Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4962 posts
6862 upvotes
GTA

Movado watch quality & longevity?

I considering buying a Movado Datron. Coming from a TAG Kirium I bought in 2002 and worn everyday since; it's served me well, still keeps perfect time, never once needed servicing except to replace battery, however, the bracelet is pretty much finished and at $800 for a replacement I've decided to move on.

Can any MOVADO owners, past and present, comment on the brand's overall quality, reliability and longevity?

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
Wrong section
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a TAG Kirium and owned at least two different Movados. No problem with them at all, they make solid cases and parts. The movements in them are pretty standard stock movements, so no issue there.

I was considering a Datron as well. Are you thinking of Quartz or mechanical. Keep in mind that mechanicals don’t really keep accurate time unless they are calibrated, and most brands (that I’ve owned) don’t do a good job of calibrating them out of the factory, they either run fast or slow by 5-10 seconds a day.

Basically they are on par for their cost (compared to other low-mid end brands)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4962 posts
6862 upvotes
GTA
warpdrive wrote: I have a TAG Kirium and owned at least two different Movados. No problem with them at all, they make solid cases and parts. The movements in them are pretty standard stock movements, so no issue there.

I was considering a Datron as well. Are you thinking of Quartz or mechanical. Keep in mind that mechanicals don’t really keep accurate time unless they are calibrated, and most brands (that I’ve owned) don’t do a good job of calibrating them out of the factory, they either run fast or slow by 5-10 seconds a day.

Basically they are on par for their cost (compared to other low-mid end brands)
I'm looking at the Datron Chrono quartz. PM'd you about it.

I have no complaints about the TAG case and movement but for $3k I expected the bracelet to last more than 10 years- it started to break down after about 6 years (pins and the holes they pass through wearing/widening out). Maybe this is normal? or maybe I'm hard on my watch.

How do you find the Movado bracelets stand up?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
you must be pretty hard on the watch because I still have my Kirium, and it's a scuffed but still perfect otherwise...the stylingd oes look a bit dated now like most other old TAG models...that's my only beef with it

Most Movados are not in the class of TAG for case build quality, but the Datron is better than the average Movado in terms of solidity. I wouldn't hesitate if you love the look. I had a classic Movado Museum and my wife has the Vizio and they both held up fine for years. Probably my only complain is that the battery didn't last as long as I expected, only 3 years average.

I think their mechanical chrono Datron is really beautiful...it's too bad the Quartz model doesn't have the constrasting subdials
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4962 posts
6862 upvotes
GTA
warpdrive wrote: you must be pretty hard on the watch because I still have my Kirium, and it's a scuffed but still perfect otherwise...the stylingd oes look a bit dated now like most other old TAG models...that's my only beef with it

Most Movados are not in the class of TAG for case build quality, but the Datron is better than the average Movado in terms of solidity. I wouldn't hesitate if you love the look. I had a classic Movado Museum and my wife has the Vizio and they both held up fine for years. Probably my only complain is that the battery didn't last as long as I expected, only 3 years average.

I think their mechanical chrono Datron is really beautiful...it's too bad the Quartz model doesn't have the constrasting subdials
If you live IN GTA take your TAG to Sears Eaton Centre watch repair booth and have them buff/polish the scratches out of case and bracelet, cost $60-70, comes out looking very nice. Their watch guys are pros, know what they're doing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)