Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1071 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto

need build help

just built my first computer. a few problems i am currently running into and could use some help. first off when i was setting up, in my bios i was getting a msg saying that my cpu was over heating. i am running a i5 3570 with stock cooler. also my 8 pin connector on my seasonic m12ii, is to short and i cant run it through the make, is it possible to make it any longer? possibly a female extension? any help or suggestions would be great. thanks.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
For the overheating, check the airflow and/or reapply the thermal grease; too much, not enough or airpockets can all lead to overheating. As for the second problem, Im pretty sure there are extenders - just browse around your favoriate e-tailer.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
make sure the cpu cooler is installed properly.
make sure there is contact from the heatsink cooler and that there is contact with the thermal paste on the cpu and heatsink.
as for the 8 pin connector cable you can buy an extender from your local computer store.
it will look like this http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=024725
i assume your in oakville. so the best places to contact would be here http://www.wintroniccomputers.com/page/contact-us and here http://www.compuresource.ca/index.php?o ... &Itemid=73
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
andrewjamespercival wrote:... bios i was getting a msg saying that my cpu was over heating. i am running a i5 3570 with stock cooler...
As already stated by others, double check the heatsink installation/connection.
Perhaps you connected it to the wrong header...
The stock cooler should be more than suffiicient to handle the Intel i5 3570.
andrewjamespercival wrote:... also my 8 pin connector on my seasonic m12ii, is to short and i cant run it through the make, is it possible to make it any longer? ...
Not uncommon situation.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1071 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
im getting a blue screen now, and the comp keeps shutting off. i think im going to try and get a cpu cooler, i was going to anyway. bios says im running at 74 degrees c. Seems wayy to hot. any special cleaning i need to do to get the old thermal paste off from the stock cooler?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
clean and re-apply the thermal paste to the CPU. I'm running an i7 2600k with stock cooler and never see those temps under full load while palying a flight simulator!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1071 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
so just buy some new thermal paste? the stock cooler comes with some on already correct?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
andrewjamespercival wrote:im getting a blue screen now, and the comp keeps shutting off... bios says im running at 74 degrees c. Seems wayy to hot...
That temperature is definitely abnormal.
Suggest that you do not use until source of issue identified and corrected.
I think mine maxes out at 54°C or so, under FULL LOAD.
andrewjamespercival wrote:... any special cleaning i need to do to get the old thermal paste off from the stock cooler?
To remove the old thermal paste/compound,
If possible, use 100% isopropryl alcohol.
Since the above is unlikely to be readily available,
You can purchase isopropanol (likely containing 99% isopropyl alcohol) at your local pharmacy. Since the area to be removed is somewhat large, initial wipe offs can be done with bathroom tissue soaked in alcohol.
For the final wipes/cleaning, you can use the cotton swabs. e.g. Q-Tips
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
andrewjamespercival wrote: i think im going to try and get a cpu cooler ... so just buy some new thermal paste? ...
Semi-decent aftermarket processor heatsinks should include a small tube of thermal compound/paste.
e.g. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus and Hyper 212 Evo series, although I would not could on the longevity of their fans.
Be aware that a number of the aftermarket heatsinks, may require removal of the mobo from the case, depending on design of case.
andrewjamespercival wrote:... the stock cooler comes with some on already correct?
Yes.
Did you remove the small plastic film prior to installing the stock heatsink onto the processor?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
just a suggestion but did you check the pc health status settings in the bios for the cpu fan control?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)