Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC

New build with older PSUs

I'm upgrading my older P3 NAS to a full fledge desktop and I'm gonna ditch my laptop in the process as well

My question is, would I be OK to re-use my old PSUs or should I go for a new one?

SPI/FSP/Fortron/Source

ATX-300PA (ATX12V 2.1)
[IMG]http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ ... 514-06.jpg[/IMG]

FSP300-60ATV (ATX12V 1.x?)
[IMG]http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ ... 915-06.JPG[/IMG]

Build:
Intel Core i3-3225
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
2x DDR3-1600 4GB
1x DVD-RW
4x SATA HDD 5400 RPM WD Green 1TB
1x SATA HDD 5400 RPM WD Red 3TB
2x SATA SSD Intel X25-M
2x 120mm fan

Using the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite, it says the requirement is ~215W, I may still run out of connectors though...
22 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
The first one should be fine. The second one wouldn't be recommended given the meagre 15A of +12v (180w max)
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
First one is fine. Second one is not ATX2.0 compliant, so you're likely missing the 24-pin ATX connector.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Right now it's just doing memtest and runs fine with the second one, I'll move it to the first one and monitor the voltages during load I guess

Otherwise, any recommendation on a cheap modular PSU with at least 8x SATA power cables?
Nov 14, 2008
857 posts
325 upvotes
I wouldn't put such a cheap old power supply anywhere near >$800 NAS
no need for modular you can just get some adapters or splitters if you dont have 8 sata power
Look for 500 - 600 powersupplies. 80 plus bronze minimum.

Daijoubu wrote: Right now it's just doing memtest and runs fine with the second one, I'll move it to the first one and monitor the voltages during load I guess

Otherwise, any recommendation on a cheap modular PSU with at least 8x SATA power cables?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote: Right now it's just doing memtest and runs fine with the second one, I'll move it to the first one and monitor the voltages during load I guess
XFX 550W Core Edition(9x SATA power cables) $61.47 + free shipping http://www.directcanada.com/products/?s ... acture=XFX
Don't forget to pm if possible, for example ncix http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliatei ... acture=XFX :)
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Power requirements on the newer gear have dropped considerably compared to the older stuff. But having the proper connectors is important.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
i have an antec earthwatt 500w psu that came with my antec sonata 2 case and i used it with my old build and planned on using it with my current but when i went to plug it into the z77 MB it was missing the new 8 pin connector that is now on the MB instead of the previous 4 pin. I really hated to up my budget to have to get a new psu but i couldn't do anything about it.

so make sure your psu has the proper connectors for the MB you chose. i would guess some of the older chip-sets for the current CPU's still have the old connections but cant say for sure.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Mine powers up fine with just the 4 pins ATX12V and the 20 pins ATX, it's only needed if you have a higher TDP CPU
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
Keas wrote: i have an antec earthwatt 500w psu that came with my antec sonata 2 case and i used it with my old build and planned on using it with my current but when i went to plug it into the z77 MB it was missing the new 8 pin connector that is now on the MB instead of the previous 4 pin. I really hated to up my budget to have to get a new psu but i couldn't do anything about it.

so make sure your psu has the proper connectors for the MB you chose. i would guess some of the older chip-sets for the current CPU's still have the old connections but cant say for sure.
You didn't "need" to use all 8 pins, or if you felt the need to, you could have used one of these

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-6in-Pin- ... B002O21XHQ
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L9 ... XYM7BQ91ZE

