Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario

Xplornet 30 gig add on falls a little short

With little to no Internet options, I was looking into satellite Internet. When I contacted xplornet, the information I had was 44.99/month, for I believe 20 gig. I figure we need at least 50 gig at our household, so I was pleased when I saw a 30 gig add-on for $5/month making it 50 gig for around $50 total out of the options and prices here, that seemed reasonable. I got more info from their call centre, only to be told that its on a three year contract but the usage add on would only apply to the first year for $5 a month. I was told 'then it goes back to regular price'. Expecting it would have been maybe 50% off for the year, I was a littler shocked to be told there IS no regular price, and what they were trying to tell me is that after a year for the following two years I would be paying the per gig overage charges. In my mind that isn't a change in pricing after the first year of service, but its an actual change in the product.

Their usage charges are $3.50/gig (I believe. I can't view their website properly on my phone). Pretty steep. So to continue my usage at 50 gigs/month my bill would be $45+$105 in usage! Insane!!!

Anyone else have better luck with a satellite Internet provider or know how to get a better usage plan with xplornet? None of the local ISP's can service our place with wireless. :( my only options are satellite or cell phone data (and wind is spotty here outside the city).
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Satellite and cell internet are both rather expensive options. That said, have you checked what the prices are for Telus/Bell/Rogers? You only mentioned Wind. I know the three big ones are more expensive, but you have little choice in the more rural areas as the newer companies don't have very good coverage yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
If your doing DATA, you will get raped by both.

If wind is spotty have you looked into cell phone amplifiers to see if woudl work for you ( cost $300-800 )
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Yeah. All the big cell companies are expensive. Even wind is basically capped at 10 gig. Pretty low for home use. Might check out the amplifier.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
xplornet SUCKS!
if i were you i would look into a WISP in your area first.
TSI does wireless maybe they service your area.
which part of london are you in?
Start also provides wireless as well.
same with Execulink.
wavedirect is satellite but better then xplornet.

best place to ask is here.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wisp

just post up a thread with your postal code and ask an isp to contact you or if anyone knows a wisp in your area.
you should get a reply within a few hours.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
infamouskid wrote: if i were you i would look into a WISP in your area first.
TSI does wireless maybe they service your area.
which part of london are you in?
That's what we were trying to do. No TSI. We are south of the city. In an interey black hole it seems. Start does our area but says our immediate area is a dead zone.

I found anoter local company which had it set up here but speeds were crazy slow and it often disconnected. We were trying to work through the issues, then one day they showed up and removed the device off our antenna tower (without telling us). They are almost impossible to communicate with and only reply to about 1 in 4 emails and don't answer questions.

I just called xplornet again. He assured me that in a year they 'will' have more add on packages available, and they are telling all customers that, as they have been instructed. They just don't know what the prices will be. This year is a trial to see how it goes, and how much people use it sounds like.

Still nothing in writing though for in a year. If they change their mind. What a difficult position they put people in (like me
Many dont have any options). Thinking of taking the gamble. But I dunno.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
do not go with xplornet. you will regret it.
just post it up on dslr using that link and hopefully you will get a full blown MIMO provider that can serve you.
redgrandam wrote: That's what we were trying to do. No TSI. We are south of the city. In an interey black hole it seems. Start does our area but says our immediate area is a dead zone.

I found anoter local company which had it set up here but speeds were crazy slow and it often disconnected. We were trying to work through the issues, then one day they showed up and removed the device off our antenna tower (without telling us). They are almost impossible to communicate with and only reply to about 1 in 4 emails and don't answer questions.

I just called xplornet again. He assured me that in a year they 'will' have more add on packages available, and they are telling all customers that, as they have been instructed. They just don't know what the prices will be. This year is a trial to see how it goes, and how much people use it sounds like.

Still nothing in writing though for in a year. If they change their mind. What a difficult position they put people in (like me
Many dont have any options). Thinking of taking the gamble. But I dunno.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)