• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2013 6:05 am
Tags:
None
Mar 7, 2011
160 posts
30 upvotes

Gaming/media computer under $500- now looking for input on AMD 6800K build

I want something to play most recent games made on good settings and I don't want to pay over $500.

If I could wind up paying less for a minimal decrease in performance I'm fine with that.

There are not too many deals for pre built pcs with graphics cards for this price. Am I better building my own (I have no experience with this, though relatively confident about putting it together, and no idea what I need hardware wise) or waiting for something to come up from a store?
73 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Do you need monitor/OS/keyboard/mouse.
Mar 7, 2011
160 posts
30 upvotes
I don't need a keyboard/OS/monitor. I'm not really into FPS games but the most recent game I want to play is Bioshock revolution. I also want to play Skyrim and borderlands 2. Medium settings would probably be fine.

I should mention I have a 250gb SSD (but no 3.5" bracket) and a 1.5tb wd caviar green recovered from a external hard drive so that should cut the cost down. I also may not need a dvd reader/writer. I have another 3.5" drive I'd like to use if cost permits.
Jan 14, 2013
854 posts
99 upvotes
Gatineau
a Core 2 Quad with a GTX 570 - 670 + with 4 GB ram should be enough for those games on medium settings
The Biggest LIE I tell myself, I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it.
Mar 7, 2011
160 posts
30 upvotes
Is there some kind of web app that I can use to find a suitable build at the best price?

With Haswell's release, will the price of core 2 quads be going down much?
May 18, 2007
205 posts
6 upvotes
teamomega369 wrote: Is there some kind of web app that I can use to find a suitable build at the best price?

With Haswell's release, will the price of core 2 quads be going down much?
There isn't because places like Newegg and NCIX have instant rebates and MIR so it'll be hard to calculate. If you're solely using it for gaming (no Photoshop and heavy multitasking), I suggesting going the AMD CPU route. Most AMD mobo's come with all the ports you need. I found that intel based boards in the mid-low end come with less than 4 SATA3.0 which is not enough. $500 (before tax) is totally possible. I'll give you an example of my rig:

M5A99X Evo AM3+ Mobo
AMD FX3520 8 Core 3.5GHz CPU
XFX Ghost Radeon 7770 Graphics Card
CX500M (M = Modular) PSU
4GB (2X2GB) G. Skill RAM 1600, 9-9-9-24

Total cost is about $550 after tax and MIR. Like you I have a SSD, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc...

If cost is a factor and use is only for gaming I highly suggest going to AMD route. Get a 6 core high end and 7750 Radeon gfx card, it'll come to about $500.

EDIT: PM if you need help with stuff. Look for online bundles to save more money (CPU + MOBO).

The only problem is your case/chasis. I'm struggling to find a decent one with a good price right now.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
can i ask what is in your current rig?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
THEDARKLORD wrote: a Core 2 Quad with a GTX 570 - 670 + with 4 GB ram should be enough for those games on medium settings
People gotta stop recommending the C2Q. I just fell for this and it is sh*t compared to a i3. An i3 means you can get a z77 mobo which is way better.

Learn from my mistakes. A c2q is equivalent to a core i5 3rd gen MOBILE processor. The desktop version is leaps and bounds ahead of the c2q.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3142 posts
1031 upvotes
Toronto
I recommend this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/12qnV

I know it's stretching your budget a bit, but $500 is a tough call for what you want (recent games at a good setting). For $20 more, you can get an i5 instead of the i3 if you want: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80623i52400. I didn't include an OS because I figured you should have a license from your old rig.

As for the i3, it should be enough as modern games are more GPU and CPU intensive, and your GPU (7870XT) should be more than enough to handle modern games at a high to ultra settings on a 1080P monitor.

CPU scaling chart for BF3 so you know what I am talking about for modern games being GPU intensive: http://www.techspot.com/review/458-batt ... page7.html
Mar 7, 2011
160 posts
30 upvotes
Thanks for this. I think it would be better to pay the extra $20 for the quad core i5.

$200 is too much for a video card right now, a better price would be more like $80. I don't need more than medium low - medium settings for now and I don't mind non-1080p resolution either. As long as games are playable and if possible look nice I'll be satisfied. If the current card lasts for 3-4 years it might be worth it, otherwise I would stay on the lookout for a great deal on something similar. I figure that's an easy upgrade.

I would pay more for a case that allows for good airflow and easy installation of everything since it'll be in a dusty house and it'd be my first time building a computer.

Does anyone else have input on MikeMCs build with the i5 added?

An additional cost I didn't factor in was a universal power supply. @ infamouskid I have a laptop with a core 2 duo t9400 and ATI mobile radeon 3650 hd. not enough for most anything but Portal 2 runs surprisingly well on it
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
I've never used a UPS and never had a problem. YMMV.

Having a copy of Windows on a computer you bought at bestbuy does not equal having OS. You can't just move it between systems like that.

I would guess the best bang for your buck video card right now is something along the lines of the 7850 going for $150ish but not even close to an expert on that.

