Fashion & Beauty

What retains value as well as a Rolex but isn't a Rolex?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2012 1:44 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA

What retains value as well as a Rolex but isn't a Rolex?

I personally do not like Rolex watches for whatever reasons...

Are there other brands that retain / appreciate in value just as well as Rolex but isn't Rolex?

I would like a new watch but I'd rather not buy a Rolex.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Vacherone Constatine and probably the best watch on retaining value hands down is Patek Philippe.

Rolex actually doesn't retain its value. The price increases that happens a few times every year causes the prices of older Rolex's to increase, since there is no change to the model. A older version can then be sold at similar prices.

You can also see this happening on certain Omega watches like the PO, Speedmaster (moon watches).
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1512 posts
373 upvotes
Edmonton
I wish I could add to this with a lot of knowledge but I'm watching as well (please pardon the pun)

A few years ago I had the same question and I guess I still do. I broke down and bought the Rolex even though I feel there are better watch values out there and I hope that there are other watches that will appreciate more.

I bought a new Rolex for about 70% of what they were charging in local shops. I was happy with that deal and I felt I had some built in protection against small price drops. When I received it I promptly had it appraised and insured at the full retail value. It's the watch I wear almost every day now.

In hindsight, I believe that the best approach would be to find something that has been worn and will hold it's value. You don't take the $ hit by taking it from pristine to used and you get to enjoy a watch that has depreciated from it's emotional price to it's value price. There are many high quality watch brands that should fit the bill. Choose one you like :)
You can't steal in slow motion
Dec 25, 2009
408 posts
19 upvotes
there are lots of brands that hold value similar to Rolex. You just have to know the particular models of each line. Not all Rolex models appreciate, the Datejust, Daydates don't hold their value very well. Some things to consider when buying a watch if you are strictly concerned about resale value (You should buy the one you like versus what will go up in value) are:

1. Generally stick with sport models (mens watches always hold up better than womens)
2. Stick to Stainless steel
3. Get a watch that is made by a true watch maker, and that is all they do. Brand with good history and reputation. Armani is a fashion designer, not watchmaker.
4. Avoid fads and trends. Try to get something that has a lower production.
5. some good brands are Panerais (although they are becoming less popular), IWC, Omega, Patek, Lange & Sohne, Cartier (roadster, santos...etc)
6. Lastly, get something that is not heavily discounted brand new....i.e Tag Heuer. Why would anyone buy your used watch if they can get it new?
I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. good luck!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Watches are lousy investments. Expecting a watch to retain value is like expecting a car to retain value. It's a piece of jewelry, buy it and wear it.

As a side note, beware of high end brands that "retain" their value. An 8000$ Rolex that sells for 75% after 5 years has lost 2000$ in value. A 700$ Hamilton that sells for 10% of it's value after 5 years has only lost 630$.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1343 posts
575 upvotes
MARKHAM
Rolex is timeless...
I just picked up a new Sub-C, love every bit of it. Do I care about depreciation, NO.
Because it's a watch I will be wearing and keeping in my collection for a long time, I have no intention of selling it.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1512 posts
373 upvotes
Edmonton
purebluejapan wrote: Rolex is timeless...
I just picked up a new Sub-C, love every bit of it. Do I care about depreciation, NO.
Because it's a watch I will be wearing and keeping in my collection for a long time, I have no intention of selling it.
I've already promised my stainless/platinum Yachtmaster to my son when I die and that's a long time from now I hope. For now it is my daily wear although I do have other watches that I pull out for special occasions or special needs. Unlike you, I do care about the preservation of wealth but, like you, I'm not selling.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2013 posts
613 upvotes
Calgary
My Rollax that I bought on the street for $8 has only lost $8 worth of value.

Hard to beat!
Feb 28, 2007
716 posts
37 upvotes
My Lexus retains more value than my Platinum Rolex's.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
r1lee wrote: You can also see this happening on certain Omega watches like the PO, Speedmaster (moon watches).
It's basically any infamous watches that are timeless... JLC Reverso, Heuer Monaco, Rolex Sub, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
DeathRazR wrote: My Lexus retains more value than my Platinum Rolex's.
THen your platinum Rolex must be a Folex. Cause that's not at all possible.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1512 posts
373 upvotes
Edmonton
DeathRazR wrote: My Lexus retains more value than my Platinum Rolex's.
I see the link... you can tell time using the clock on a Lexus.

you overpaid for your rolex if it has lost a lot of value

check back with us in 10 years
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1343 posts
575 upvotes
MARKHAM
Anatomy wrote: I see the link... you can tell time using the clock on a Lexus.

you overpaid for your rolex if it has lost a lot of value

check back with us in 10 years
:lol:
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
actng wrote: I personally do not like Rolex watches for whatever reasons...

Are there other brands that retain / appreciate in value just as well as Rolex but isn't Rolex?

Don't buy a Rolex then. Buy something else and invest the left over cash. Rolex doesn't appreciate in value. They just jack the price so high, used becomes attractive.

Now that other brands are doing the same, there are others that will soon be in the same boat as Rolex. Some brands are going through a revival and once on track, they will begin to appreciate because they will eventually charge more due to broader recognition and the rising Swiss franc.

Breguet is coming out with new technology as is Patek. Tag Heuer is trying to pull their behind out of the ashes as well along with Montblanc and Baume and Mercier.
Even designer brands such as Cartier, Bvlgari and Hermes are using new tech instead of rehashed ETA movements. As they become more recognized for their watches, the price shall rise.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1596 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
Basically, just buy whatever AudiDude and r1lee recommend
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
superock wrote: Basically, just buy whatever AudiDude and r1lee recommend
+11111 they know watches
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
actng wrote: I personally do not like Rolex watches for whatever reasons...

A used Rolex.