None
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis

computer to TV

Hi

I like to plug my laptop (Lenovo SL510) to my TV. In the front of the TV, theres is the S Video and the 3 RCA connections. I'm suppose to make an order to amazon and I wonder which connector to get. An HDMI to RCA?

Thanks,
Pourquoi pas?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
It would also help if OP could tell us what video ports are on the laptop.

Better yet, detail the make and model # of the TV and laptop.

It sounds like an old CRT TV ... with only S-Video & composite video.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
I connect my laptop to an old CRT TV with an s-video for video and a 3.5mm > RCA for audio.

You could always get a VGA > s-video cable if you wanted. HDMI > Svideo are expensive and not worth it.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis
Busybuyer888 wrote: It would also help if OP could tell us what video ports are on the laptop.

Better yet, detail the make and model # of the TV and laptop.

It sounds like an old CRT TV ... with only S-Video & composite video.
Good question. The Laptop is a Lenovo SL510 and the TV is an "old" Hitachi 43WX10B.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
SPARTACVS wrote:... The Laptop is a Lenovo SL510 ...
Listed with HDMI and VGA ports.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

You must be in love with your Hitachi t.v. You'll probably need to use 1 of these kinds of video converters.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1430
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... erter.html
In love? Ha ha, I don't know why you say that but we bough it a year ago for 100$. Our CRt at that time was pretty much from the same year but it was only a 4:3 27".

Does the video converters are needed? I'm asking because it changes the bill (2 cables vs 1 cable).
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
SPARTACVS wrote: In love? Ha ha, I don't know why you say that but we bough it a year ago for 100$. Our CRt at that time was pretty much from the same year but it was only a 4:3 27".

Does the video converters are needed? I'm asking because it changes the bill (2 cables vs 1 cable).
You have to get a video converter because your laptop doesn't output the signal your TV needs...it's not a case where you can simply use a passive adapter. However, usually those converters come with all the cables needed. Keep in mind the cheaper converters give worse quality. Depending on what you need it for, and what resolution your TV supports, you might want to check out different ones.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2434 posts
328 upvotes
Waterloo
I would recommend getting a cheap LCD TV.. chances are the output is going to look horrible on your tv
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Vladimir wrote: I would recommend getting a cheap LCD TV.. chances are the output is going to look horrible on your tv
+1.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
It depends what he's using it for. A Windows desktop won't look very good on an old CRT TV, but it's fine for video. No worse than the old CRT TV normally shows anyway.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis
Scycotic wrote: You have to get a video converter because your laptop doesn't output the signal your TV needs...it's not a case where you can simply use a passive adapter. However, usually those converters come with all the cables needed. Keep in mind the cheaper converters give worse quality. Depending on what you need it for, and what resolution your TV supports, you might want to check out different ones.
Is it because the TV is analog? If yes, wouldn't the VGA port on the laptop be able to do the job?
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
VGA/Composite are analog, HDMI/DVI/Displayport are digital. In order to convert one signal to the other, you need some sort of active converter box like what Fraser River Rat suggested. AFAIK no single cable will do, such as the HDMI -> RCA OP is asking about. There may be an "active" converter dongle but they're far from reliable.
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
I have done this a few years ago.

I used an inexpensive VGA to Svideo/Composite adapter I got off DX/eBay for $20 for an projector. The quality is fine up to 1024x768 for movie watching. At 800x600 is legible. Remember, you will have to use 4:3 ratio though ... which is bad if you have a wLCD ... which you do and thus you must set the resolution in 4:3 for both screens

I recommend you invest in a new wLCD TV with HDMI ... It is a hassle to setup it with all the wires and connections.

Buy this if you want. I have it and its 'alright'. I still have it.
[IMG]http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... RpSjzQ.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
SPARTACVS wrote: Is it because the TV is analog? If yes, wouldn't the VGA port on the laptop be able to do the job?
Even if two signals are analog, that doesn't mean they are identical. For example VGA uses five signal pins, three for colour info and two for horizontal/vertical sync, while component uses three cables, which have the sync signals coded into two of the colour cables. Then there's composite which has everything running on one single cable...

So even if you have some kind of passive adapter, you can't exactly push five signals into 3 cables...you need an active converter to re-encode the signal. Not exactly the same kind of active converter as a Digital to Analog (or vice versa) type, but still active.

Out of the common types of interconnect, the only ones that can use passive adapters that I can think of are DVI-A to VGA, DVI-I to VGA, DVI-D to HDMI, DVI-I to HDMI, (mini)DisplayPort to DVI, (mini)DisplayPort to HDMI, (mini)DisplayPort to VGA.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)