• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2011 7:29 am
Tags:
None
Jun 23, 2005
135 posts
48 upvotes

Credit Card never activated

Total n00b question but thought a few seconds typing this might save me some wait time on hold on the phone...This seems like a stupid question... But I signed up for a credit card and because of the mail strike I didn't get it for weeks. I don't want it as I've found a much better deal/card. I have NOT called to activate the card yet. Do I still need to cancel anything? And would anything happen to my credit rating if I did have to cancel it (hasn't been used/activated)

Thanks!
3 replies
Mar 14, 2011
19 posts
City
From my understanding - the credit card is already on your credit file, even though you haven't activated it yet. In some cases, the cards work without even requiring activations (but that's another issue).

Therefore, if you cancel it now the card will likely damage your score by a bit as it will be shown as "Closed without established history", which is worse than if it would have been closed after several months would have passed showing good conduct.

I ask someone else to confirm this though.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
What the above poster said is correct. The damage has already been done, activate it, use it for 3-4 months till it starts getting reported as paid and then close it. You dont have to charge much, just buy a pizza or something every month.

In the bigger scheme of things, if you have multiple established accounts with long standing history, then perhaps leave it as is. It shouldn't matter as much.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1154 posts
140 upvotes
YUL
In my youth, I had been bullied into getting a People's jewelers Citi mastercard. Upon receiving it I called to cancel (never activated) and the credit file said "closed at customer's request". If the card is worthless to you, ditch it. It's too late to undo the affect on your credit, however, it's just a blip in the big picture.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)