• Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2012 10:17 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 21, 2006
6 posts

Box 24 and 26 of T4 is ZERO

Hi!

My wife received her T4 slip from her previous employer and in the Box 24 and 26 of this slip, ZERO is entered. I understand this is EI insurable earning. What is the implication of a ZERO in these boxes. I know for sure that she paid her Unemployment insurance and it is also entered in her payslips.

Now she has applied for her Maternity EI benifits. What will be the impact of this being ZERO on her benifits assessment? We are confused..... :cheesygri Appreciate if someone can throw some light on this.!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1420 posts
297 upvotes
Don't have to fill those boxes out, don't worry about it
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2497 posts
138 upvotes
Saskatoon
If they are the same as box 14 then they don't have to be filled.

Until 2012. Starting this year, box 24 & 26 are required.
Conquistador wrote: One other thing you should know for future reference. If it is on the subject of taxes, listen to ghostryder. He knows his stuff.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1605 posts
175 upvotes
Markham
OP says that ZERO is entered. This is different then it being blank, isn't it? If zero is entered then no CPP or EI should be deducted, right?

If OP meant that nothing is entered then yes do nothing. Nothing is the same as box 14.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
I read the requirements for box 24 and 26 differently.

The guide clearly states "Starting on January 1, 2012 (for the 2011 taxation year), box 24, “EI insurable earnings” must now be completed on the T4 slip at all times. For more information, see page 11."

It also states - "Starting on January 1, 2012 (for the 2011 taxation year), box 26, “CPP/QPP pensionable earnings” must now be completed on the T4 slip at all times. For more information, see page 11."

Page 3 - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4120/rc4120-11e.pdf

I took this to mean that 2011 T4's must be completed by filling out both boxes?
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
DdBigs wrote: OP says that ZERO is entered. This is different then it being blank, isn't it? If zero is entered then no CPP or EI should be deducted, right?

If OP meant that nothing is entered then yes do nothing. Nothing is the same as box 14.
Box 24/26 should never be blank - if there are no insurable earnings, 0 should be entered. If earnings are exempt (which is different than not having insurable earnings), 0 should be entered and then there should be an "X" in box 28.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2497 posts
138 upvotes
Saskatoon
dutchca wrote: I read the requirements for box 24 and 26 differently.

:D :facepalm: Guess I shouldn't read & eat.

Why don't you just phone the employer and ask. Maybe it's a misprint.
Conquistador wrote: One other thing you should know for future reference. If it is on the subject of taxes, listen to ghostryder. He knows his stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
ghostryder wrote: :D :facepalm: Guess I shouldn't read & eat.

Why don't you just phone the employer and ask. Maybe it's a misprint.
LOL - I'm not suggesting I'm correct, the wording in the guide is not clear to say the least.

OP - I would say that the T4 is incorrect. Ghostryder has a good point - call the employer to confirm.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
If box 24 and 26 are blank, it means it is the same as box 14. They are only filled out if different from box 14 (2012 T4 will be different). Blank does not equal zero. If they're is a physical 0, it means your insurable and pensionable earnings were $0, which is usually not the case for an employee - call your employer if a zero shows, to clarify.

edit: did some reading, and yes for 2011 T4s, box 24 and 26 must be filled out. I wonder if it's an issue with her employers T4 software, maybe they left it blank (habits die hard), and it defaulted to 0 as the software knows it must put something in the box. I'm unsure, but assuming isn't EI exempt, I would call the employer to enquire about the 0 in box 24 and 26.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)