if you have 45,000 points, BMO one is worth $800, TD is worth $225, and Capitalone is worth $450...

is this right?

No.

Aspire World is 2 points per dollar. The Aspire also gives you 10,000 free points each year.

TD First Class Travel is 3 points per dollar, 9 points per dollar when booking travel through TD Travel Centre.
Nov 27, 2009
319 posts
25 upvotes
If you choose the Capital One and AMEX Gold Rewards combination, then I would choose AMEX to book for flights and hotels. Both the cards give you 2% back(AMEX for travel,groceries,gas).

with capitalone, it will need spending of 22500$ to get 45k excluding bonuses. The Amex would require a bit more but if you convert them to Aeroplan and are able to redeem for a flight, then you might come out ahead. Problem with Aeroplan is seat availability but if you can make it work , its worth it.

markymark01 wrote: and which card would you use when booking for flights or hotel?

is this right?
Oct 24, 2010
462 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
so, I will go with either SPG/Gold as my primary card.
Even though, I will probably go with Gold as it is free for the first year.

Should I go with TDFC or CapOne as my 2ndary?

thx
Nov 27, 2009
319 posts
25 upvotes
CAPone since its almost free with the anniversary bonus.
TDFC if you have Select Service with TD which will get you the card for free.

At least thats what I would do in your position.
markymark01 wrote: so, I will go with either SPG/Gold as my primary card.

thx
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
markymark01 wrote: so, I will go with either SPG/Gold as my primary card.

CapOne because the annual bonus will help offset the annual fee.

Although if it's only a secondary card and you plan to put most purchases on the AMEX, then maybe something free like an MBNA Smartcash would be good enough as a backup. All depends how much you plan to spend on the second card (enough to offset the annual fee?)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)