Personal Finance

Helping Parent pay mortgage, any tax credit?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2012 3:04 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1352 posts
97 upvotes

Helping Parent pay mortgage, any tax credit?

Asking all RFD Tax gurus, can I claim something in this situation? Paying father's full mortgage payment every month...
5 replies
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
mtl514 wrote: Asking all RFD Tax gurus, can I claim something in this situation? Paying father's full mortgage payment every month...

You cannot claim a tax credit on mortgage payments period. Only rent.
Oct 24, 2011
623 posts
180 upvotes
Timmins
No more tax credits on rent or prop tax paid on your principal residence in Ontario. Instead, you input the rent or prop tax you paid and you will see your rebate once a month starting in July 2012 (assuming you qualify).

If you are paying someone else's rent or prop tax, you still cannot use it on your tax return because it is not your principal residence. Mortgage payments never were eligible for a credit or deduction period.

Just noticed the OP is from Mtl. Don't know anything about the QC provincial return
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
mtl514 wrote: Asking all RFD Tax gurus, can I claim something in this situation? Paying father's full mortgage payment every month...

No.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes

If your father has no income and your own income is not that high and you do live with him, don't pay the mortgage. Rent your room from your father and pay him the rent. Let him pay the mortgage. Claim tax credit from your rent.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
if they live with you, you can claim dependent credit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)