• Sep 11th, 2011 10:40 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes

House insurance (contents)

I would like to know from people which insurance company would be the best to deal with to insure my house contents. BCAA? Cooperators? Any others?
Currently renting a 2bdr apartment and I'm mainly interested in a fire (glue + sawdust apartment building) / earthquake (bc :P) insurance (which from what I was told, are separate?)
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1223 upvotes
Halifax
Messerschmitt wrote: I would like to know from people which insurance company would be the best to deal with to insure my house contents. BCAA? Cooperators? Any others?
Currently renting a 2bdr apartment and I'm mainly interested in a fire (glue + sawdust apartment building) / earthquake (bc :P) insurance (which from what I was told, are separate?)
If you go to an Insurance Broker they will be able to look over a number of policies and you can choose the cheapest one. You don't pay extra for going to a broker, the insurance companies charge the same price whether you buy directly from them or from a broker.

And it's been a couple years since I lived in Vancouver, but back then earthquake insurance used to be a rider than you added onto your insurance. I think it costed me about $10 for a rented one bedroom apartment. And it had a separate deductible which I believe was 10% of the total amount you insured.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
794 upvotes
It's a good idea for tenants to get content insurance.

I agree with above: contact a broker and they can shop around.

In a recent thread, many people wrote TD is pretty good.
Aug 11, 2011
837 posts
1425 upvotes
Toronto
I pay about 20 bucks a month for my condo. I'm not sure if this works in BC, but i got multiple home insurance quotes using these guys.
Aug 16, 2004
365 posts
85 upvotes
I usually like to shop around quite a bit when looking for insurance, athough tenant insurance doesn't cost much so it might not be worth as much effort. I usually start with Kanetix to get a few quotes, and phone a couple different local insurance brokers (each broker may have access to different sets of insurance companies). Since there are many insurance companies out there that can only be accessed through a broker, it's very helpful to contact at least one. The big banks are usually a rip-off, except for TD Canada Trust (which sometimes has decent rates). TD also offers Meloche Monnex with low rates for those who can get a "group rate", such as University alumni, or sometimes your employer has a group plan.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
This might be a bit of a wired question, but is there any website where I can find brokers around? Never dealt with a broker before, other than ICBC's autoplan.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
1066 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver
A friend of mine went through TD Insurance and paid $251 for the year for his tenants/renters insurance in BC. This included all perils, leaky condo, and earthquake protection.
Aug 17, 2011
68 posts
3 upvotes
HALIFAX
I've been with BCAA and there are many companies out there that will give you a better rate. I recommend checking out TD. As already mentioned, it's a good idea to check out a broker too.