Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NCIX

OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SSD 2.5IN SATA2 - Only $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2012 4:19 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 31, 2012
2 posts
1 upvote
Shawinigan

[NCIX] OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SSD 2.5IN SATA2 - Only $99.99

Hi everybody, here's the first offer that I put on the forum.
Here's the "OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Indilinx Arowana Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD" that cost $129.99 - $30 manufacturer's mail-in rebate = $99.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=62603 ... omoid=1141
19 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1838 posts
268 upvotes
Grimsby, ON
I've heard from everyone to stay far, far away from OCZ. SSD's are already extremely bad for breaking down... but OCZ is the worst.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2005
5485 posts
384 upvotes
Mississauga
bibowski wrote: I've heard from everyone to stay far, far away from OCZ. SSD's are already extremely bad for breaking down... but OCZ is the worst.

I though SSD's were good in terms of reliability since they dont have any moving parts..why are they unreliable? Sorry havent really researched much in SSD..all I know is Intel SSD are top notch
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2501 posts
145 upvotes
York
bibowski wrote: I've heard from everyone to stay far, far away from OCZ. SSD's are already extremely bad for breaking down... but OCZ is the worst.

They're not bad. They have a 3% failure rate compared to Intel's 1%. But they're dirt cheat so there's pros and cons.
dealsoutlook wrote: I though SSD's were good in terms of reliability since they dont have any moving parts..why are they unreliable? Sorry havent really researched much in SSD..all I know is Intel SSD are top notch

That's right, but that's a different type of reliability.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2984 posts
2445 upvotes
Mississauga
dealsoutlook wrote: I though SSD's were good in terms of reliability since they dont have any moving parts..why are they unreliable? Sorry havent really researched much in SSD..all I know is Intel SSD are top notch

OCZ has a track record of failing when it was new in the market, after their bios 2.xx it seemed to have fixed the problems they once faced, but lost a large group of early adopters.

Problems that were dominant (but not restricted to): fail to boot, OS crash, Sudden loss of power, Driver errors.
I personally have 2 OCZ drives, and they work flawlessly (I did however have to get one of them RMA because it did not boot no matter what I tried), the forum is very helpful and I found their service for RMA pretty nice and easy.

The speed of their drives are the best bang for buck IMHO, but again if you don't see the problems. I have recommended them to a fair number of friends who all say they work very well. Even with their new 34nm and 25nm technology, the speeds are pretty sweet for the price.. Nothing can really come close.

I use the Agility 3, and Vertex 2 (older model), and I have tested their Vertex 3, plus, 1, solid 3.

Hope that helps.
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
This drive has extremely slow transfer rates of 250mbs and 150mbs write....... its definetly not a hot deal. Its pretty cold actually.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1655 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
sustained write speeds are the least important part of an SSD.

This drive will crush any standard HHD as a boot drive!

I have the 60GB version and its running flawlessly in my HTPC
Nov 13, 2007
533 posts
269 upvotes
Montreal
"Extremely slow transfer rates" is a relative term.

If you're coming from a traditional platter HD any current SSD is leaps and bounds ahead of it. WD black and even WD raptor can't keep up with real world perceived speed of SSD's, certain bench tests maybe.

I'm currently running a 128GB Patriot TorqX Indilinx Bigfoot SSD that I purchased off Ebay 2 years ago. SATA2, disk testing stated around 220mb/s read and ~160mb/s write when I first installed it. I havn't ran tests since then and probably has slowed down because windows was only re-installed early last year. Going from my WD 500gb Black to this SSD was like night and day. Apps load much quicker, windows loads quicker, games load quicker. Basically boils down to the system is waiting for your input rather than you waiting for it to complete a task (provided your supporting components are adequate).

Sure newer gen SSD's use SATA 3 and boast 500+mb/s transfer rates. But in reality perceived real world speed increase between say this Intel 320 series drive and a Sata3 Sandforce drive is NOT the same as going from traditional platter HD to any current SSD regardless of transfer rate benchmarks.

Purchased one of these yesterday for my other PC, 7 year old AMD athalon on WinXP SATA1! I'll try my luck, hopefully it'll be recognized properly by the BIOS.
Dec 14, 2003
641 posts
108 upvotes
OCZ drives have bad reputation as they are the majors in terms of SSD sales. More sold, means more with problems...

I have 5 OCZ drives at home and they're all fine after over a year of usage.
Jul 12, 2005
565 posts
185 upvotes
Peterborough
I bought this drive a month ago when it was on sale at TigerDirect.ca at for the same price. Popped it into my Macbook Pro (mid-2009), formatted it, then installed OS X Lion. It has dramatically decreased the boot time and I am very pleased with the overall performance! No issues whatsoever.

For $100, you can't find a better and more effective upgrade, IMHO.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5820 posts
3846 upvotes
West Vancouver
OCZ mir are prepaid amex card.

Received mine after 4 months.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2008
1244 posts
2129 upvotes
Somewhere Ontario
ummm...... i see the price as

159.98 - 30 MIR for 129.98 with the link provided.

I still hate how NCIX always has 2 links to items, promo link and normal link.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2008
1396 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
is it just me or do I see it as $159.98 - $30 = $129.98?
My Rogers Plan: 250 DT, Unlim. inc., Unlim. E/W @ 8pm, 100 CDN LD, 100 txt sent/unlim. rec., CID/VM/Call forward & transfer = $15.90/month after all tax and fees.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
how good is this? I just bought 5 but didnt read reviews
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
From the reviews, OCZ SSD are among the worst with the highest failure rates.
Aug 8, 2008
398 posts
137 upvotes
Calgary
45% of reviewers gave it 1/5 at Newegg. Many problems corrupting data, apparently.
-

Your mileage may vary.