Computers & Electronics

Can not delete a file from my Downloads folder, need help.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2013 11:17 am
Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2008
471 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver

Can not delete a file from my Downloads folder, need help.

Hi guys, I'm running Vista on a Dell Inspiron. Yesterday I downloaded some old attachments (virus checked), mostly pdf files from people I know, to clean up my email account. Then today I found a file entitled "The" in my Downloads folder. Might be just a coincidence and not related to the email thing, but I thought I'll mention it. Anyhow,the icon is just a white page and it's not clear what kind of file it is. When I try to delete it, it won't let me, saying "Could not find this item. This item is no longer located in C:\Users\(my username)\Downloads. Verify the item's location and try again." I tried it several times, no go. Transferred all items in my folder to another, to try to delete the folder itself, nothing. Restarted the computer, and then an hour ago also restored to two days ago, still nothing. Microsoft Security Essentials can't scan it. It's almost like nothing can locate the file. When I click properties, the size is zero, and also zero on disk. What else should I try? Thanks.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
try using ccleaner
The sweetest gyal
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
Did you try booting into safe mode and deleting the file?
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
Aug 21, 2011
854 posts
232 upvotes
If neither of the two methods from above posters work, I'd then recommend making a "live usb" or "live cd/dvd" of a distro/version of linux, such as ubuntu or DSL (damn small linux) if you don't want to waste much bandwidth downloading it. Boot linux off of that USB or dvd(or cd) and use it to delete the file from your downloads folder.
Mar 3, 2008
471 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks guys, I tried both methods but didn't work. As far as 596722, sorry, I'm computer illiterate, I have no idea what you just said. :p
May 20, 2012
242 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga
Make a new folder in the folder then delete it.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
3047 posts
701 upvotes
That means a process has a lock on the file during/after boot up.
Have you tried booting up in Command Line mode?
http://www.itechtalk.com/thread4863.html

You could also try to rename the folder in which it resides.
Hopefully whatever process has a lock on it is hard-coded to go after the file in that folder.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
You can often delete a stubborn file by moving it to the Windows Temp folder. For some reason Windows allows you to do that even when the file can't be deleted from its original folder.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2927 posts
334 upvotes
Nations Capital
The way I got rid of a recent file that refused to delete.

Was to boot to safe mode command prompt and delete it that way.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
While you're at it install a real OS. ;)
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Sometimes can be deleted in DOS. Sometimes not. Check to find out what program thinks it is using the file and disable it in task master. I was hoping this would be fixed in Win 8 but I guess it's still there...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
+1 for Unlocker. It's one of those useful utilities you really need on your Windows system. You can usually manage to delete a locked file by rebooting in safe mode or other such measures, but using Unlocker is quicker and easier.