Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

New Router or Expansion?

I'm not sure what I should do. My current router has run out of ethernet ports and Wifi is not an option. Should I get a switch?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=054608

It's an Apple Airport Extreme from 2008 so it's quite old but I've never had the need to upgrade it. Thinking of getting VOIP service which will require another port free so I'm SOL on that front.

Any suggestion on a really good router in the $50 or so range? Beyond having some more extra ports, I'm not at all versed in the new Wifi standards, although my router is 802.11n compatible.

Thanks
9 replies
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
Any 'network switch' will work. You can get switches ranging from $10 - $50 depending on the speed and ports you want.
If your router has GIGABIT ports, you should get a GIGABIT switch for speed.

Try to find a "GREEN" advertised switch: network switch that uses very low power and can turn off ports that are not in use.
GREEN GIGABIT switches are on sale time to time from NCIX.
Right now NCIX has this GREEN + GIGABIT model:
[IMG]http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp ... .250x.jpeg[/IMG]
TL-SG1005D 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch for $16.99 CAD
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
2008? boss... time to replace that thing.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
gnuman wrote: NCIX has this router on sale http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=74472&promoid=1146 but if you need more ports you need a switch
This has the same number of ports as my current unit. I do need a switch I guess and the one linked above by gamerthumbs should work fine. FYI, same price at CC. Need to pick one up.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
TP-Link and TrentNet often have 5-8 port switches for $15-25...just watch for sales. If you need more than that, 24 port switches sometimes go on sale for under $100.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Scycotic wrote: TP-Link and TrentNet often have 5-8 port switches for $15-25...just watch for sales. If you need more than that, 24 port switches sometimes go on sale for under $100.
That's too much. Like I said, I only need one or more ports. I could probably sacrifice one right now for what I need it for but haven't had time to set it up. Anyway, $15-20 sounds about right. I'm going to get the 5 port.

Is TP_Link a new company? I haven't heard of them before.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Supercooled wrote: That's too much. Like I said, I only need one or more ports. I could probably sacrifice one right now for what I need it for but haven't had time to set it up. Anyway, $15-20 sounds about right. I'm going to get the 5 port.

Is TP_Link a new company? I haven't heard of them before.
Became more popular the past few years, budget pricing, decent quality. They're not bad, and some people swear by them. Personally I use them for non-critical stuff. Taiwanese company. Some say they cut corners to get the much lower prices, but I haven't seen any proof of that yet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Getting a switch is a good idea, later if you need a new router you do not have to consider the number of ports it has as you can just plug in your switch and have all the ports you need.

I personally love TP link stuff, all consumers routers cut corners in one way or another, with TP link atleast they pass the bulk of the savings down to the consumer.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)