• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2012 5:17 am
Tags:
None
Dec 9, 2010
500 posts
92 upvotes

Tailoring your own dress shirts

Anyone here ever tailor their own dress shirts to make them a slimmer fit? I have a LOT of shirts I want to do and I think it would be cheaper if I could do them myself.
5 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You mean as in sit down with needle and thread and actually do it yourself, or taking them to a seamstress to do the alterations for you?

Unless you really know what you're doing, I'd leave it to the pros.

That having been said, getting baggy shirts altered isn't a bad idea, but keep in mind that you can only alter them so much before the shape / fit gets screwed up.
Dec 9, 2010
500 posts
92 upvotes
No like with a sewing machine, you can run the sides of the shirt through, the machine sews it for you, and then you cut off the excess fabric. Has anyone done this?

How much is it to tailor a dress shirt anyways?
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
It would be dead-easy to slim the sides; the only problem you might encounter would be if the sleeves need taking in too...that's a bit more complicated. Depending on the size, if you take the body part in too much, the sleeves look out of proportion. Try doing it with a practice shirt first.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1958 posts
84 upvotes
Darting is cheaper (<$15). Remove fabric from the side costs more.

If you really have lots of shirts to do, negotiate with the tailor for a better price?
May 15, 2012
56 posts
I would never tailor my shirt by myself, unless i am professional~~~~~~~~

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)