• Feb 5th, 2012 9:59 am
Tags:
None
Feb 2, 2012
223 posts
23 upvotes
BRAMPTON

Traveling while on EI

I just got laid off after working 5 years at a steel mill in hamilton, along with 40 others. I already mad money put aside for a trip I am taking at the end of march.

Now I am on EI and collecting 400$ every 2 weeks. I am going to take advantage of this and go to school for free with second career at humber college. Its a program where if youve been laidoff they pay for your school.

Now If I give my money to someone else and they pay for my trip, would that be ok?

Can EI just deduct me for the 3 days I am gone(vegas)

For the sh*t talkers- No I am not going on vacation with your hard earned tax money, I guarantee I've earned it busting my ass for 5 years at a steel mill.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
EI doesnt care about your personal life. you earn your money, you pay your taxes, enjoy.

EI will put a stop to payments until you get back. Thats all. No deductions. No nothing. You're in the country, you get EI, you're not in the country, your EI is stopped until you return. I went to Europe on vacation for 2 months and my EI started again from where it left off before i went away. Give them a call, tell them the trip date and you're done.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote: EI doesnt care about your personal life. you earn your money, you pay your taxes, enjoy.

EI will put a stop to payments until you get back. Thats all. No deductions. No nothing. You're in the country, you get EI, you're not in the country, your EI is stopped until you return. I went to Europe on vacation for 2 months and my EI started again from where it left off before i went away. Give them a call, tell them the trip date and you're done.

This. I can confirm!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
They don't pay you the days you're outside the country because you're not ready, willing, and able to get a job. I've heard (not confirmed) that they do this for weekdays, so if you go over a weekend nothing changes. By the way they double check CBSA exit/entry records for those who don't report their absence from the country.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
gstar1 wrote: I just got laid off after working 5 years at a steel mill in hamilton, along with 40 others. I already mad money put aside for a trip I am taking at the end of march.

Now I am on EI and collecting 400$ every 2 weeks. I am going to take advantage of this and go to school for free with second career at humber college. Its a program where if youve been laidoff they pay for your school.

Now If I give my money to someone else and they pay for my trip, would that be ok?

Can EI just deduct me for the 3 days I am gone(vegas)

For the sh*t talkers- No I am not going on vacation with your hard earned tax money, I guarantee I've earned it busting my ass for 5 years at a steel mill.

$400?? Really??? You must have been making peanuts at that steel mill :cheesygri

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)