Computers & Electronics

Best $ bang outdoor HD PoE surveillance cam?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2013 9:44 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Best $ bang outdoor HD PoE surveillance cam?

Anyone use a Hikvision?

And how does PoE work?
(Is it Camera>Cat5>PoE injector>router)
7 replies
Oct 15, 2008
174 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
It depends on how far you are from your router and whether your router is PoE capable or not. By your setup, if your router isn't PoE capable, then yes, your setup is correct. I've not used a Hikvision nor have I heard comments either way. If you are going outside, you'll want to make sure that the camera is IP66 rated and that it has environmental controls (heaters) to ensure operation in the environmental extremes of SWOntario weather.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Between 50-100ft.

Does the router need to be PoE capable? I thought the PoE switch in the middle took care of that.

(Asus N66U)
Oct 15, 2008
174 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
You can either have a PoE switch/router or you can have a regular router/switch with a PoE injector - whichever your preference. You don't need another switch in the middle - you can buy a PoE injector which is, more or less, an inline power injector for PoE devices - and it should be cheaper than purchasing a switch that is PoE just for the PoE function. The reason I asked the distance is that depending on the distance, you may need the injector. 50-100 feet, you should be fine with whatever you choose.
Mar 7, 2006
217 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Hey AncasterRFD,

I'm looking at getting the same brand HD camer. mini bullet style.
Have you found a source to procure the item yet?

You could also get this piece of equipment for future expansion on HD IP Camera's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-port-passive- ... 27c86d8853

the above 8 port passive POE power over Ethernet injector kit with 48v power supply is 802.3af compliant for IP camera's.
Future proof your investment.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
That was my thought (different now from my first post). A PoE switch should I eventually install other cameras. I saw one on the CanadaComputers site, or I'll pick one up when I'm by NCIX.

I'm researching different outdoor HD cameras. I rather have a dome under fascia than off an arm.
I'll get back to you on sources.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I just re-read your post. I'd go for a dome. You can't see where it's pointing.
Oct 15, 2008
174 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
If you can find a smoked dome, that's even better when it comes to obscuring the direction of lens. Personally, I tend to avoid IR illumination built into the camera - spiders seem to love IR illumination so in those locations where I have the IR in camera activated, all I record is spiders. But if you need near 0 lux performance in an inexpensive camera, IR does work (at relatively short distances).

Not sure how much other help you are looking for, but if you aren't exactly sure where you are mounting the camera or what you'll aim it at (and once you mount the camera, you may change your mind), while they can be more money, I like varifocal lenses. That gives more flexibility later in the process.

Good luck!