Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
VirginMobile.ca

Virgin Mobile - New Referral Program - $50 gift card for new activations

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2012 8:24 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 15, 2010
110 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver

[VirginMobile.ca] Virgin Mobile - New Referral Program - $50 gift card for new activations

I just noticed this on the front page of the Virgin Mobile site.

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/members-l ... riend.html

The promo requires an existing VM member to "like" them on Facebook. In return, VM will provide a referral code on Facebook that is used during the checkout process

Requirements seem to be:

-purchase a new phone or SIM card
-postpaid month-to-month (30 day) or yearly plan
-process must be completed on-line
-friend needs to pay at least one bill

Once that has been completed, VM will email you asking which type of gift card you would like. The options are

-Cineplex Odeon
-H&M
-New York Fries

The promo is capped at 5 referrals ($250 worth of gift cards). Both the referrer and referree will receive a $50 gift card.

The deal is good if you were planning on signing up for Virgin Mobile anyways. Plus, it's an alternative to the promotions from FutureShop and BestBuy.

I presume this can be combined with the existing $75 gift card promos and 1st month free (on 3 year contract) text plans. However, I haven't verified that.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP.
By Process must be completed online do they mean the phone transaction ie buy from VM or do they just mean the referral transaction?
Apr 15, 2010
110 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver
Buying the phone and inputting the referral code needs to be done online. Whether any stores want to bend the rules is YMMV
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
1642 posts
236 upvotes
Quebec
I would say those 50$ GC have an average 20% resale value. (10$)

And to be honest they aren't wort **.. to me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1459 upvotes
Regina
dikdiputs wrote: Buying the phone and inputting the referral code needs to be done online. Whether any stores want to bend the rules is YMMV

bend the rules, bend the rules!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
transisto wrote: I would say those 50$ GC have an average 20% resale value. (10$)

And to be honest they aren't wort **.. to me.

same here though isn't there a gift card swap/trade site which should have higher redeem value ?
Apr 11, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
I'm new to RFD.
I'm thinking of joining Virgin Mobile with a new phone and plan. How do I get a referral to get a bonus for me and the existing member? How's the Virgin service and is the Samsung Galaxy 550 okay or should I pay more and get the HTC Wildfire S. I'm bummed that I missed the $125 GC deal.
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
rfdtoronto wrote: I'm new to RFD.
I'm thinking of joining Virgin Mobile with a new phone and plan. How do I get a referral to get a bonus for me and the existing member? How's the Virgin service and is the Samsung Galaxy 550 okay or should I pay more and get the HTC Wildfire S. I'm bummed that I missed the $125 GC deal.
Thanks.

Virgin uses the Bell network, so it should be decent in most areas in Canada. I have few issues with Virgin's customer service. Their billing and IT people seem to lack competence though. At least Virgin's customer service people can adjust the bills, though I seem to have to deal with them monthly, because the bill is never right. I now send them a monthly email asking them to charge the right amount, and they adjust the bill to the proper amount.

I do not know how the Virgin referral system works. My head hurts thinking about it.

I think you would be better off with the wildfire, or the Galaxy Gio. The Galaxy 550 does not have good battery life, uses Android 2.1, and the screen does not do multi touch Bell, Virgin, and president's choice mobile phones tend to be interchangeable without needing to unlock their respective phones, so see if you can get a better price from those carriers phones.

If you are in no hurry, you can get a better deal. a decent promotion from Virgin tends to pop up from time to time.
Sep 4, 2008
13 posts
****************** Also will it work if I ONLY want to activate a micro SIM on a prepaid plan for my unlocked iPhone 4?
Jul 3, 2008
73 posts
15 upvotes
From the VM referral coupon:

"How does it work?
1. Buy a hot new phone or SIM card with your promo code at a Virgin Mobile store or
online at virginmobile.ca.
2. Once you sign up on a Virgin Mobile SuperTab™, 3-year or 30-day agreement and
pay your first bill, we’ll send you and the Member that referred you an email to pick your
$50 gift card from The Body Shop, H&M or Cineplex.
Heads-up! This Facebook-only offer isn’t available on our Prepaid Plans and only counts
for new activations only, not upgrades.
For more info check out virginmobile.ca/referafriend or head to your nearest Virgin
Mobile store.
Need to find a store? Visit virginmobile.ca/storelocator"

In Ontario, the choices are H&M, Body Shop or Cineplex.

Aug 3, 2006
168 posts
46 upvotes
If this offer is valid without having to purchase a phone from Virgin (i.e. just need to get a Sim Card from them), I recommend the Sony Xperia Ray. Look here: fs-telus-sony-ericsson-xpreia-ray-prepa ... a-1200845/

I just bought this phone for my wife, upgraded to ics and got it unlocked; it works great! She's not using data though so not sure how the Virgin data network is.

Aug 3, 2006
168 posts
46 upvotes
abby15 wrote: ****************** Also will it work if I ONLY want to activate a micro SIM on a prepaid plan for my unlocked iPhone 4?
It says that prepaid plans are not eligible for this offer. *********************
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2925 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
nksnks wrote: In Ontario, the choices are H&M, Body Shop or Cineplex.
Thats not much of a selection. I use virgin so I can offer up some codes for anyone that wants these cards.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1214 posts
18 upvotes
They seemed to have changed their plans, they've had different ones couple of weeks ago. All the plans >$50 are gone now.