Computers & Electronics

Did Java update add "Ask" tasktar to my Chrome browser?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2013 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary

Did Java update add "Ask" tasktar to my Chrome browser?

I was on my computer this morning while this Java update message popped up. I always updated Java and never had any problem with it. But once the process was done I noticed a very stupid looking "ASK" taskbar added to my chrome browser. It wouldn't let me delete as extension, neither I could uninstall it from the control panel. After a long struggle I finally got it removed for good.

I don't recall seeing anything about a new taskbar during the Java update process but is it possible that it's something that comes with the update? Anything I can do to prevent it from being added to my browser again? I do want to update Java I just don't want the extra taskbar. :razz:
8 replies
Feb 14, 2013
396 posts
42 upvotes
Montreal
During the installation its asking if you want to install it or not. You can remove it from your windows control panel > Program and features (add a program)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
yep, java update added ask toolbar. sneaky sneaky sun
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
460 upvotes
Guelph
"Ask" is the like the stringy turd hanging on for dear life from a dog's butt. Can't believe they're still around.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Strange enough I didn't see anything about a new taskbar during the update. Removal was a real pain because the darn thing stayed active behind the scene. One must find the right chrome task and end process to deactivate it. Once it's deactivated then it can be removed by going to the control panel. I actually found two ASK taskbars installed to my computer but only one could be removed directly from the control panel. Initially my computer kept saying it couldn't locate the second taskbar. I had to go back and forth and repeat the process until it allowed me to uninstall the second one. It was such a pain! Next time I will pay very close attention to what's happening when I update Java.
Nov 29, 2007
839 posts
81 upvotes
Victoria BC
Ask Toolbar is included by default in Java installs. You have to explicitly opt out during the install if you don't want it. If you just go with the "recommended" install, then it will install Ask Toolbar without "ask"ing you.

This article has a good breakdown of what goes on: http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at-ho ... 000010038/
Mar 26, 2008
25 posts
5 upvotes
read and unclick before installing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Frosc wrote: Ask Toolbar is included by default in Java installs. You have to explicitly opt out during the install if you don't want it. If you just go with the "recommended" install, then it will install Ask Toolbar without "ask"ing you.

This article has a good breakdown of what goes on: http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at-ho ... 000010038/
That explains a lot of my situation. I had to laugh at the part where the article related " If you are busy or distracted or naïve enough to trust Java’s “recommendation,” you end up with unwanted software on your PC". That's epic for low tech people such as myself! :lol:
Feb 14, 2013
396 posts
42 upvotes
Montreal
Its like when you install adobe reader.. it wants to install google chrome or Mcafee... If you dont read first you are searching for trouble.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)