EA500 was a very good PSU, seasonic based. EA500D was Delta based, also good PSU. I used an EA380 with a Phenom II X4 at 4Ghz OC with a 6870 slightly oc'ed without breaking a sweat.
Daijoubu wrote: Mine powers up fine with just the 4 pins ATX12V and the 20 pins ATX, it's only needed if you have a higher TDP CPU
The extra 4pins on the 24pin ATX 2.0 connector vs the 20pin are for PCI-E power, not for CPU. The ATX12v 4pin is for CPU, which is now 8pin EPS as the standard. I ran using only a 4pin +12v on a Phenom II X4 at 4Ghz with no problem.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
lostintransit wrote: I wouldn't put such a cheap old power supply anywhere near >$800 NAS
no need for modular you can just get some adapters or splitters if you dont have 8 sata power
Look for 500 - 600 powersupplies. 80 plus bronze minimum.
I can't even count how many Sparkle/FSP PSUs I've put in machines, including small NASes and mission critical systems.
Granted, the OP has 300W where I usually deploy 400W, but I would have no issues (and often do) recycle Sparkles into new builds.
I always have a bunch on my shelf because I go through so many.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> i have an antec earthwatt 500w psu that came with my antec sonata 2 case

Sonata II came with a Smartpower II. It was the Sonata III that came with an Earthwatts. Luckily for me, my Smartpower II died (CWT special), and they replaced it with an Earthwatts.

Strange, I thought the Smartpower II came with an eight pin connector. The Earthwatts 500 (not all were Seasonic OEMs) + 500D both have eight pin connectors. But like the other dude wrote, you can try using just four pins. I have an older Asus board that uses eight pins, but originally, I only had four plugged in because I didn't notice that Asus put a cover over the other four pins :D .
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
rabbit wrote: > i have an antec earthwatt 500w psu that came with my antec sonata 2 case

Sonata II came with a Smartpower II. It was the Sonata III that came with an Earthwatts. Luckily for me, my Smartpower II died (CWT special), and they replaced it with an Earthwatts.

Strange, I thought the Smartpower II came with an eight pin connector. The Earthwatts 500 (not all were Seasonic OEMs) + 500D both have eight pin connectors. But like the other dude wrote, you can try using just four pins. I have an older Asus board that uses eight pins, but originally, I only had four plugged in because I didn't notice that Asus put a cover over the other four pins :D .
The smartpower II's originally didn't come with an 8pin but later on, they came with a 4+4 pin connector. My 500w smartpower had to be sent away for RMA to antec due to faulty fan and noisy buzzing. Second one came back with plenty of connectors including the 4+4. This one also developed an annoying buzz later on.
The original earthwatts were seasonic, later versions were not. The newer D's were Delta.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
What, newer EA500D are CWT? I thought Antec learned their lesson and stopped using them completely. I better check mine ...

My grey EA500 is Delta. Could be wrong, though, since it was years since I checked. It's the replacement I got for the dead SP430/450, CWT-special.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
rabbit wrote: What, newer EA500D are CWT? I thought Antec learned their lesson and stopped using them completely. I better check mine ...

My grey EA500 is Delta. Could be wrong, though, since it was years since I checked. It's the replacement I got for the dead SP430/450, CWT-special.
You're right, I'm wrong. I'm thinking of another series from Antec that moved to CWT from Seasonic on subsequent revision. My mistake.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
rabbit wrote: > i have an antec earthwatt 500w psu that came with my antec sonata 2 case

Damn. your right... i just looked at the box since i am still building a system for my mom using that case and it said sonata 3 on it. all this time since changing to the CM Haf 932 (hope that is what i have after all this) i've thought i had a sonata 2 in my storage. LOL.

anyway i didn't know i didn't need to connect the 8 pin connector to the MB. i figured if it says it needs it -it needs it.

what would the difference have been if i didn't use it and just used my earthwatts PSU?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
Keas wrote: Damn. your right... i just looked at the box since i am still building a system for my mom using that case and it said sonata 3 on it. all this time since changing to the CM Haf 932 (hope that is what i have after all this) i've thought i had a sonata 2 in my storage. LOL.

anyway i didn't know i didn't need to connect the 8 pin connector to the MB. i figured if it says it needs it -it needs it.

what would the difference have been if i didn't use it and just used my earthwatts PSU?
None.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
ok this may sound like a dumb question then but if there is no difference why make it an 8 pin connector from a 4 pin? or have it at all?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
To allow to carry more current, there's only so much a 18AWG wire can handle
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
Daijoubu wrote: To allow to carry more current, there's only so much a 18AWG wire can handle
than it sounds like it is needed and a real difference or i am just lost.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)