• Jun 16th, 2013 12:37 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto

Headphones: Beats by Dr. Dre?

I am looking to buy a quality headset for my sister. She is wants a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones.

Where should I buy a pair? Dr. Dre Solo HD $179.99.
33 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
Those Beats headphones are way overpriced for their sound quality. You are paying for its looks mainly. If that's important to you/her (looks), then you don't need any advice, but if you want something that sounds good, there are many better alternatives (e.g. ATH-M50 headphones)
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: Those Beats headphones are way overpriced for their sound quality. You are paying for its looks mainly. If that's important to you/her (looks), then you don't need any advice, but if you want something that sounds good, there are many better alternatives (e.g. ATH-M50 headphones)
^That is why. She into the 'hype' and looks I suppose.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Considering how overpriced they are...there isn't any "good" place to buy them....unless you want knockoffs from eBay/Hong Kong :P
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
gamerthumbs wrote: I am looking to buy a quality headset for my sister. She is wants a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones.

Where should I buy a pair? Dr. Dre Solo HD $179.99.
LOLz, overpriced BS. You know it's monster branded headset right?? All they did was slap Dr Dre on it, make a few slick commercials and print ads, then re-up the price to 100-150% it's real value. The only real value is going to Dr Dre, HTC, and Monster Inc's paycheck. Just a S/N - Dre has 35% ownership of the company. Dude's career was flopping on his latest albums back then and hit the jackpot by taking the chance to endorse the start up brand by asking for a 35% ownership. Now the guy is worth some $260-$300 mil +. He won the lottery, point blank. The other co-founder is Jimmy Lovine, the American Idol guy who is head of interscope records. Monster stopped producing Beats in 2012 and now market and sell their own line of headsets.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Mar 21, 2013
71 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Wow, give the guy a break. He's not asking for an alternative, just looking for the best deal.

If you have access to the Best Buy auction site, you can try there, they often have Beats:
https://bbycrz.dtdeals.com/auction/index.cfm?p=2
It says it's the employee site, but anyone can create an account if you are a RewardZone member.

Looking right now, they have 4 active auctions for Beats headphones.

I've bought a few things through there before and they've all been in pristine condition.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
Bought off Kijiji, saved almost 50%. These headphones man, they are overpriced compared to what other e-products delivers, no matter to what brands.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
buy used... with receipt from reputable dealer

there's plenty "BNIB" or "like new"
ShadowVlican
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
She insists on buying a pair regardless ...
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
If you must get these, get the Studio model, they are better sounding by far, and way more comfortable. I've seen it as low as $225 during Boxing Day. The Solo HD is really mediocre sounding compared to the Studio.

For these things, if you want authentic, I'd just buy them from an authorized dealer, way too many fakes floating around
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3141 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto
Don't buy these used on Kijiji, too many fakes etc.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
warpdrive wrote: The funny thing is: it's no longer a Monster product. Dr Dre/Beats dropped Monster as their partner

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre- ... -the-world
Maybe if you didnt selectively quote my post but instead quoted the ENTIRE post you would have realized I already said that. #FAIL

LOLz, overpriced BS. You know it's monster branded headset right?? All they did was slap Dr Dre on it, make a few slick commercials and print ads, then re-up the price to 100-150% it's real value. The only real value is going to Dr Dre, HTC, and Monster Inc's paycheck. Just a S/N - Dre has 35% ownership of the company. Dude's career was flopping on his latest albums back then and hit the jackpot by taking the chance to endorse the start up brand by asking for a 35% ownership. Now the guy is worth some $260-$300 mil +. He won the lottery, point blank. The other co-founder is Jimmy Lovine, the American Idol guy who is head of interscope records. Monster stopped producing Beats in 2012 and now market and sell their own line of headsets.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Basically Monster was stupid in the deal to sell patents, ownership, copyrights of everything Beats to Dre and Lovine for Hollywood glamour. Morons. Lovine and Universal aren't the only large branded musical company out there... they should of just signed endorsement deals with other music celebs from sony, rca, and other labels and keep their ownership. Now dre and lovine can legally claim they created and developed everything and no one can legally dispute it. Bill Gates always said.. it's not the replication of software where the money is at. That costs nothing. It's the developmental rights and patents. That's worth billions.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
I heard Dr. Dre is not even a real Doctor.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
Yup. Here's the entire story: http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre- ... -the-world

TLDR version:
- Monster wanted a new product line because they knew that eventually people would realize that their A/V cables were a ripoff.
- Kevin Lee, the son of the founder/CEO, had no experience and wanted to impress people. He eventually met with Jimmy Iovine, the co-founder of Interscope.
- Because the son was a newb AND he was doing this behind Monster/his dad's back, Iovine and Dre took advantage of the kid. The deal was one-sided in favour of the music moguls now called Beats by Dr Dre. They kept all the profits while Monster paid all the expenses.
- Monster designed and engineered the headphones. Beats wouldn't even let them put the Monster name anywhere.
- HTC comes along and offers $300 million to partner. Iovine and Dre, because the contract was one sided, easily making Monster sell their stake. Monster lost all patents and royalties.

So unlike their silly A/V cables, Monster had actual engineers design decent quality headphones, only to be ripped off in the process by Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre because a newbie kid was an idiot.
aznnorth wrote: Basically Monster was stupid in the deal to sell patents, ownership, copyrights of everything Beats to Dre and Lovine for Hollywood glamour.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)