Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1868 posts
493 upvotes
TORONTO

Dual booting?

I installed windows 8 on a seperate hard drive laying around. Originally I had windows 7, with 1 hard drive in my computer. Now I want to put the windows 8 hard drive as well. How do I dual boot it from the bios, instead of me clicking and going into "Choose with drive to boot from" from the bios when I could just see a screen and chose which one too boot?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
I believe you would need to partition "1" HDD (ex: 50% for win7 and 50% for win8) during the OS install.
This is how I had my system setup before using only 1 HDD, in which the option to select the OS is during boot up.
Jan 14, 2013
854 posts
99 upvotes
Gatineau
zakregent wrote: How would I do it when I have two hard drives installed on my desktop? I don't want to partition two os in one hard drive
You can't.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4497 posts
725 upvotes
zakregent wrote: So I have to manually select which one to boot?
well ya you cannot boot up two OS simultaneously.

you can install one OS in one hdd and another in the other one. Just need the boot manager to direct to the right window drive. but windows should do that automatically
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dual boot is useless on your main system. I guarantee you will use it no more than 5 times before realizing it's a waste of effort and disk space.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
balance wrote: well ya you cannot boot up two OS simultaneously.

you can install one OS in one hdd and another in the other one. Just need the boot manager to direct to the right window drive. but windows should do that automatically
This.
board123 wrote: Dual boot is useless on your main system. I guarantee you will use it no more than 5 times before realizing it's a waste of effort and disk space.
+1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)