Getting a decent case is absolutely worth it, you can find things like Antec One for $40 on sale. Makes building and upgrading so much easier.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3142 posts
1031 upvotes
Toronto
teamomega369 wrote: Thanks for this. I think it would be better to pay the extra $20 for the quad core i5.

$200 is too much for a video card right now, a better price would be more like $80. I don't need more than medium low - medium settings for now and I don't mind non-1080p resolution either. As long as games are playable and if possible look nice I'll be satisfied. If the current card lasts for 3-4 years it might be worth it, otherwise I would stay on the lookout for a great deal on something similar. I figure that's an easy upgrade.

I would pay more for a case that allows for good airflow and easy installation of everything since it'll be in a dusty house and it'd be my first time building a computer.

Does anyone else have input on MikeMCs build with the i5 added?

An additional cost I didn't factor in was a universal power supply. @ infamouskid I have a laptop with a core 2 duo t9400 and ATI mobile radeon 3650 hd. not enough for most anything but Portal 2 runs surprisingly well on it
That $200 card will last you 3-4 years without much problem, after 3-4 years you should still be able to play most games at medium to low settings at least. If your target price is $80ish, you are better off getting a used card, there are some good deals. For example, I was selling my HD6850 for around $80-$90 and it still had 2.5 years of warranty on it.

So look around on the BST forum/Kijiji, at the $80 range a used card is usually the better bet. Just make sure to test the card and if the owner can give you the receipt in case you need the claim warranty that's even better.

If you are only interested in new cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... ,3107.html

I am not a case expert, but look for air filters if your house is dusty, or you will have to clean out the dust bunnies every month.

Lastly you don't have to buy everything at once. The part list I gave you, the i5-2400 and the AsRock Mobo is now OOS (might restock but idk), the cheapest i5 is now $190ish and it not even as good as that one (shows how good that list is lol). When you see a good deal on a part grab it, you don't need to get everything at once.

Imo the 8GB RAM at $55 is a okay deal, lately RAM prices climbed and shows no signs of falling, and you get free shipping: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008MF3R82/?tag=pcp0f-20

This PSU is also a great deal, usually they go on sale for $39ish after MIR, this is actually one of the lowest prices I've seen for this unit: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliatei ... omoid=1322

It should be more than enough for you needs, especially if you are looking at $80 GPUs, but if you want a more detailed breakdown: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuc ... orlite.jsp
Jun 2, 2013
4 posts
Build your own, but you might want to have a little more budget than that.
My i7, AMD Radeon 6570 and 6GB of RAM was not that expensive and worked good enough.
Mar 7, 2011
160 posts
30 upvotes
What's the difference between Intel and AMD CPUs with Photoshop? I don't use that but do occasionally edit photos and videos. it would still be primarily a gaming computer.

When is sale season for this stuff? I saw Newegg /tigerdirect type ads all the time before I started wanting to build.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
what is your budget on a machine?
for the best possible setup try checking this out.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
teamomega369 wrote: What's the difference between Intel and AMD CPUs with Photoshop? I don't use that but do occasionally edit photos and videos. it would still be primarily a gaming computer.

When is sale season for this stuff? I saw Newegg /tigerdirect type ads all the time before I started wanting to build.
Mar 7, 2011
160 posts
30 upvotes
infamouskid wrote: what is your budget on a machine?
for the best possible setup try checking this out.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
I want to pay less than (with some giving room):

$150 for CPU
$100-150 for video card
$100 for motherboard
$50 for case
$50 for power supply

This is a "for now" computer. When it starts becoming obsolete (2+ years hopefully) I might sell it.

Do i need to buy any other small things like paste, etc.?
Sep 11, 2006
977 posts
431 upvotes
MikeMC12 wrote:
Lastly you don't have to buy everything at once.
I would have to disagree. I know you can save quite lot of money by doing this but in case you run into any issue/problem, you have to deal with the manufacturer directly which can be a total pain in the behind if the company does not offer good support.

For example, I got a great deal on a Bitfenix case 4 months prior to putting everything together and it turned out the front panel USB 3.0 was defective. Bitfenix customer support was terrible beyond description; took multiple emails and at least 2 weeks before someone replied to your messages; I also started a thread in their forum back on Dec 2012 and I had to go on their Facebook page to complain before I got some results. And the most pathetic thing is that the replacement that they sent me after 6 months wait, still does not fully work! > :(
Jan 14, 2013
854 posts
99 upvotes
Gatineau
teamomega369 wrote: I want to pay less than (with some giving room):

$150 for CPU
$100-150 for video card
$100 for motherboard
$50 for case
$50 for power supply

This is a "for now" computer. When it starts becoming obsolete (2+ years hopefully) I might sell it.

Do i need to buy any other small things like paste, etc.?

I still say get them used from kijiji (a Q6600,motherboard,8GB ram and a decent VGA should be around 500 all together if not less since you only want the case without the HDD = lots of options from ppl that upgraded to an i7 for example and have used their old HDDs and now selling the rest)
The Biggest LIE I tell myself, I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)