• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2012 2:51 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Where can you get the cheapest Personal Line of Credit Rate

I need to get a personal line of credit (not home equity line of credit).
Anyone know of any bank that give prime +1 or prime + 2 rate?
I get offered prime + 3.5, but I think it is too high.
Please help.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
13 replies
Dec 1, 2010
239 posts
22 upvotes
At RBC we have two at +3.7 and +3.5. It's unsecured so I would be surprised it many people get much lower than that.
Jan 21, 2012
15 posts
Nova Scotia
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I need to get a personal line of credit (not home equity line of credit).
Please help.

I have one at prime +1 with BMO but it is a secured LOC. I believe the rate would have been prime +3.5 if I had gotten an unsecured one.
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
if u are a student, try to get a student line.
it is around prime + 1 or less.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
Prime + 0.75% unsecured LOC, professional program at National Bank.
May 27, 2007
286 posts
103 upvotes
Vaughan
I am getting prime + 1.5% at Scotiabank for unsecured
May 28, 2005
627 posts
61 upvotes
Markham
got prime + 1.5% unsecured at RBC this weekend. They gave me staff rate cause I have my mortgage with them
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1785 posts
693 upvotes
Ive been at prime +3.75% with TD for years. They are now upping me to +4.25%

When I got my mortgage at CIBC they looked into getting me a LoC but couldnt beat +3.75 for me anyay.

I now have a HELOC at prime +1 though so will use that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
born2be_lazy wrote: got prime + 1.5% unsecured at RBC this weekend. They gave me staff rate cause I have my mortgage with them

The RBC prime + 1.5% sounds promising.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I need to get a personal line of credit (not home equity line of credit).
Please help.

The best personal LOC rating you can get is usually from the bank you already deal with.

I highly doubt any bank who doesn't know you from squat to want to beat the rates you can get from your own bank. (unless you agree to move your mortgage, financial portfolio over to them)
Feb 7, 2012
639 posts
148 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
mikeymike1 wrote: The best personal LOC rating you can get is usually from the bank you already deal with.

Except TD. They are increasing unsecured LOC rates for many customers even though the customers have a lot of business with them.
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
afiglee wrote: Except TD. They are increasing unsecured LOC rates for many customers even though the customers have a lot of business with them.

Canadian banks are expanding their banking locations and hours, especially TD.
We will all see bank fees rising from them. My rate for TD's line hasn't increase yet.
My dad got a letter from stating that they will slash 1% off.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
afiglee wrote: Except TD. They are increasing unsecured LOC rates for many customers even though the customers have a lot of business with them.

They have to recoup the lost profits from MBNA's 0% and 1.99% interest rates for X amount of time somehow. Kinda makes one look forward to the exciting changes that will take place when they take full control of MBNA. :-0
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes
born2be_lazy wrote: got prime + 1.5% unsecured at RBC this weekend. They gave me staff rate cause I have my mortgage with them

Thanks for the post. I am getting a mortgage with them and will see if they can do the same for us. We haven't closed.

Our unsecured is P+2.25 right now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)