• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2013 5:55 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 30, 2013
4 posts

Ultrabook Advice

Goodmorning,

I'm looking into buying an ultrabook for use during my travels over the next couple years.

I just have a hard time with deciding on what to purchase for my usage. I'm looking for something that will be able to do normal Microsoft Office work and as well play Starcraft 2 online.

Because of the usage of the laptop I would prefer to not spend for then $500 before taxes and would prefer to buy from Futureshop.

Any advice would help.

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
Pretty much any ultrabook should be able to handle starcraft. I picked up a Toshiba u840w on the weekend for $500. The machine is pretty fast even though it runs a hard drive. The 32 gig ssd is only for cache.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
^
wrong.

You are going to need a high end ultrabook from company like ASUS to play SC II but it will easily cost $1,000.

Point! You are going to have a hard time finding a gaming ultrabook for $500.00
Jun 30, 2013
4 posts
george__ wrote: ^
wrong.

You are going to need a high end ultrabook from company like ASUS to play SC II but it will easily cost $1,000.

Is that because of the graphics card? Do I need dedicated rather than an Intel 4000?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Not much ultrabook choices for $500 from futureshop. Let alone a gaming laptop. To be able to play games like SC2 on high settings, you better look for Lenovo Y410/Y510 for $800 ~ $1000. Since this is out of your budget, stick to HD4000 in ivy bridge cpu like the Toshiba that was suggested.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
He doesn't need high setting or high FPS, you'll be fine with low/med detail and decent FPS with lower end processors/ int graphics.
He'll my core i3 with HD4000 plays Starcraft 2 and it functions well
george__ wrote: ^
wrong.

Jun 30, 2013
4 posts
That Toshiba laptop has a screen size that doesnt look very appealing for playing games, it's like widescreen - how's that look to you? Looks more like a movie laptop. If I budged to 6/700 would that make a difference?

And Ya - I don't need to run with the best details, just something thats decent and doesnt lag online!
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
mrmalta wrote: That Toshiba laptop has a screen size that doesnt look very appealing for playing games, it's like widescreen - how's that look to you? Looks more like a movie laptop. If I budged to 6/700 would that make a difference?

And Ya - I don't need to run with the best details, just something thats decent and doesnt lag online!
Pretty much every laptop now is 16:9 ratio for the screen.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
When was the last time you bought a monitor or laptop OP? Every single screen released has a widescreen aspect ratio or almost.

Also, 500 bucks is unrealistic. 700 before tax is the bare minimum.
Jun 30, 2013
4 posts
kenze wrote: When was the last time you bought a monitor or laptop OP? Every single screen released has a widescreen aspect ratio or almost.

Also, 500 bucks is unrealistic. 700 before tax is the bare minimum.
Uncalled for bud.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)