• Feb 28th, 2012 7:47 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 14, 2007
441 posts
409 upvotes

RRSP overcontribution question

I understand that there is a lifetime over contribution allowance of $2000. If I contribute this amount today, will I get a tax deduction for it for the 2011 tax year? Or is it simply that this amount is allowed to grow tax-free but I don't get a deduction?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2204 posts
227 upvotes
DrXenon wrote: I understand that there is a lifetime over contribution allowance of $2000. If I contribute this amount today, will I get a tax deduction for it for the 2011 tax year? Or is it simply that this amount is allowed to grow tax-free but I don't get a deduction?

The overcontribution room is wiggle room so that you don't get hit with the 1% penalty if you go off by a little. $2000 is too much.

The lifetime isn't really meaningful, it's just that at any time, you can't have more than $2,000 than what you're allowed to deduct.

Your last sentence is mostly correct, it's allowed to grow tax-free, but the overcontribution essentially gets wiped out when you get earned income and new RRSP contribution (deduction) room the next year.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1736 posts
776 upvotes
Calgary
DrXenon wrote: I understand that there is a lifetime over contribution allowance of $2000. If I contribute this amount today, will I get a tax deduction for it for the 2011 tax year? Or is it simply that this amount is allowed to grow tax-free but I don't get a deduction?

You can use it in a future year, not this one. So If you over contribute $2000 this year, you'll have to wait for next years tax time to claim it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)