Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton

Is this a reasonable NAS solution

I'm considering buying an Iomega 35887 2 bay NAS enclosure. I'm looking to consolidate all the small external drives I have and my old Vantec NAS has a 320MB drive in it.

The uses for this drive would be to be a primary device for laptops and my desktop to stream from. It would also serve as a physically separate backup for my photos. For documents and my wife's work files I use Skydrive or Dropbox.

The reviews I've seen are either good or very poor - most of the complaints are around customer service and security cameras.

I plan on starting off with only one drive (I have a new 1.5TB drive that I picked up on sale and never took out of the clamshell. Down the road I'd likely upgrade to two 2TB drives and go RAID 1. That's overkill right now but I'd like the capability as my computers are likely to be ultrabooks/tablets/Surface like devices that will have smaller storage capability.

Thoughts? should I wait and go FreeNAS (I can get a HP tower in a month for free - but I have three dead HPs already so free isn't worth much)
2 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
I'd suggest maybe a better brand like a Synology 212j or a QNAP device. Iomega isn't really popular..